Dangers! Inside and Outside Lucid Dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
eeeka7

Dangers! Inside and Outside Lucid Dreaming?

Postby eeeka7 » 10 Jun 2016 08:28

Dangers: Inside and Outside Lucid Dreaming?

Recently I have been experimenting with lucid dreaming and done a little bit of digging on the subject matter (I mean a lot of digging) to try and find out what the dangers of lucid dreaming may be.

What I’ve found scares me but also intrigues me.

For the problems that exist outside the lucid dream here’s what I’ve been able to find/have experienced.

Lucid dreaming side effects that I have come across include: exhaustion, dissociation from reality, difficulty distinguishing real memories from dreamt ones, distancing, and problems waking up. I definitely do not want to experience any of these side effects.

Other sites comment on the science behind lucid dreaming which helped me understand why it can lead to exhaustion. Lucid dreaming causes increased activity in the prefrontal cortex of the brain, which doesn’t allow the brain to fully rest because it is in a semi-conscious state. Thus exhaustion ensues.

While, I have not experiences these issues myself, one of my friends was drastically affected after lucid dreaming for a while. He had been keeping a dream journal and going along with a lot of the recommendations online for successful lucid dreaming. My once joyful and enthusiastic friend started showing up to school exhausted, lacking his normal vigor and excitement. His health worsened and eventually he developed insomnia and was forced to miss a lot of school because he was physically incapable. While is evidence is certainly anecdotal, it is not something I can simply ignore.

Despite the many sites that comment on the dangers of lucid dreaming, others claim that the only danger of lucid dreaming, is wanting to continue doing it so much because of how fun it was. Other sites conclude that the phenomenon is totally safe and presented no threat to physical or mental health. Some dream analysts possess a positive outlook of lucid dreaming suggesting that the only side affects that can result include “happiness, self-realization and wonderment of the human brain.” This is obviously a stark contrast to the imminent threat that I felt while reading the more negative articles.

The conclusion I think is best is by the Lucid Dream Site which states although the majority of lucid dream enthusiasts might be quick to say that lucid dreaming is completely safe, I would say that dream work in general is mostly safe.”

However, this isn’t really a conclusion. And does not provide us with an answer.

The information and research on the dangers on lucid dreaming is extremely inconsistent. Just like the job of the lucid dreamer is to recognize inconsistencies within the dream in order to achieve lucidity, I’ve had to recognize the inconsistencies within my research.

The inference that this brings me to is that lucid dreams can vary drastically person to person, an absolutely wonderful adventure, to an anxiety-burdened sleep-deprived life.

Anecdotal evidence is the culprit behind this division; some people experience great lucid dreaming and others are plagued by it.

Question #1: So my question is: Are there dangers to lucid dreaming? If so, what have you experienced? Also if anyone has evidence leaning a certain way that would be interesting too.

Secondly, I’d like to touch on the dangers that exist within the lucid dream. Despite those dangers that may/may not exist outside the dream I have still been experimenting with lucid dreaming I have been having a lot trouble moving from lucidity to dream control. My problems likely exist because of I a lucid dream rookie and still need a bit of practice.

I understand that they are not the same thing, lucidity referring to simply the cognitive awareness that you are indeed within a dream and dream control the ability to manipulate aspects within it. Dream control is essentially the next step after lucidity, lucidity being the imperative precedent.

Here’s the issue I ran/jumped into. In my dream I was being chased by a group of thugs with guns and found myself climbing up a cliff that hung out over the ocean. I recognized that I was within a dream and decided I would fly away. I leapt from the cliff only to plummet into the ocean below.

In the past when I’ve achieved lucidity, I’ve been able to manipulate things/defy physics. But sometimes like in my last dream things went very wrong.

Question #2 how can I sharpen my skills and have better control over my dreams?

References:
Dream Views
Frontiers in Psychology
New Health Advisor
Lucidipedia
The Lucid Dream Site

Summerlander

Re: Dangers! Inside and Outside Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Summerlander » 10 Jun 2016 11:45

I'm speaking for myself here when I say that my lucid dreaming practice has been positive for the most part---but then again, I do it on a moderate basis and it works for me. 8-)

My experience with it is akin to meditation and mindfulness, at the end of which I feel clear-headed and invigorated. I have never experienced insomnia with it and I wonder if your friend's detrimental side effects have more to do with his or her attitudinal approach rather than the lucid dreaming phenomenon itself. :!:

Fatigue is more likely to come from lack of any sleep than anything else. The active phase state that begets lucid dreaming may be a neuronal hustle and bustle but this energy is mostly focused on creating conscious mental realities rather than controlling the body's muscles and decoding sensory input from the external world as it normally would during the waking state (the latter functions requiring far more energy in the expenditure of vitals such as oxygen and water, for example). :|

The brain is naturally active during REM sleep---even when one is not lucid---so I really don't see how fatigue could come from it. Having said this, it might be different for people with certain cerebral conditions such as manic depression. I can only mostly comment on my experience and use ratiocination based on the little I know regarding human anatomy and psychology.

Anyway, I can recommend a few sources to improve your practice. I have posted a thread about prolonging and managing lucid dreaming, called 'Carpe Somnia Mundi' on this site (which is already fraught with practical information authored by Rebecca Turner). :idea:

There is also a book by Michael Raduga called The Phase: A Practical Guidebook. Stephen LaBerge literature is also helpful and reliable. :ugeek:

Check out the following links:

Carpe Somnia Mundi:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16442

I explain the 'phase state' here:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-phase-state.html
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”