Speaking to inanimate objects

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
bob_syr

Speaking to inanimate objects

Postby bob_syr » 15 May 2016 19:44

I read with interest Hagart’s item about how he spoke with a bag of lemon citron candy in a dream and was given his username by it. I had the following lucid dream: I was in bed and looked around the bedroom and there were many extra objects, like cabinets, blocks of wood on the wall, a lot of them all over the bedroom. I was sitting on the side of my bed and realized this must be a dream. I got up and started touching things. I touched a cabinet that was never there before. It had no substance whatsoever, my hand went right through it. It was the same with other new objects, hand went right through them. I even waved my hand around a bit to see if I could mix up the particles. I couldn’t. Nothing happened except the object was still there. I then touched a cabinet that was supposed to be there, a real one. My hand didn’t go through the wood, but it felt much softer than the wood from which it was made.

After I read Hagart’s entry, I realized I should have tried to speak to these items. I thought about it the following day and wondered where the voice would come from. Maybe the “ghost” cabinet has a little mouth some place. I do have a name for my unconscious, it’s Upton Stewart. If I ever do have the opportunity to talk to an object, I’ll ask whether or not that name is favorable or maybe would like to be called something different. Thanks Hagart, thanks, guys for listening. – Bob Syr

Summerlander

Re: Speaking to inanimate objects

Postby Summerlander » 15 May 2016 21:03

What an interesting observation. The strange objects were ghostly but the familiar ones---real life's dream counterparts---had more substance. The neural connections that represent the mental models for the objective world must be effectively stronger than the ones recently concocted by the subconscious. In the dream world, the result was that you could tactfully distinguish what was memory-based from what was completely and subconsciously made up.Techniques for intensification, however, can change all that and solidify the entire dream environment. Thanks for sharing. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 May 2016 06:26

I'm glad I made an impression on somebody. I forget that everything I say does in fact influence people even if I don't get an immediate reply telling me so.

What is a dream character? It's just a figment of our imagination. Why does it even have to be a person? I've talked to animals and even a plant once. I think the underlying force behind all dream characters is just ourselves talking to an imaginary friend who happens to talk back. For lack of a better word, I call it subconscious, but it might actually be another whole aspect of ourselves, being such a social creature that we are. A large part of our brains is devoted to speech. So whatever it is, it can take any visual form it wants, and doesn't even need one at all.

In that dream I shared about the origin of my username, I didn't fully realize it at the time, but now, after many other lucid dreams, talking to what I can only describe as my subconscious, the voice is not coming from any discernible place. It's happening between my ears.

Thanks for writing and thinking of me. Now I'm contemplating it all deeper too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 May 2016 06:28

Oh, and one more thing. I found it interesting too how some objects were 'solid' and others where not based on your memory of reality and how it should be.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”