Random waking up?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Reinards

Random waking up?

Postby Reinards » 06 Aug 2016 12:41

I will ask two questions in this post(so I don't spam the forum)

1st one:
Which technique should I use if I randomly wake up during the night(after dream or not)...
MILD, WBTB or WILD

2nd one:
When trying WILD, I can never get to sleep paralysis, even hypnagogia.. I have tried it in the morning and night... also in two poses(on my back and stomach kind of pose)... What can you suggest?

Hitch

Re: Random waking up?

Postby Hitch » 18 Aug 2016 02:05

As long as you keep your brain into thinking its melatonin time then you'll be good to go. Practice is everything. Though I find if I wake up during the night I try to immediately start going over my process that I've mapped out for myself over the years. Remain still and focus on relaxing from head to toe. Don't focus too much that your brain starts to wonder. If that happens get up and try WBTB. A practice that I like is waking and going to my living room and sitting in my recliner with the lamp on for about 15-20 mins but trying to remain still with your eyes open. Fix on the ceiling. Then hit the bed and go through my preflight checks etc. (Whatever your process is) It almost seems like sitting next to the lamp triggers the lowering/slowing of natural melatonin for a bit then as soon as you hit the dark room and get to your "here we go" phase your body starts to dump melatonin in the dark. Could all be bullshit But it works for me.
When Im falling asleep and trying to begin, I have to lay on my back with my head turned slightly to the right. Not sure if there's any science to that but Ive been doing it for 26 years now and it works. If I lay on my back with head to the left. Everything feels out of place and Ill stay awake. It may sound trivial but stay hydrated as well. If Im really dehydrated Im just running a race in quick sand. Neurons fire more easily through synapses if you're hydrated. Think about how sharp you are the morning after drinking like its 1999. Moreover, practice. Keep a standardized "set" and run it into the ground. Eventually it wont become what you're doing it'll become who you are.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Aug 2016 12:04

Reinards wrote:I will ask two questions in this post(so I don't spam the forum)

1st one:
Which technique should I use if I randomly wake up during the night(after dream or not)...
MILD, WBTB or WILD

You can use them interchangeably but I would certainly be tempted to use WILD---after returning to bed ...

Reinards wrote:2nd one:
When trying WILD, I can never get to sleep paralysis, even hypnagogia.. I have tried it in the morning and night... also in two poses(on my back and stomach kind of pose)... What can you suggest?

First and foremost, adopt a position you're most comfortable with. Secondly, stop aiming for SP or even hypnagogia. You shouldn't expect anything that precedes lucid dreaming. Your goal is the lucid dream state---which you can reach without necessarily experiencing the symptoms that tend to lead up to it.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Reinards

Postby Reinards » 21 Aug 2016 09:20

Thanks, it was a while ago, and I actually got 2 successful WILDs

But the problem is, when I try the counting method from the book "exploring the world of lucid dreaming" I don't fall asleep, It just keeps me awake :(

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”