Sleeping on the floor

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
Knife

Sleeping on the floor

Postby Knife » 26 May 2016 15:17

I recently started sleeping on a thin yogamat on the floor. It's supposed to be beneficial for back health and I guess I like to challenge myself :mrgreen: I really enjoy it actually. I've read a few articles on the web listing the benefits of sleeping on the ground.

Now I'm getting back into LD's I'd like to know if there's anyone who has experience with sleeping on the floor. Does it influence (lucid) dreaming in one way or another?

Since I had to change my posture to laying on my back I guess that might change something, I'm actually reading some articles about sleep postures right now.
Inherit the earth

HAGART

Re: Sleeping on the floor

Postby HAGART » 27 May 2016 08:36

I have slept on the floor before, and it was actually quite cozy, just like any place is once you have a blanket and pillow. I've seen a lot of anime, and they also sleep on the floor, with a different style of pillow and blanket. Most never even think about how other cultures sleep, or go to the bathroom, but it's all different.

I tend to crash wherever I can, and don't have a formal "bedroom". I do have a formal room devoted to bath were I do some personal business dealings. ;)

As for sleeping positions, that is a great thing to bring up. I'm a side-sleeper, in the semi-fetal position. There are many kinds, and some speculate they are based on our personality. Anyone can look that up and learn more.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Knife

Postby Knife » 27 May 2016 19:57

Yea I actually like sleeping on the floor, I don't even use a pillow. It's pretty ridiculous if you overthink the need of a bed that's expensive, minimalist living is the shit.

I usually sleep in the fetal position too, but it's uncomfortable on hard surfaces. I'd wake up with a sore arm or something spo I had to adjust to laying on my back. Past two days my knee joint hurt like hell tho, so tonight I'm going to sleep in my bed again to check if its due to the sleep posture change.

U noticed something that affects dreaming by sleeping on the floor? I actually remember more dreams the past days but I guess that's because I'm reading this forum again and focusing on it. I also wake up and snooze more because I'm still adjusting to that new sleep postures so the dreams are more vivid.

Somehow sleeping on the floor makes me feel more primate and connected to the earth though, I was hoping something like this could influence dreams. Just experimenting over here :geek: :mrgreen:
Inherit the earth

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 May 2016 22:17

Any sort of change in the way you sleep will affect dreams.

Whether it's position, place or time, ect... the list can go on.

Keep at it, and have fun experimenting with it.

Knife

Postby Knife » 28 May 2016 05:24

Slept in my bed tonight and my knee feels alright, hope to keep it that way through the day so i can go run this evening.

I have zero dream recall of tonight though. Since I don't have to work tomorrow I'll be sleeping on the floor tonight again.
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 31 May 2016 21:01

When I was a building assistant in Eastcote, London, I was sleeping on the floor in the house I was working on.

My mattress wasn't exactly comfortable, but after a day's work I 'd take a shower and get my head down early---setting the alarm for 3am to induce lucid dreams.

And then I'd wake up refreshed at 7am and ready to have breakfast and resume working. It was great! I'd go to bed tired but with the incentive to lucid dream later in the middle of the night.

I managed a few superb out-of-body experiences of flying out of the house to be confronted by a dream world unlike the reality of Eastcote.

Sometimes I'd get up around 2.30am after having slept since 9.30pm, staying up for no more than 10 minutes to use the loo, and return to the mattress to find myself apparently cannonballing out of my body within ostensibly the first few seconds!

It seemed like the perfect recipe at the time: using work to induce lucid dreaming. :-P
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 01 Jun 2016 21:56

Summerlander wrote:When I was a building assistant in Eastcote, London, I was sleeping on the floor in the house I was working on.

My mattress wasn't exactly comfortable, but after a day's work I 'd take a shower and get my head down early---setting the alarm for 3am to induce lucid dreams.

And then I'd wake up refreshed at 7am and ready to have breakfast and resume working. It was great! I'd go to bed tired but with the incentive to lucid dream later in the middle of the night.

I managed a few superb out-of-body experiences of flying out of the house to be confronted by a dream world unlike the reality of Eastcote.

Sometimes I'd get up around 2.30am after having slept since 9.30pm, staying up for no more than 10 minutes to use the loo, and return to the mattress to find myself apparently cannonballing out of my body within ostensibly the first few seconds!

It seemed like the perfect recipe at the time: using work to induce lucid dreaming. :-P

That sounds awesome! When you're tired you can sleep everywhere :mrgreen:
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jun 2016 23:29

Exactly! Mate, I was loving it because I was practically having OBEs every night! And the dream world outside the house was nuts! I didn't even know the area well in real life so my mind would just make crazy stuff up. In one WILD I had, the house itself looked even bigger than in real life---it was like an amazing gothic castle (like I had travelled back in time). In another lucid dream the surroundings shimmered with beautiful colours and it wouldn't stop; like weird vibrations shaking the contours of dream objects. I guess that lucid dream was pleasantly unstable. I don't know how else to put it! :-P
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Jun 2016 08:49

Words are inert.
They're just plastered on a screen to read and others try to find meaning in a desperate attempt to not just gain knowledge, but truly understand one another, but it's not only impossible here, but even even if we spoke face to face.

With that said.... I know what you mean, Summerlander, and The Knife.

(I had a moment of Zen, reading all posts here and just want to point out how we all sit, comfortably reading in our spare time, but nobody has truly gotten to know each other. And maybe it's a good thing. Being distant is easier to share feelings than talking to those in our real life, circle of friends and family.)

My after thought was longer than my post. I'm in a deep, thinking mood at the moment.

I should write in the shocking truth thread and pour it out there perhaps.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Jun 2016 16:24

Hagart wrote:Words are inert.
They're just plastered on a screen to read and others try to find meaning in a desperate attempt to not just gain knowledge, but truly understand one another, but it's not only impossible here, but even even if we spoke face to face.

You are certainly right in pointing out the obstacle, Hagart. Words alone are not enough to convey one's conceptions to others. Readers will never truly know how their authors envisioned their stories, but their minds will picture a model based on the words and syntax they're exposed to.

That's why I like illustration and will use it to bring my book about lucid dreaming to life! Some of my art displayed on the dream art section will be included in the book and help it to convey my experiences to a degree of accuracy. Readers will formulate mental models which will surely be somewhat related to the originals. 8-)

Hagart wrote:(I had a moment of Zen, reading all posts here and just want to point out how we all sit, comfortably reading in our spare time, but nobody has truly gotten to know each other. And maybe it's a good thing. Being distant is easier to share feelings than talking to those in our real life, circle of friends and family.)

That's why we usually talk to counsellors and shrinks about our problems and open up. We tend to impulsively pour all kinds of emotions onto the ones we love the most---those closest to us---including anger. Humans can be complicated. ;-)

Hagart wrote:My after thought was longer than my post. I'm in a deep, thinking mood at the moment.

I should write in the shocking truth thread and pour it out there perhaps.

Please do so. It is officially our chat room for deep thinking. I should have called it 'Cyber-philosophers Society' (CPS). We are all members of the CPS. :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”