Is Astral Projection A Type Of Lucid Dream Or Is It Real?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Transcending.

Is Astral Projection A Type Of Lucid Dream Or Is It Real?

Postby Transcending. » 11 Aug 2016 20:13

Need some help atm

Summerlander

Re: Is Astral Projection A Type Of Lucid Dream Or Is It Real?

Postby Summerlander » 12 Aug 2016 01:38

Forget the labels. The hybrid phase state of the brain, which is characterised by Gamma waves, is responsible for the combination of wakefulness and dreaming. In essence, it makes it possible for waking consciousness to be present in dreams, i.e. you are literally awake in a dream world.

It is all one experience. If you recognise that you are dreaming, then it follows that you are lucid dreaming. If you take the belief-centric approach that it must be another world apart from your mind, then it does not follow that you are astral projecting---you are just deluding yourself! :mrgreen:

Start recognising the illusory nature of the experience so you can best manipulate it in a lucid manner ...

It is all mind. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Transcending.

Postby Transcending. » 12 Aug 2016 04:01

Summerlander wrote:Forget the labels. The hybrid phase state of the brain, which is characterised by Gamma waves, is responsible for the combination of wakefulness and dreaming. In essence, it makes it possible for waking consciousness to be present in dreams, i.e. you are literally awake in a dream world.

It is all one experience. If you recognise that you are dreaming, then it follows that you are lucid dreaming. If you take the belief-centric approach that it must be another world apart from your mind, then it does not follow that you are astral projecting---you are just deluding yourself! :mrgreen:

Start recognising the illusory nature of the experience so you can best manipulate it in a lucid manner ...

It is all mind. 8-)
Oh.... :shock:

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 12 Aug 2016 04:28

Transcending, I agree with Summerlander that astral projection is an illusion. The distinction between lucid dreaming and OBE, that many make, is more the result of expectation of the mind. My experience is hybrid without the supposed clear differences.

The illusion can have profound implications, to which I am open to spiritual significance. This Summerlander will question as a physicalist, but even he must wrestle with explaining precognition. The experience can be astonishing, even though OBE is not the best explanation.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Aug 2016 12:08

I don't deny the spiritual significance---for me, in the form of perceptual profundity. I've had a few seemingly telepathic and precognitive experiences. But I'm unable to rule out coincidence. As a physicalist, if there is something to such experiences, the answer must lie in quantum mechanics and the occasional quantum entanglement of minds within the geomagnetic field. But such speculations are all theoretical and inspired by professor Michael Persinger's work. ;)

By the way, 'telepathic' during lucid dreaming is when one apparently sees what's on the minds of others (as later confirmed by those who have apparently been 'visited' by the lucid dreamer).

'Precognitive' is when lucid dream events closely match future real life events. Perhaps a portion of our minds has access to future possibilities which are most probable for our cause-and-effect universe. Or it's just rare coincidences. My suggestions are never supernatural ... :)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Transcending.

Postby Transcending. » 15 Aug 2016 06:38

Mmmmmmm. I still got a lot to learn :) :ugeek:

Transcending.

Postby Transcending. » 15 Aug 2016 06:44

So, Is an OBE real?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Aug 2016 20:42

No. OBEs are thalamus-based illusions. It feels like you leave your body but nothing separates from it in reality. All you see when someone is having an OBE is their inert, sleeping bodies. If you could scan their brain you'd see nothing but electrochemical activity. There is no ghost in the machine. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 19 Aug 2016 13:01

Summerlander wrote: There is no ghost in the machine. 8-)

well said 8-) :geek:
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Aug 2016 17:11

Dane wrote:
Summerlander wrote: There is no ghost in the machine. 8-)

well said 8-) :geek:

Obrigado! :-D

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”