Needing help with getting in "the habbit"

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Frisout

Needing help with getting in "the habbit"

Postby Frisout » 29 Apr 2016 22:37

So I am 17 year old and I've started lucid dreaming again for a few months now, I have around 1 or 2 dreams per week.
My problem, however, is getting in the habbit of reality checks.
I always find a method which I try, it does really become a habbit aka I do it automaticly, I get a few lucid dreams this way and then the habbit just stops out of nowhere.
I had this so many times, I even used reminders in my phone each hour to help me but I automaticly started to ignore them even though I dont want to.

I really want to find a way to get lucid and then hold on to it since I am getting really tired of searching for so many technics and then stopping them after a week.
It seems to go automaticly, if it was all about me I would have kept the first method immediately since it works fine, but my body just refuses to continue after a week.

Anyone here who can help me?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

ThePurple

Re: Needing help with getting in "the habbit"

Postby ThePurple » 30 Apr 2016 01:17

I dunno, I find reality checks overrated, at least as they are commonly practiced. I also tried to form the habit only to drop it a week or two later, yet increased my rate of lucidity in the weeks that followed regardless, just by keeping the topic of lucid dreaming in my mind in a less routine way. I think a specific action that is done repeatedly and in a way dissociated from context begins to obscure the concept behind, which is to question the nature of your existence amid the activities of daily life.

An alternative exercise I like is one from Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge, in which he gives four events, different for each day of the week, that you then attempt to notice and use as triggers for the question "am I dreaming?" Friday, for example, you are to notice and ask the next time you open a door, see a bird, use the toilet after noon, and see the stars. You then determine the answer not by diverting your attention and poking your hand, but by assessing whether your surroundings are doing strange things, whether you remember how you got here, etc. By connecting the process to details of your experience, rather than a timer, it trains your critical awareness in a much more effective way. Not to mention memory!

Then again, if RCs worked for you, I guess you're just asking for a way to keep them up. Try stacking the habit onto established habits, like when you wash your hands or something. Better yet, put them with situations that pop up in your dreams a lot. You do have a journal, yes? Just looking over this and understanding your dreams better will increase the likelihood of gaining lucidity.

Frisout

Postby Frisout » 30 Apr 2016 07:15

Well as you can read in my other topic called "Physical reality checks problem" I do only use mental reailty checks aka asking questions like "Why am I here, What am I doing here, what did I do 1 hour ago, what is going on" etc.
Physical reality checks like pushing your hand did become a habit but in dreams themself they all failed.

So yea, all you said already kinda applies to me, but I am still having problems keeping it up regulary

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 30 Apr 2016 16:53

Yeah, I went off track a bit there. What I was going to say was, I don't really do any RCs, but still get plenty of lucid dreams simply because I think about lucid dreaming every day. I think about what I want to do in the next lucid dream, how I might get around or otherwise control. I add a little commentary under dreams recorded in my journal, and find themes or moments I could have become lucid and didn't. I look back on previous lucid dreams, remember my successes, and contemplate what I might have liked to do differently. I read a little from a LD book, or go on tangents at someone on a forum. All this keeps the idea present in my mind, which spills over into the night.

Sorry I missed that about physical versus awareness-style RCs. I do think those questions you direct at yourself will be very beneficial, but you're not going to do it because someone else says to. That's the best way to make someone avoid a good habit, make it sound like an assignment!

At the risk of sounding even more like a cheesy authority figure, the motivation must come from within. This task you're avoiding is for some reason not connected in your mind to how much you want to dream lucidly. Spend some time thinking about exactly why you are interested, something more concrete than "because it's awesome," though that may be at least half of it. When you pick up the habit again, check that you are thinking of it as a direct action toward this thing that you want. It may feel in the moment like you're taking precious time out of your life, when you are actually adding to your conscious lifetime by doing so. "Lose" one minute in a world constrained by physics and social consequences, gain many in a world of your own creation... what a deal!

Frisout

Postby Frisout » 30 Apr 2016 20:15

Alright, that sounds reasonable.

I am seeing some problems in your style tho, if you make it a habbit to just think about lucidity, then you will also just think about it in dreams without seeing that you are actualy dreaming, since in a dream everything feels realistic at first

I litteraly had multiple dreams where I am reading about lucid dreams, when I woke up I felt so stupid for not realising it xD

Anyways, thanks for the reply, I will think about it next time

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 30 Apr 2016 20:50

Frisout wrote: if you make it a habbit to just think about lucidity, then you will also just think about it in dreams without seeing that you are actualy dreaming, since in a dream everything feels realistic at first

I litteraly had multiple dreams where I am reading about lucid dreams, when I woke up I felt so stupid for not realising it xD

Hah! Ok, point taken. I may have had a few of those myself... :roll:
It's definitely not a replacement for actually looking up and checking state, but thinking in relation to my own experiences seems to work well for me.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”