Too scared?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
JessieAnderson

Too scared?

Postby JessieAnderson » 15 Aug 2016 12:33

Hi,

I really want to try the WILD and WBTB technique, but some people tell me that you'll enter a sleep paralysis first, and this is what scares me.
I never had a sleep paralysis before but according to people's experiences with it, it's the scariest thing ever.
So, my question is, is it true that you'll go into sleep paralysis first?
If so, how do I get out of it and enter my lucid dream.

- Adrian

Keeboard

Re: Too scared?

Postby Keeboard » 15 Aug 2016 19:11

Yes, you'll enter sleep paralysis, but once your body starts to feel heavy you can just move a body part to stop it. If you enter sleep paralysis, to lucid dream you can try to swing yourself out of your body. I've never done this before but I've been lucid dreaming for awhile.
LD's: 30+
Current dream goal: Grow wings and fly

RealityCheck

Postby RealityCheck » 16 Aug 2016 13:34

Sleep paralysis is something a lot of beginners fear when they start practicing lucid dreaming. Sleep paralysis is simply your body turning the "safety switch" on during your REM cycle so that you don't start acting out your dreams. I've experienced this lots of times but really, it's not scary at all, and sometimes I even forget that I went through sleep paralysis.
Most likely you're afraid of the hallucinations a lot of people speak of. I've never experienced any hallucinations myself and am not sure how it works :? I was always afraid of sleep paralysis when I first began lucid dreaming, but seriously - it's not at all as bad as people make it sound.

If you do get stuck in the sleep paralysis phase, you can either embrace it :) and continue into a lucid dream by simply ignoring it and falling asleep or escape it by making sudden movements with your body. Again, I've never been afraid of sleep paralysis when I actually experienced it so I've never tired escaping it.
How to wake yourself up

JessieAnderson

Postby JessieAnderson » 16 Aug 2016 22:28

Thanks guys,

Have any advice/tips for someone who never had a lucid dream but is trying?
For example, what's the best method to use?

CabinFifteen

Postby CabinFifteen » 16 Aug 2016 23:55

Hey there,

I've tried both WILDs and DILDs, and personally I find DILDs a much easier place to start. I've had dozens of DILDs, but only two WILDs so far, and those were very late in the morning.

The method that works best for me is to go to sleep for 6 hours, then wake up for about 40 minutes and go back to bed (WBTB). In those 40 minutes you keep telling yourself "I want to become lucid" and imagine it happening. Then you use a relaxation technique in bed and then keep reminding yourself "I want to realise I'm dreaming." Try to make that your last thought before falling asleep. I'll usually enter a non-lucid dream afterwards and realise it's a dream pretty quickly.

Cheers!

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”