stablising

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
neil

stablising

Postby neil » 03 Aug 2016 12:29

Getting lucid a few times but still can;t stablise. I shout 'stability', rub my hands together, spin around, try to walk, demand clarity, I have a plan for something to do, but I just cant seem to stay awake. I get heavy, I can't move my body and my vision fades out despite really trying to get moving I just end up on the floor and the dream ends. Are there any activities?exerises I can do throughout the day to improve this?

CabinFifteen

Re: stablising

Postby CabinFifteen » 05 Aug 2016 04:18

Hey,

This is just a personal theory, but it has worked like a charm for me. I struggled a ton with the same problem as you, stabilising the dream. The problem was always that I realise I'm dreaming and no matter what I try, it fades within seconds and no spinning technique or hand rubbing can stop me from waking up.

I happened upon a book called "The Power of Now" one day which is about presence, and I realised that's pretty much exactly what it means to be lucid. You just focus your mind on the external world and on your body instead of on your thoughts, and if thoughts come you "watch" them but don't really think them (sorry I know it's a crude explanation).

Anyway, in my next lucid dream I tried to focus on the external world and get out of my head, and I rubbed my fingertips together--not as a technique on its own to stay lucid, but as a way of engaging my mind with my senses and the world around me. I tried to think as little as possible, and as passively as possible. And voilà! An extended lucid dream, lasting about ten minutes. This idea also helped me in subsequent lucid dreams, and I find big body language and loud yelling helps get out of my head and into the dream.

Really hope this helps!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Aug 2016 22:43

It's so true, Cabin. I'm yet to read Tolle's book but I practise mindfulness and lucidity goes well with it. It's about staying in the moment, remaining in the now whereby what would be distractions suddenly become things that arise in one's mind and vanish as quickly as they come while one remains grounded.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

CabinFifteen

Postby CabinFifteen » 08 Aug 2016 04:29

Summerlander wrote:It's so true, Cabin. I'm yet to read Tolle's book but I practise mindfulness and lucidity goes well with it. It's about staying in the moment, remaining in the now whereby what would be distractions suddenly become things that arise in one's mind and vanish as quickly as they come while one remains grounded.

Thanks Summerlander!
I haven't really shared my thoughts on the mindfulness/lucidity connection before, so I'm glad to hear you agree! :D
BTW I was reading some of your and others' posts on the topic "The Shocking Truth," and a lot of them really got me thinking! (And some others were way over my head ahah.) Fascinating stuff.
Anyway, back to the question at hand, there are a few things that I do during the day to practice stabilising my dreams. One is meditation (no surprise there). The other is that a few times a day, I'll try to focus completely on my surroundings without getting back in my head, and time how long I can maintain it. I figure that's approximately how long I'll be able to stay lucid in my next dream.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Aug 2016 11:49

You're on the right track, Cabin. Best of luck and sweet lucid dreams. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

neil

Postby neil » 10 Aug 2016 18:37

Thanks for that, I do spend time on mindfullness, or being aware of awareness, while awake, Will give it a go.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Aug 2016 02:00

Rubbing hands together, and paying attention to its sensations---like warmth and friction apart from vision---can help. ;)

- Padmasambhava

neil

Postby neil » 14 Aug 2016 23:18

Thanks Summerland, I was rubbing my hands together without knowing why, thinking that would just magically stablise the dream. Is it the attention to the sensation which is important, rather than the particular action?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Aug 2016 00:55

Yes. Pay attention to the sensation. Don't do it for the sake of action as though carrying out an instruction. Be mindful of the sensations, a kind of 'heartfulness'. Embrace it. It's like refining the knowing of sensations in awareness. You know the mental appearance exists as it becomes realer and realer---or more and more realistic, I should say. And then everything else should follow as your brain logic dictates that there should be an equally vivid environment, too. You know it's an illusion, but it feels real. It's not a paradox because illusions exist. There is a mental appearance ... it's not nothing.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”