Wake and back to bed

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
ian

Wake and back to bed

Postby ian » 05 May 2016 16:59

Has anyone tried this? I did it last night, but got nowhere.

Am I right in thinking that i should remain awake for as long as I can ? So tempting to just nod off.

Archvenom

Re: Wake and back to bed

Postby Archvenom » 06 May 2016 00:00

Hi Ian. The length of time you need to stay awake when you're doing a wake back to bed varies from person to person. You just need to experiment with different lengths to find what works best for you. It could be 1min or 30mins. Have a tinker and see how you get on.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 06 May 2016 08:12

You don't necessarily need to stay up as long as possible, but definitely until you no longer feel like you're about to nod off. This isn't necessarily about the length of time, though, as much as what you do with it. Don't occupy yourself with passive, mindless activity, which barely qualifies as conscious. Don't launch into your todo list either, or the stresses of daily life will distract you from your goal. Simulate and focus your mind, wake up your critical thinking and awareness, so that it is ready to be there in your dream when you return.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 May 2016 05:50

ThePurple wrote:You don't necessarily need to stay up as long as possible, but definitely until you no longer feel like you're about to nod off.

Yes, get out of that foggy state where you can so easily drift back into a day dream or hypnagogia. That's all that's required. Going back to sleep after that can be hard. For me, it takes over 30-60 minutes to sleep again. I'm not always lucid and don't practice techniques often, but almost always get up for a bit in the middle of the night and go back to sleep, usually just to take a leak and drink some water. For some reason the body loves to replenish the water supply when sleeping.

Lucid or not, I love doing it anyway because dreams are so much more vivid afterward. I recommend the habit and infact, if you do some research online, you will find out that it's actually normal and people in the past, before the advent of computers, television and artificial light, use to sleep much differently in two periods. It's actually not natural to sleep solid for a full 7-9 hours straight.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 May 2016 11:16

I used to advise people to stay up for at least 20 minutes before returning to bed to induce a WILD. But just the other day I practically got up to use the toilet (taking about 5 minutes) and went back to bed. After relaxing for less than a minute I began to experience a gentle tugging at my feet. I knew straight away what was happening so I let this dream force go all the way. (I made no effort to move as I slid off the bed.) Then I found myself standing in front of my bedroom mirror, staring at my deformed reflection. I didn't need any further indications that I was successful ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

ronxri94

Postby ronxri94 » 24 May 2016 13:29

Yes, Wake and back to bed has proved to be quite the effective technique for me. I used to go for yoga early morning. This involved me waking up at 5.30 AM (after sleeping for 4.5 hours), and going back to bed around 8ish...I used to have vivid dreams almost everyday during the approx 3 months I did this for. After nearly 90 new entries in my dream journal, my tab crashed and I lost the entire data. Stopped actively dream journalling after this, and my dream frequency more or less faded away into almost nothing.

This was a couple of years back. Looking to start again next week :mrgreen:

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”