Harambe the gorilla

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
spike spiegel

Harambe the gorilla

Postby spike spiegel » 07 Jun 2016 21:59

What do you guys think of the killing of Harambe the gorilla?

Summerlander

Re: Harambe the gorilla

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jun 2016 00:14

I think the parents are to blame for not keeping an eye on the kid. But given the urgency of the situation at the time---and unfortunately for the gorilla---they had no choice. The animal was already dragging the child at a tremendous speed and could have killed him. The gorilla did not know how much stronger it was than the kid. A tranquiliser wouldn't have worked fast enough and the gorilla could have stumbled and fallen on top of the boy.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

spike spiegel

Postby spike spiegel » 08 Jun 2016 05:22

Summerlander wrote:I think the parents are to blame for not keeping an eye on the kid. But given the urgency of the situation at the time---and unfortunately for the gorilla---they had no choice. The animal was already dragging the child at a tremendous speed and could have killed him. The gorilla did not know how much stronger it was than the kid. A tranquiliser wouldn't have worked fast enough and the gorilla could have stumbled and fallen on top of the boy.

I guess there was no other option.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jun 2016 17:32

Not at the time. But parents can certainly keep an eye on their kids in future. :roll:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 08 Jun 2016 20:22

Fuck those parents. First of all they should've kept that kid out of there. If I was that kid's father I'd jump in there to get him instead of screaming "that's my child :cry: wee wee". The kid should've responded with "Yo fucking pussy you're acting like you're my kid instead just come get me!" :mrgreen:

First of all are these people keeping the gorilla locked up, then they shoot him because someone got into the small area he can live in?

I'm not a "green" dude but people need to stop acting so fucking caring about human life. Yea it's terrible to lose your kid (wasn't a certainity yet) but accidents happen, that's life. Silverbacks are an endangered species, what's gonna happen to them if they get shot in zoo's too?

Fuck this shit, I don't even care who or what dies so far away, none of my business and I'm not going to act like I care about it too much but from an personal believe point of view this is just not right.
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jun 2016 23:09

I see what you're saying and empathise to a certain extent, Sir Knife, but I guess we, in general, tend to value our species over others. We sometimes conjure up reasons for this on the basis that in evolution, our survival instinct must supersede that of other creatures.

One can also make the case that, despite the fact that gorillas are an endangered species, human life has potential to do more in the world; our neoencephalons are undeniably far more superior than those of other apes and the kid in this story---who has, needless to say, his whole life ahead of him---could become a great genius who solves the problem of global warming (for example).

We could also reasonably ask: What would be more productive on a global scale, the human child or the gorilla who would never amount to anything significant? And imagine if we had the foreknowledge that the child grows up to become the protector of thousands of gorillas? How much more urgent does it now seem to sacrifice the life of Harambe for the potential salvation of his species?

Of course, my reasoning is based on uncertainties, but these are possibilities, nonetheless, if the human fledgeling is saved over the gorilla precisely because the former has the potential capacity to problem-solve that the latter does not possess. 8-)

On an ethical note, is the fact that silverbacks are an endangered species a good enough reason to risk the life of a human child?

Based on everything I've opined, I see no good reason to risk the life of a child in order to save and preserve one silverback. The whole thing was an accident waiting to happen and none of the parties involved wished for the death of Harambe ab initio.

Hopefully we can all learn from this ... :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 09 Jun 2016 18:58

I find it weird how people care more about the life of a little child than a grown up, animal or man, but that's just me haha. I mean I don't really think it's weird but it still doesn't make too much sense to me.

I doubt those parents will raise a future genius though :mrgreen: Well who knows.

I'm just mad at the "safe space" attitude of modern society. Based on the whole idea of revolution it all makes sense, but my morals and standards got in the way 8-)
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Jun 2016 19:57

I understand what you're saying though. In many respects, we are an arrogant species. Perhaps that kid will develop an interest in science and make discoveries that will revolutionise the world.

There is also the possibility that he could turn into a human monster worse than Hitler---an uncertainty I neglected to mention! If the mass murderer scenario becomes true, people will certainly look back and think, 'We should have spared poor Harambe!'

In any case, we couldn't have known. Time will tell what sort of human being that kid will become. Some silverbacks are definitely more valuable than human scumbags. (Before Harambe, I remember another case where a gorilla protected a man from other gorillas---the kind of move a human psychopath would probably not consider.)

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 09 Jun 2016 20:32

Yea gorilla's are no agressive creatures, it wouldn't have killed the kid intentionally. I've just read an article about a zoo-keeper who used to work with gorilla's explaining the behavior in the video because some people claimed Harambe was actually protecting the child. Although I'm not a fan of keeping animals caged for entertainment, you can't really blame the zoo-keepers. A child getting killed by one of their animals would result in law suits and maybe closure of the zoo. I think the outrage would be way harder if they didn't kill Harambe and video's of a kid's killing were floating all over reddit. Neither can we blame the gorilla because of obvious reasons.

Conclusion: I still blame the parents for not watching their little explorer and not getting him themselves. Also the crowd screaming didn't really calm down the gorilla to help him calm down. Most people nowadays are so fucking stupid. Relying on technology and safe space is going to get us into big trouble one day.
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Jun 2016 23:34

I certainly agree with you that the parents were irresponsible twats! :lol:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”