Another Enthused Newcomer with a Question

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DanielMcClane

Another Enthused Newcomer with a Question

Postby DanielMcClane » 09 Aug 2016 19:05

Hi. New to the forum. From my time lurking and reading articles I love it here, and I'm super enthusiastic about diving into this thing.

Little bit of background.

I've never had a lucid dream, or at least I've never had one I remember. In every dream I have I believe whatever's happening and don't realize I'm dreaming. Most of my dreams are, when recalled, blurry, missing many details, scrambled and fast paced with darkened visuals. Only sound I hear is myself or others speaking, most of the time.

Then on rare occasions I'll have dreams that have flashes of much more vivid content that are much more detailed and memorable, though at the time I didn't think to record them and think about them too much, so details faded with time. But still it's enough to pique tremendous enthusiasm for this type of thing.

Fast-forward to the past year or so, and I've been looking into various methods of alleviating anxiety and panic attacks, which have been causing issues for a long time, and in the process I've come across info for all the benefits of meditation and similar exercises for mindfulness, mental focus and thought stability and organization. Which, finally led me to lucid dreaming, which I honestly had no idea existed in this way. I've heard 'lucid dreaming' but I always thought that just meant you know you're in a dream. Had no idea of the 'rush to lifelike realism' affect and extremely vivid virtual world experience that lucid dreamers here describe.

Since then, I've had a couple of dreams that were way more realistic and vivid and enjoyable, presumably because I've been actively thinking about dreaming since discovering this topic, but those are still rare, and I've still yet to achieve clarity like lucid dreamers describe, and never a lucid dream.

So I want in. Yesterday. Lol

Anyway, I thought I'd start off with a question related to people's experience with regular visualization. I read Rebecca's article concerning guided meditation and visulization for lucid dreaming both in a total waking state and when experiencing hypnagogia, and she talked about these things improving with time. Where imaginary renditions of experience with each sense gets more realistic, more controllable and lasts longer (greater focus with time).

Makes sense. Everything gets easier with practice.

So this is what I'm asking folks here. After you started regular sessions of visualization, with multiple senses, did you begin to notice improvement in the clarity, duration and realism of those things being imagined? Were you able to hold visual images in your mind longer without distraction? Did they look more lifelike and with more detail? What about other senses?

This is something I hope to greatly improve both for lucid dreaming and for general life improvement, as I tend to have quite a bit of difficulty focusing mentally and forming coherent lasting imaginative scenarios. I mostly see dark, vague imagery with short-lived moments of vivid detail, and lots of junk 'noise' obscuring everything. I want to improve this.

This is basically just me asking for people's experiences to follow up on Rebecca's article. What improvements have you seen after starting to work on these skills?

Thanks, and happy to be on board!

Dane

Re: Another Enthused Newcomer with a Question

Postby Dane » 10 Aug 2016 11:16

great to have you on board aswel :D

first off, i have always had a strong imagination on all senses, so i didn't actually strenghen the skill, but it still fluctuates depending on my emotional stability.

i believe most parts of the mind can be "trained" and imagination is no exception to that.

Best of luck !
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

DanielMcClane

Re: Another Enthused Newcomer with a Question

Postby DanielMcClane » 13 Aug 2016 19:12

Dane wrote:great to have you on board aswel :D

first off, i have always had a strong imagination on all senses, so i didn't actually strenghen the skill, but it still fluctuates depending on my emotional stability.

i believe most parts of the mind can be "trained" and imagination is no exception to that.

Best of luck !

Thanks!

I do believe your avatar speaks for itself on that note.

Jesseapril

we will all need each other

Postby Jesseapril » 14 Aug 2016 03:59

I'm new to this forum. But damn do I have years of lucid Expirience. The world is coming to an end. Our powers will soon be a reality. I am expecting them soon. Email me if you feel the sa,e way. [email protected]

Return to “For Beginners”