Focus, Frustration

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Fouad Faraj

Focus, Frustration

Postby Fouad Faraj » 28 Apr 2016 16:00

I have been a natural a lucid dreaming since I was a young child, however I have never managed to become an expert or even respectably good at it. I have 3-4 lucid dreams a month but they last at most for 10-30 seconds. I have done all the tricks, when I realize I am dreaming I first tell my self to remain calm and to focus. Then I try rubbing my hands together and doing some simple math and start touching the dream scape around me. I then demand the dream to become more clear and then try small interactions with my dream. I always start simple but my dream rejects me, for example: I see a wild animal and try to pet it saying this is my dream the animal wont bit me but it does. Usually after I fail to sculpt my dream scape I instantly lose focus and wake up. I have severe attention deficit and focus is not something I can do very easily, is it possible to be a successful lucid dreamer if I cannot properly focus in order to stay lucid? I have read so many articles about people who have been successful lucid dreamers and I really want that! I want to be able to create my own adventures and have them last for longer than a few seconds.

I also understand that the issue could be my habits throughout the day. Also due to my ADD I struggle to meditate. My mother always tried to teach me how to do it and she would explain to me how she would be able to visualize herself in a beautiful field, with a gentle flowing stream, and birds chirping. I have never been able to meditate properly even with relaxation music, I just start thinking about things that have happened earlier today or several years ago or what will happen in the future. I just cannot stay focused in order to prepare my mind for the night. Can anyone give me some tips on how to meditate properly?

ThePurple

Re: Focus, Frustration

Postby ThePurple » 28 Apr 2016 22:18

As a person also previously labeled ADD, I understand the struggle! If you have only tried visualization-style meditation, this could be why it's not working. I find that too active and demanding. Vipassana / mindfulness meditation is the way to go. I can try to scrounge up a good link, unless someone else on this forum *cough Summerlander cough* jumps in and leads you in the right direction.

For now I would emphasize that trying to actively suppress your wandering or intrusive thoughts does not work. Instead, recognize them and bring your attention back, declining to be dragged around by them. ("Yes, I see you memory of that awkward thing I did in 5th grade, but no I will not relive it as I am watching myself breathe right now.") Also, have patience with yourself. When you feel like every few seconds it's a new random thought, try not to be frustrated. Though it may feel like failure, it is actually success of the first step, recognizing those thoughts as they arise, rather than allowing them to tie up your attention unchecked.

To be continued...

Fouad Faraj

Re: Focus, Frustration

Postby Fouad Faraj » 29 Apr 2016 03:10

Thanks for the reply, your words have brought me encouragement! I'll have to look into these different methods of meditation and give them a go!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”