Remembering my dreams and basic questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Casper

Remembering my dreams and basic questions

Postby Casper » 22 Jun 2016 18:12

Hi people!

I'm a 14 year old boy and I'm new here! I would love to learn how to Lucid Dream and I love the idea of being able to lucid dream. But I know it needs practise. The problem is that there's SO MUCH information on the internet that I don't know what is good or not.

My first step is to remember dreams. I started a Dream Journal a day ago and couldn't remember anything yet.
3 days ago I didn't have that much sleep for a 14 year old:
Sleeping at 12pm and waking up at 7'30am. So 7'30 hours of sleep.

But since 3 days it goes like this:
Sleeping 10'15pm and waking up at 7'15am, So 9 hours of sleep, which I believe is perfect for remembering dreams.

My questions:
#Q1: Is it bad to go to bed and wake up 1 or 2 hours later in the Weekend (for remembering dreams etc.)?

#Q2: Which Lucid Dream Technique works best and has the most rated change on succes (I can only do WBTB in the weekends because I have to have a normal rythm for school)?

#Q3 :!: : How do I remember my dreams better? What I do right now:
-I stay away from food and my phone before bed.
-I start trying to sleep at 10am but it's hard for me to fall asleep and I don't know if I should have a lot of thoughts or clear my head (if yes how do I clear my head).
-I make sure I don't have noises/distractions around me and it's totally dark.
-I will drink a cup of warm milk to calm myself tonight.
Maybe someone has some tips.

#Q4: If I wanna remember my dreams does it really work saying a phrase over and over like: “Next time I'm dreaming, I will remember I'm dreaming”?

I know I haven't been trying to remember my dreams for a long time, but I don't like making mistakes that could've easily prevented by just asking you guys :)

I'm really happy with finding this place (sorry if these questions have already been asked)!

Bye,

Casper.

Summerlander

Re: Remembering my dreams and basic questions

Postby Summerlander » 22 Jun 2016 19:52

Casper wrote:Hi people!

Hi and welcome, Casper! 8-)

Casper wrote:I'm a 14 year old boy and I'm new here! I would love to learn how to Lucid Dream and I love the idea of being able to lucid dream. But I know it needs practise. The problem is that there's SO MUCH information on the internet that I don't know what is good or not.

Rebecca Turner's advice is reliable for the practice. Two other good sources would be pertinent literature by Stephen LaBerge and Michael Raduga's course which is free online and called The Phase: A Practical Guidebook

Familiarise yourself with the following methods:

Mnemonic induction of Lucid Dreaming (MILD)
Dream-initiated Lucid Dreams (DILD)
Wake-initiated Lucid Dreams (WILD)
Dream-exit Initiated Lucid Dreaming (DEILD)

Casper wrote:My first step is to remember dreams. I started a Dream Journal a day ago and couldn't remember anything yet.
3 days ago I didn't have that much sleep for a 14 year old: Sleeping at 12pm and waking up at 7'30am. So 7'30 hours of sleep.

You are doing the right thing with your dream journal. Be sure to make the effort to recall and record dreams. Don't just do it for the sake of appearences or lakadaisically. Think about the dreams (anything from auditory voices to full-fledged vivid imagery) you recorded during the day; you might discover that this will trigger additional memories to those dreams. And then familiarise yourself with recurrent patterns of dream events so that they may become dream cues for lucidity. Stephen LaBerge has an amazing Dream Inventory recipe for this in his Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming.

Make sure you also ask yourself if you're dreaming during the day---even if it seems obvious that you're awake---and perform reality checks. Good luck! :-)

Casper wrote:But since 3 days it goes like this:
Sleeping 10'15pm and waking up at 7'15am, So 9 hours of sleep, which I believe is perfect for remembering dreams.

You're correct. A good night's sleep is always perfect for lucid dreaming and it is possible to wake up from these with a surge of energy!

Casper wrote:#Q1: Is it bad to go to bed and wake up 1 or 2 hours later in the Weekend (for remembering dreams etc.)?

In my experience, no. It's not bad.

Casper wrote:#Q2: Which Lucid Dream Technique works best and has the most rated change on succes (I can only do WBTB in the weekends because I have to have a normal rythm for school)?

I used to use WBTB a lot when I was a beginner and it worked a treat! I enjoyed many WILDs that often began with out-of-body sensations. These days, because I'm busier, I tend to rely on DILD and DEILD. The latter, in my experience, provides the quickest route, and if you nail it, you're the master of lucid dream induction. Michael Raduga has a good awakening algorithm for this in his guide. It also provides good back-up techniques in case you miss the window of time for entering the lucid dream state.

I'll be back to address your other questions! ;-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 22 Jun 2016 21:10

Casper wrote:
#Q3 :!: : How do I remember my dreams better? What I do right now:
-I stay away from food and my phone before bed.
-I start trying to sleep at 10am but it's hard for me to fall asleep and I don't know if I should have a lot of thoughts or clear my head (if yes how do I clear my head).
-I make sure I don't have noises/distractions around me and it's totally dark.
-I will drink a cup of warm milk to calm myself tonight.
Maybe someone has some tips.

Try masturbation before going to bed, no joke. You'll sleep like a baby most of the time.

Also try to get enough exercise during the day. Don't rush 20 push-ups right before going to bed but make sure you get enough physical challenge in during the day.

Casper wrote:#Q4: If I wanna remember my dreams does it really work saying a phrase over and over like: “Next time I'm dreaming, I will remember I'm dreaming”?

I know I haven't been trying to remember my dreams for a long time, but I don't like making mistakes that could've easily prevented by just asking you guys :)

For me it helps just knowing I should remember my dreams. I don't have perfect dream recall yet but I went from remembering 1 dream/week to about 5 nights of information.
I don't wake up with the "oh I can snooze for another 30 minutes" thoughts anymore, but instead I force myself to remember as much as I can and write it down in the ugliest possible font with dirt still holding my eyelids together. Remember that every minute that passes makes the memory of the dream fade away.
When you're absolutely sure you can't squeeze out more information on the dream, that's when you can snooze a little bit more. JK WAKE UP AND GET IT MOVING MAN!

Sorry @Summerlander for taking over your job, just do it again but provide more experience and knowledge in your answers :)
Inherit the earth

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jun 2016 13:41

Thanks, Sir Knife! :-D

Good luck, Casper! As Knife advised, don't get your adrenaline levels up just before bedtime. Be active during the day. At bedtime, you should be tired and ready to enjoy a good night sleep. A suggestion to your subconscious prior to sleep that you wish to remember your dreams can be effective in boosting dream recall but carry on with your dream journal too. Use the WBTB method in the morning when the REM phase is most prominent and chances for lucidity are pretty good.

Sweet lucid dreams, buddy! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Casper

Postby Casper » 23 Jun 2016 14:06

Thank you so much, Knife and Summerlander!
The fact that you guys try to help beginners and show interest gives me a happy feeling.

I cycle for about 2 hours a day, and play soccer too, so the adrealine is good.
I masturbate every night before going to sleep too (I already do this for a few years), which really helps.

The first morning I couldn't remember my dreams I couldn't remember anything,
but this morning I could remember my dreams. It really gives me motivation!

If it goes really well with remembering dreams, I'm going to try the WBTB technique this weekend.

Again, I'm very greatful for your help.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jun 2016 16:05

However vague dreams may be, record them all. And you can always try to induce lucid dreams in parallel with your dream journal. We're here to help! ;-)

When I first started, I'd wake up between 5am-6am after a good sleep; stay up for 10-20 minutes to use the loo, read about lucid dreaming or review my dream journal---even if I felt slightly groggy; and then return to bed to make an attempt. I found the technique of separating from the perceived sleeping body 'stencil' quite useful to find an inaccurate replica of my bedroom. Then I'd fly and journey out of the house with an action plan in mind ready for execution. :-)

In addition to everything we've provided, this might also give you some incentive:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-phase-state.html

Good luck, mate! Once you nail it, you will love it! Let us know how you progress! 8-)
Last edited by Summerlander on 23 Jun 2016 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

- Padmasambhava

Casper

Postby Casper » 23 Jun 2016 16:09

Only thinking about Lucid Dreaming makes me SO happy! How real did your most realistic Lucid Dream feel? Does it almost feel like reality?
I just CAN'T imagine that it would be so real.

This is what I'm going to try tommorow morning (I saw this on a reddit page but it's worth the try):

FILD works everytime! (self.LucidDreaming)
I deal with lucid dreams for about four months now and i tried many methods to induce a lucid dream, but none of them worked properly for me. Three days ago, i read about the FILD Method. Basically it's just about waking up after approximately 6 hours of sleep then just fall asleep again but you have to move your index and your middle finger like you are playing the piano while you are falling asleep. This should transport you directly into a lucid dream.
First i was very sceptical about it, because it looked so "easy" but i thought i would give it a try. So i woke up after 6 hours of sleep and tried the method and you won't believe it but it worked straight away. By falling asleep and moving my fingers, i could see the dream world getting build up and i was right in it! I didn't need any RC's to know that i'm dreaming (even though i did them, just to be sure) and the lucid dream even lasted about 10 minutes. After waking up from this lucid dream i felt very very happy, because it worked so fast and i thought i would give it another try the next morning and voilà, it happened again. And surprisingly this very morning again. I can't really explain how this magic works, but it seems to be that it works almost every time, even for beginner!
TL;DR I had three lucid dreams in three days just by using the FILD method! So try it out today and write how it worked for you!
PS English is not my first language so please have appreciaton
EDIT: http://tinypic.com/r/2wrhl39/5 Here's a little video how i do the finger motion and how it works for me!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jun 2016 16:17

It can feel so real like you wouldn't believe! You will be taken aback, my friend. The colours of a lucid dream can be far more vibrant than what the real world can provide visually for a human being. Your mind can far outdo the perception of reality.

Sounds and the tactility can be just as strong. And you can also manipulate the dream world with belief and expectation too. If you find it blurry, you can adjust it on command like a TV set.

One tip: sensory amplification can maintain and prolong the lucid dream.

FILD is also covered in Michael Raduga's guide under a different name. You can try many methods and see what works best for you. You can do it in conjunction with WBTB. :-)

I'm glad you already had some success and yes, these experiences can put you in a very good mood throughout the day. You are certainly taking the right steps in tapping into another world that is lucidly available to you. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Casper

Postby Casper » 23 Jun 2016 16:50

What exacly is Sensory Amplification? They use a lot of words I don't understand on the pages they tell about it. And English isn't my mother tongue.

I will keep you updated on how the Saturday Morning attempt on a lucid dream worked out.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jun 2016 17:15

Sensory amplification is when you try to make your senses stronger within a lucid dream. For example, when you rub your hands to make the lucid dream last, try to feel the friction both hands produce against each other; try to feel the warmth it should produce as though it were real (as you would expect in waking life); listen to the sound of rubbing too (if there is no sound, because you are lucid, you will find it peculiar so sound should emerge based on your expectations).

I look forward to reading about your experiences. Don't worry if things don't always go the way you want them too. Just be enthusiastic and persevere. Oh! And have fun! 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”