What was this?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Kate

What was this?

Postby Kate » 06 May 2016 07:48

Last night I was going to sleep in a new bed (I'm on vacation) and after a while I opened my eyes and saw purple by the door, I thought it was just my eyes adjusting but a song if never heard before was in my head. The thing is I thought I was awake... Was this an obe or just a normal dream,

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Re: What was this?

Postby HAGART » 08 May 2016 04:57

saw purple by the door

I wonder what The Purple was doing there? Stop scaring people in their dreams!
(I wonder if they will read this, but if they do, I'm sure they'll laugh)

Jokes aside, I get those a lot. They're each different, but it's still the same phenomenon. It's basically a false awakening, but because they happen while in bed, and I'm trying to sleep again, I have dubbed them, "false sleepenings". It's the same sort of thing and like others I know, I prefer to call it "The Phase" and it encompasses all those weird moments. You were 99% away from a lucid dream if you got up and started to explore. And yes, it can feel as real as getting up in real life.

I still don't think it's in an OBE, unless I change the definition of one. Feeling a sense of place in our bodies when awake is kind of an illusion anyway.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 08 May 2016 06:27

Oops! I hope I didn't scare you! The song was from me, too, I just hummed it really quietly so you wouldn't know where it was coming from.

(In case it's not obvious, I am completely kidding. I cannot visit you.)

There are so many strange phenomena that arise at the edges of sleep. The song could have been a remnant from a dream, it's not unusual for people to hear or write novel compositions there, though those could also be existing songs one doesn't know they know. Phantom colours could be explained in many ways, from afterimage to hypnopomic imagery... It's hard to say exactly what it was, and I don't think separate titles are very important in most cases.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 May 2016 07:25

:lol:
I just had to do it. It was handed to me on a silver platter right on my lap, so I just had to make that joke.

Jokes aside, we both gave intelligent replies in the end. This sort of thing is truly weird for those who don't experience it often and I won't jest about the feelings of such an event. I have been there and know what it's like. That also drives me to create comic relief because experiences like this can get very serious.

Those states of mind are very bizarre, and can even be frightening. Most can never talk to family about it, and seek for those who understand elsewhere, online, to find solace to verify that they're not alone.

You're not alone, Kate.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”