A serious look into lucid dreaming

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
AndrewT

A serious look into lucid dreaming

Postby AndrewT » 27 May 2016 17:45

I just read the article on making lucid dreams last longer. I'm just getting into lucid dreams. I've had a handful in my life, but the reason that article caught my eye is because--yes--they don't last. I did actually try spinning around once. I felt like while I was spinning, it was bringing stability to the dream state. But inevitably it wasn't enough, and I lost it a few seconds later. In the half-dozen or so lucid dreams I remember, none have lasted longer than a minute or so. In the one or two dreams that did last longer, I'd have forgotten I was dreaming after a minute or so.

Over the years I've looked into how to lucid dream, but I haven't really been serious about any techniques until Buck Books put up a lucid dream ebook for $0.99 last week. I finished the book a few days ago (it promotes the MILD technique), and now I'm hooked. I'm getting myself used to doing reality checks frequently throughout the day. The book suggested using prospective memory to invoke a reminder to do a reality check--choosing one more objects each morning as a memory trigger. Today I've chosen red trraffic lights.

Another motivation for lucid dreaming is because I've recently discovered flight, and I want to explore it further. For most of my life, I was a high-jumper, not a flyer. It took a slight jump to launch me high into the air, as if the world had micro-gravity. I found myself miles above the city, only to come back down. The stomach-in-throat feeling all the way down, landing hard and painful to my feet, only to bounce back up and repeat. But a dream about a year ago was different. Instead of staying vertical to the ground, I flattened my body out like a bird--and found myself aloft in the air. No falling--I was flying.

Then about half a year ago I had another flight dream, building on that previous one. That time I was gently jumping forward and bringing my arms out. I was only a foot or two off the ground, so I just propelled mysefl by pulling or pushing at an object (a wooden bench), and I floated along. As long as I was horizontal to the ground and my arms were straight out, I was floating.

I haven't had a flying dream since, but after reading that lucid dreaming ebook, I want to explore that flying experience more. So now I'm following the lessons of reality checks and MILD, and I hope to have a lucid dream soon.

Cheers,
Andrew

MaryMoon

Re: A serious look into lucid dreaming

Postby MaryMoon » 28 May 2016 20:06

Hello!
I have noticed that my lucid dreams only last longer when I "practice" a lot, flying is so exciting I think its one of the reasons it lasts such a short time, but I feel you, it´s so fun and amazing to try, its the first thing I try when I find myself lucid, take a high jump and fly! Its my favourite way to escape attackers too.
I need to look up that MILD technique you say, the one that has worked for me so far, is remembering to do several daily reality checks (I count the fingers of one of my hands, and count 1, 2, 3, and 4, because Im counting with my thumb, and if Im dreaming, I count 5! so I have six fingers and my hand looks all weird, and that´s my trigger) and besides the reality checks, what really helped was keeping a dreams diary beside my bed and write all I could remember as soon as I woke up, I started to have lucidity way more often with this. Practicing this way, one day,while dreaming, I could actually look at myself in a big mirror, and was able to change my clothes with just thinking about it! I couldnt believe it! besides flying thats the most amazing thing Ive done while lucid dreaming! Changing location with just a thought is also interesting, but really hard to do, Ive only made it once, but its really worth the try :)
MM
MM

AndrewT

Re: A serious look into lucid dreaming

Postby AndrewT » 29 May 2016 03:40

MILD = Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams. Rebecca explains it in one of her posts:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/mnemonic-induction-of-lucid-dreams.html

You already described steps 1 & 2, so you're halfway there. :)

If I remember correctly, I was being attacked by something one of the times I went lucid, and I tried to will my dream to produce a knife I can fight with. Didn't happen, so I ran. I think at that point I forgot I was dreaming.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”