Being put to sleep in dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
riseandfall

Being put to sleep in dreams

Postby riseandfall » 15 Jul 2016 03:33

When I was younger, I occasionally had dreams where I had to go in for surgery, and when the doctors were trying to give me anesthesia, it wasn't working. It wasn't that I was in pain or anything, it was just that I stayed awake and the doctors couldn't continue. Usually I would wake up, and then realize "duh, I was already in a dream, and becoming unconscious would mean that the dream would stop, which couldn't happen within the dream".

I haven't had one of these in a long time, but I was wondering if something like this could be used to enter a lucid dreaming state. I somehow doubt it, because in dreams about medical procedures there was always a sense of dread, and had I not been fully "believing" the dream, I wouldn't have let this happen. All of the lucid dreams I've had started with something really mundane and everyday, like waking up in the morning or walking along a familiar street. But, I was curious about this.

star64rogue

Re: Being put to sleep in dreams

Postby star64rogue » 15 Jul 2016 19:03

It's odd, at least for me.
In my dreams, I can sleep, I can pass out, or become blind/deaf, without getting out of the dream.
Probably you can use them if they're not working for you, if you make your mind sensitive enough to this error.
Sweet dreams ;)
Judy: "He was right about one thing..."
"I don't know when to quit."

Pilgrim

Re: Being put to sleep in dreams

Postby Pilgrim » 16 Jul 2016 04:00

Rise, you might make it a point to associate surgery as an indication that you are in a dream. Then, you can hop off the table and enjoy the dreamworld.

Star, sleeping in the dream reminds me of my tendency to dream that I am having insomnia. I became more aware of dreaming of being unable to sleep (and getting up and returning to bed) as false awakenings after I got the Remee dream mask. The mask did not work well for me overall, but it did help me to become more aware of false awakenings.

Return to “For Beginners”