First Lucid Dream Unintentionally?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
haileymorgan13

First Lucid Dream Unintentionally?

Postby haileymorgan13 » 11 May 2016 12:06

So, I believe that yesterday, I may have had my first lucid dream without even intending to do it. I've performed reality checks throughout the day for the past week, and the one that I use is to try and push your finger through your palm and if you can do it, you're dreaming. Yesterday, I woke up at around 4 AM and got up with my boyfriend and we watched movies and stuff until around 6 and then ended up getting in an argument before he went to work and then I ended up going back to sleep.

I had a nightmare, in which he was the cause of my fear, and I believe firmly that us arguing and not making up before me going back to sleep is what caused that. However, I remember my dream very clearly, which is very strange for me because I usually don't remember even tiny details about my dreams, so much so that for the past few months until just recently, it's been as though I haven't been dreaming at all simply because I don't recall any of it. But this one I remember. In the dream, we were fighting and he was yelling at me and threatening to hurt me and I remember thinking to myself, "try and push your finger through your palm - he wouldn't treat you this way, this must be a nightmare" but because my dream self thought it was odd to perform a reality check in front of somebody, since I keep these sort of things to myself, I didn't try it, but in my mind, I was continuously telling myself that this was a nightmare and not to be scared because I would wake up.

I had no control of the dream of anything like that, but I recall being aware that it wasn't real. Not aware enough that I could stop the nightmare and change it into something good, but aware enough that I wanted to perform a reality check and aware enough that I knew not to freak out because this had to be a nightmare.

Was it a lucid dream?

Enra Traz

Re: First Lucid Dream Unintentionally?

Postby Enra Traz » 11 May 2016 12:51

You seem to be describing a pre-lucid dream--a dream that potentially leads to a full-fledged lucid dream. You can certainly use nightmares as dream cues to trigger lucidity. I don't think you were lucid in this dream because you were still involved in its plot as though it were really happening. You didn't know for sure it was a dream because, as you pointed out, you were reluctant to perform a reality check in front of a dream character you took to be your boyfriend. You might have had a slight moment of clarity, but it wasn't enough to obliterate that niggling doubt Keep trying, though. This dream is definitely a sign that whatever you're doing in waking life is about to pay off. :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”