Swallow Reflex

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Grant___Benson

Swallow Reflex

Postby Grant___Benson » 04 May 2016 00:06

So I just started my Lucid Dreaming journey last week and I practice/attempt it every night. Of course I haven't had one yet, but I'm pretty determined I'll have one some day. The one ridiculous thing that holds me back though is the swallow reflex you get as saliva builds up in your throat. I've researched and tried multiple ways to by pass this but none of the methods worked and I just end up giving up. From tilting my head on my pillow, to holding my mouth completely closed, to resting my tongue in different positions in my mouth, to rolling on my side or stomach, none of them were helpful. I was attempting a FILD last night and it didn't work due to the fact that I was either not sleepy enough or the swallow reflex kept pulling me back. Any help on the subject? I feel if I could get this out of the way I could be well on my way.

Thanks!

HAGART

Re: Swallow Reflex

Postby HAGART » 06 May 2016 04:17

We're not aware of swallowing all day long, just like we are not aware of blinking. Why? It's an automatic reflex like breathing. Speaking of which, if you focus on breathing too much and think you are forgetting to breath that will be hard to sleep knowing about too.

Blinking, breathing and swallowing are both voluntary and involuntary. It's one of those things you have to just stop thinking about, but yes, it can be hard once it becomes your entire focus.

I've actually never had a problem with the swallowing reflex in the past, but I hope this was helpful and makes you think about it a different way.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Grant___Benson

Postby Grant___Benson » 10 May 2016 00:00

Good point. It usually happens when I'm confidently falling to sleep and then my focus gets taken to my saliva buildup for just one second and I can't stop my focus, but I understand it will take practice. Thank you!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 May 2016 05:43

I hate to be the only person to answer and long to be wrong, but it made sense, didn't it.

It's like hearing about eyebrows, which is something we never notice, but once someone mentions it, that's all you can see! I bet someone just now examined themselves in the mirror. :D

My point is, think about thought, and let it carry you, not bodily nonsense, but if you do feel a need to swallow or scratch an itch, do it and go back and contemplate what made you do that and what 'reflex' even means.

We all have it, but have 2 choices:
Accept or Ignore, but both should but done with as little movement or disruption as possible. Although, I say "quiet", I mean with as little bodily disturbance.

And if it snaps you out of a deep trance, no problem. You can go back, and question and evaluate was is happening and become even better at it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”