Sense of touch in lucid dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
riseandfall

Sense of touch in lucid dreams

Postby riseandfall » 14 Jul 2016 04:39

The thing that tips me off to being in a dream is often tactile/balance related (hence my username). I experience very real sensations--as vivid as when awake--of things that would surely wake me up if they happened in reality. Like I'll dream that my mom has come into the room and is moving the covers gently to wake me up, or that I'm rising up out of the bed. In general, my dreams don't include the sense of touch at all, but in these dreams it's so unmistakably clear that I couldn't imagine it anywhere near that realistically when awake. These dreams also tend to include loud sounds that I know would otherwise definitely wake me up in reality.

I've also had dreams where I'm flying at high speed down a hill or similar, to where I almost feel nausea in the dream, but don't wake up (at least not for awhile). These other type seem to happen just as a period of insomnia is about to end, and are kind of a release of built-up adrenaline, which make me wake up feeling really refreshed.

Interestingly, for all except the high-speed motion dreams, once I realize that I'm dreaming and take control of the dream, the tactile part stops. So I can direct visual events in the dream, but cannot choose to feel a physical sensation. I also tend not to be able to control sounds either, even if they continue. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

star64rogue

Re: Sense of touch in lucid dreams

Postby star64rogue » 14 Jul 2016 05:41

I haven't gone lucid yet (oh god bless me it's two weeks now), but I can usually feel touch and pain in my dreams, lightly, but not much, so it means that it would amplify in a lucid one.
So, something came into my mind, can you simulate pain in your mind when you're awake?
Sweet dreams ;)
Judy: "He was right about one thing..."
"I don't know when to quit."

dantedmc3

Postby dantedmc3 » 14 Jul 2016 15:11

star64rogue wrote:I haven't gone lucid yet (oh god bless me it's two weeks now)

It's going to happen sooner or maybe a bit later :p
Remember if you happen to become lucid try to stay calm and stabilise the dream by rubbing your hands or something. And if you manage to do that also try to remind yourself that you are dreaming otherwise you might lose lucidity and go back to a plain old dream.

I can't really say something about my sense of touch in dreams, most of my dreams are pretty foggy. I can't really remember a specific dream or moment in a dream were i felt touch or pain for that matter. But that's only because nothing comes to mind, i guess if I go through my journal I will find something about touching something soft or something else. Lucid dreams are different though I can definitely remember "touch" from those dreams and of course much more. I guess someone could experiment with pain in a lucid dream. I'm not that experienced though and there is so much stuff is like to try and play with ;p
A Pure Drop in an Ocean of Noise

riseandfall

Postby riseandfall » 15 Jul 2016 03:21

star64rogue wrote:I haven't gone lucid yet (oh god bless me it's two weeks now), but I can usually feel touch and pain in my dreams, lightly, but not much, so it means that it would amplify in a lucid one.
So, something came into my mind, can you simulate pain in your mind when you're awake?
Sweet dreams ;)

Wow, that's a cute girl in your profile pic--at least what we can see of her!

Anyway, now that you mention it, I have felt pain in dreams. Like I've very occasionally felt like I was being bitten/stung by insects or that I was walking through prickly weeds (the latter happened on a night after I got a rather bad sunburn). These are rare, though, and the pain is kind of surreal in the dreams--it's more like the surprise of the pain is felt more than the actual pain.

I can "simulate" pain when awake only in that I imagine another "me" feeling the pain, not to where I actually feel it in the sense that I almost flinch from the imagined pain.

The kind of sensations I'm describing, though, involve light touch or balance/motion sensations. Like, have you ever been dizzy and felt like you were kind of "riding a wave", for instance when in an elevator or similar? Well, that is what I mean by a balance/motion sensation. Or in regards to light touch, think of how it feels when you put a shirt on.

synthesia1073

Postby synthesia1073 » 22 Mar 2018 16:53

A lucid dream is a 'test' by the ecosystem.

Carl Jung who spent his entire career studying the dream world, and the mind, scientifically verified our inner dialogue is connected to and listened to by the ecosystem.

When you have a lucid dream make sure you only do 'good' things. If you do good things, the ecosystem will enhance and optimize your biochemistry for the following years.

If you do something hurtful, or even evil, it will do the opposite over the following years and weaken your biochemistry.

I would suggest doing anything helpful in a lucid dream.

But anything good or loving is what the ecosystem is looking for.

What I wish I knew is the 'term' for experiencing actual feel in a dream, as last night I was holding something and putting it in my pocket, and for the first time I felt it entirely.

Ztir

Postby Ztir » 25 Apr 2018 10:30

I had a dream last night, it was someone I do not know, in my dream he was dead and his body was laid in a table in an open room of a house. I can still remember his face and if he was a real person i will surely recognize him. Then he resurrected from the dead. I was anxious to come near him and as he moved and looked around, he saw me standing in one end of the table where he was laying. People attended to him but he kept on looking at me and I felt the weight of his stare as if he knew me. After some time I saw him sitting alone in one chair and i still felt anxious to approach him. Then when I was fixing his bed he came near without me noticing him and he touched me with his pointer finger in my left leg and upper part of my left foot which I really felt as if it was real. He eventually started to talk in my dream and he said that during the time he was "dead" all he saw was darkness.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 26 Apr 2018 23:32

I had this one dream where this guy was pinching me. It was a really bad sensation. Worse than a physical pinch.

Another time I was slapped in the face in a dream. I woke up with my face hurting.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

dreamoverflow

Postby dreamoverflow » 27 Apr 2018 19:50

Sometime I can dream or even lucid dream of my cat, just near me and feeling him, can touching I'm and feeling him like as reality. The environement is very limited in theese case, I haven't try to be at another place than my room with him.

Another sense that I had in a dream but was not lucid, it is smell. It was the first dream with smell (at least as I can remember), but maybe a smell from outside could have affected... I don't know.

Plissken

Postby Plissken » 29 Apr 2018 08:58

I had a very specific sense of taste 2 nights ago from a drink. I had not experienced this before and I do not remember experiencing taste in dream form ever.
It did not trigger a lucid dream but did end my normal dream and wake me up to record it.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”