Absinthe and Fracking in Britain

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Absinthe and Fracking in Britain

Postby Summerlander » 08 Aug 2016 10:02

Absinthe is not hallucinogenic. The compound thujone that it contains was once thought to suppress neurotransmitters in the brain but this scientific paper here proves otherwise: Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, DOI: 10.1016/S0091-3057(98)00195-6.

It turns out that at the beginning of the last century French winegrowers were turning a loss as absinthe was growing popular as a drink of choice. So what did they do about it? They created the urban legend that absinthe is a dangerous drink that causes hallucinations, epileptic fits and suicides. The anti-absinthe hysteria climaxed when alcoholic Jean Lanfray shot his pregnant wife and two daughters before attempting to kill himself. The public, already brainwashed by the winegrowers horror propaganda, blamed the two glasses of absinthe that Lanfray had drunk that day. Never mind the copious amounts of creme de menthe, cognac, wine, and brandy that he had consumed on the day of the attack.

In 1908, absinthe had been first banned in Switzerland. Next time someone tells you that absinthe made them hallucinate: slap them!

My insomnia also prompted me to look into the fracking business that's been on the news lately. Fracking is fracking fine! A two-year study of fracking wells in LA funded by the oil industry showed that it poses no risk in contaminating groundwater, vibrations will not cause earthquakes, and the release of methane during the process poses no risk. It may impact on climate change but this is flipping Britain!

The accidents that happened in Texas previously were due to poor practice and we have learned since! Besides, we can always show Americans how it is done better. Time to tap the shale gas resources of the north of England. There is 35 trillion cubic metres of it buried underground which is enough to supply the country for decades. It should not go to waste so wingers and pussies should overcome their fear of risk---which is small! Let's grow a pair of balls and start drilling. Maybe they'll have fracking vacancies and an attractive emolument on offer.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Re: Absinthe and Fracking in Britain

Postby Dane » 08 Aug 2016 11:14

normally i tend to agree with you my friend, but on this occasion i do not. :o

Summerlander wrote: It should not go to waste so wingers and pussies should overcome their fear of risk---which is small! Let's grow a pair of balls and start drilling. Maybe they'll have fracking vacancies and an attractive emolument on offer.

hmm, i do understand the need for power and what not, but in the dutch northern province of groningen, they are drilling this stuff for a decade now and buildings are cracking and showing fissure's ( idk if fissure's can be applied in this context )
buildings deteriorate at a high speed, so their value drop like bombs.
if it was your home i doubt you would grow a pair.
and as always you can count on the goverment to save the motherfucking day... however fact is, these people are still waiting and it seems they will be denied the help they need. :?:

the drilling in the north sea has lead to an
increased seismic activity measured in groningen.

but ofcourse the oil-industry funded studies will not show the dangers of these activities. :twisted:
no doubt you can think of why yourself.

all in all, i'm against the mass usage of fossil fuel, and it is no longer worth the effort, and i vote everyday for a more longterm sollution for our need for power.
there is so much energy raining down upon us every day, and yet we choose to invest in something so limited. :roll:

( yes i drive a car, and that would make me in a way a hypocrite, no point in denying that, and there are other options, but not affordables in my situation )

( interesting food for thought thou )
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Aug 2016 11:32

Thank you for your input, Dane, and I understand your concerns. Are you absolutely sure that seismic activity in Groningen is caused by fracking? Is there a scientific study on it that rules out coincidence? We must avoid post hoc ergo propter hoc approaches to any situation. If there is a modicum of truth in what you propose, I will shut my stupid gob. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 08 Aug 2016 12:08

Summerlander wrote:Thank you for your input, Dane, and I understand your concerns. Are you absolutely sure that seismic activity in Groningen is caused by fracking? Is there a scientific study on it that rules out coincidence? We must avoid post hoc ergo propter hoc approaches to any situation. If there is a modicum of truth in what you propose, I will shut my stupid gob. :mrgreen:

that's how constructive dialog is created :p

i have not researched it myself ofcourse, and it has been a couple of years ago since i last looked into the matter, i must admit i'm not absolutely sure, but i do remember vaguely that there have been such studies which ruled out coincidence.
@home i'll try to find more about it.

it is not my intention to shut your "stupid gob", but rather to help you look at this matter from a different perspective, which will hopefully aid in this constructive conversation. ;)

i also don't see your gob as stupid for if we look upon this matter solely from a economical p.o.v. you do have a point, so don't talk down on yourself as it will bring you nowhere my friend. 8-)

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 08 Aug 2016 13:15

Fossil fuels smoke the other forms of energy :mrgreen: . Try to get it Summerlander so that you will not be making Saudis rich. Just get it carefully and aware of the fault areas.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Aug 2016 15:40

I'm already drilling ... :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 08 Aug 2016 18:52

hmm i must admit that most of what i read today lacks an actual scientific basis or even a worthy reference.
also, most tend to lack a neutral perspective ( you know where this is heading for ), and most of all, i lack the motivation to keep searching, for i would rather start lounging a.s.a.p. :lol:

however it does seem unlikely that the earthquakes and whatnot are "coincidence", it is not impossible.
i cannot prove my statement therefor my statement no longer holds value. :geek:

touche sir. :mrgreen:

ps. i dont know if you care for it, but i did came across some articles about that the whole thing might not as profitable as assumed. :?:

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Aug 2016 20:20

And your concerns are valid. Even if sensible fracking minimally adds to seismic activity, there is no guarantee that all workers will follow protocol, especially when ambitious deadlines and finance are involved. It's already been established that irresponsible fracking has led to disasters---Texas being one example. See, I'm already considering others perspectives. :-D

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 09 Aug 2016 03:00

Drill responsibly. Consider risk/reward. :ugeek:

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 09 Aug 2016 08:11

Dane, I'm playing a bit. I do enjoy hearing your ideas.

Summerlander, the American business attempts at the shale plays show the challenge. No one could conceive oil being below $90/barrel not long ago. The shale extraction has break even cost maybe at $50-$80 range. Shale boom was shut down of no coincidence, in my opinion. Oil is currently about $42.

Return to “Off-Topic”