Trauma from lucid dreams

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
DreamerDanica

Trauma from lucid dreams

Postby DreamerDanica » 19 Aug 2016 23:44

Hello I am Danica and am 23 years old. I have been lucid dreaming since I was a child, but it was not until recently that I realized I was suffering from trauma caused by my dreams.

I am becoming a yoga instructor and we work with breath, body and mind constantly. I am studying to receive my 500 hr certification and was showing signs of trauma during breathing/ mind practices (bandhas and pranyama for those who are familiar). I haven't had any significantly traumatic experiences in my waking life yet therapists believe that I show signs similar to those who have experienced abuse, deaths, etc.

I realized that I have suffered many traumatic experiences during lucid dreams. I have lucid dreams every night, unless I am in a drug induced sleep (weed, alcohol, sedatives). So I have had a lot, and most of them turn into horrifying nightmares at some point during the night. They are SO REAL it takes me sometime to prove to myself that I am dreaming. I often have to think long and hard about how I got to the place I'm standing, and then i finally come to the conclusion that I'm sleeping, sometimes, other times I have false memories in my dreams that make how I got there seem realistic. In those cases I look for other clues, like a rug i don't recognize, a friend I don't know, something physically impossible happening, etc. Sometimes I prove it and wake up in my bed, with everything just as it was before I went to sleep, then a while into the dream something horrible happens (like a rapist breaking in) and I think its real. This has happened up to 7 times, maybe more, in one dream. I continually think I have awoken, only to be trapped in a nightmare again. I try really, reallllyyy hard to wake up before I'm raped, killed, etc. but there are many times when I can't wake up and I suffer terribly. Then, when I awake in real life, I feel like the event was real. This is especially traumatic when I watch my family members die, which happens a few times a month. However in most dreams, I am trying to escape deadly forces and protect the people I love. I have to stab people sometimes to stop them, which I really hate. I can feel the knife go into their skin and I remember doing it very vividly, what it feels like physically and mentally, it makes me nauseous just writing about it. For this reason, i am pretty horrified sleeping alone. Even when I get trapped in a nightmare and I know it isn't real, i think about the person that i know will be laying next to me when i finally wake up and it makes it a little less scary.

I am seeking help now from an instructor of mine, but his knowledge is minimal. He gives me helpful tips about how to deal with dream situations but is not an expert.

There is also another facet of these dreams... they teach me things I don't actually know and I wake up with real knowledge and insight that wasn't accessible to me before.

I have felt so alone for so long. I hope I can find some solace in this forum or maybe someone who has had similar experiences and can perhaps recommend some sources...

Thank you all for welcoming me. Looking forward to discussions!

jasmine2

Re: Trauma from lucid dreams

Postby jasmine2 » 21 Aug 2016 23:33

DreamerDanica, I am sorry you have been having a lot of nightmares.

You say you do not remember any traumatic experiences in your life.
Perhaps you are an empath and you have been absorbing a lot of negative energy from daily news reports.

Also, your yoga practices may be activating powerful energies in your unconscious mind.

Various dream work books recommend choosing a time of day when you can relax in a meditative state. Then recall a nightmare
and imagine a new ending for it. If you are being chased or attacked by an adversary, you can try -
- facing and fighting your foe
- or ask him (her, it) "Why are you chasing me?" Try to start a conversation.
- or say to your attacker, "I love you."

- I recommend the following resources , which offer a wide range of ways to work with emotions and metaphorical imagery related to dreams and inner exploration.

(1) Website - www.judithorloff.com - click tab - Empath support

(2) Article - "Getting Rid Of Repeating Nightmares - A Simple ..." - huffingtonpost.com - by Belleruth Naparstek

(3) Website - healthjourneys.com - Products - CDs -
- Example - "Stress Relief" - click - audio sample

- Article - "What Is Guided Imagery? - healthjourneys.com

(4) Article - "Dreamwork In Cyberspace" jeremytaylor.com
Scroll down and click on "CLF On-Line Dreamwork Leadership Training Manual"
Links to - blurb.com - View all 77 pages - free
Informative, creative, comic book style. See especially sections - The shadow and Projections.

I get kind of carried away by this subject, so I may list more recommendations in an additional comment.

- Best wishes

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 22 Aug 2016 01:00

Here are some more recommendations for resources for working with challenging emotions and imagery.

(5) Website - world-of-lucid-dreaming.com -
Board Index - Topic - Paranormal Activity
Post - "Kundalini Awakening" - by noahstyles - 11 Dec 2015

(6) Article - "A Conversation With Dr. John Weir Perry" - global-vision.org
Description of alternative treatment for young people experiencing their first acute episode of schizophrenia. Emphasis is on encouraging the spontaneous visionary process, which metaphorically represents stages of the inner hero's journey from chaos and confusion to healing.

(7) Website - billmoyers.com - Ep 1: Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth"
Interview from the very poplar PBS TV series - (6 episodes) - Full text

(8) Article- "The Larger Self" - selfleadership.org - by Richard Schwartz
Excerpt - "I began noticing that several clients with eating disorders described extensive internal conversations with what they called different parts of themselves ..."

(9) Article - "The Two-Part Film Technique: Empowering Dissociative Clients ..." - academia.edu
(You need facebook or personal Google account)
Description of imaginative ways to communicate with the Higher Self

(10) Books by psychiatrist Carl Jung -
- "Memories, Dreams, Reflections"
- "Jung On Active Imagination"
Emphasis on personifying the unconscious mood content, then interacting with the character and using some art form to portray the images and situation.

(11) Article - "Answer To Job Revisited: Jung On the Problem of Evil" by David Sedgwick - cgjungpage.org

(12) IANDS - International Association Of Near Death Studies - iands.org
Tab - NDES
Overcoming fear of death

(13) YouTube - "NASA/ Fiery Looping Rain on the Sun" - 4:16 min
I sometimes imagine that I project disturbing emotions or images into the sun, where they are absorbed and transformed into creative heat and light which nurture the Earth.

(14) YouTube - Rumi and the Play of Poety - Coleman Barks - (UCTV)
Rumi's poetic message of love

r

yapanadam

Postby yapanadam » 26 Aug 2016 20:23

I hope you get well soon.

Your problem is the thing I wanna have.

I don't have any nightmares.
Most of my dreams are boring and doll.
When ı got scared, being scared have an energy which is better then being a doll dream.
Soo when ı had a scary sitution in my dreams I started to feel all the horror deep inside me. And horror just dissapeart.

EmergeExtempore

Postby EmergeExtempore » 01 Sep 2016 18:05

I am new to this forum. I am an "expert" lucid dreamer, to the point where, in my dreams, I am God and can literally do whatever I want.

Almost all nightmares are not lucid dreams. Unless you're into that weird part of reality, which it seems like you're not 'really'.

I say 'really' because even though the dream feeling and content is unwanted, something in you is captivated, attracted to, drawn in by, desiring to experience this negativity, or else you could just turn your head to right and say "fuck that", and it would be gone in an instant, and you could be back to having wonderful sex or in a palace on a cushion being fanned like royalty beneath indoor palm trees eating an orange.

I've had nightmares but they weren't lucid ones. I think you have a problem with your unconscious mind.

The advice I would give to you is to be in control of your negative, even guilty thoughts, especially before you sleep, and even while you dream if you can. Be positive before you sleep and don't waver. Don't let yourself be tricked into thinking you need to choose negativity. Realize that what goes on in the temple of your mind is a choice, don't make your situation personal or into something it's not in reality.

Even more so, don't feel bad, or take personally, any physical thing that is happening to you in life or a dream, just experience it and you will doubtless find the joy, humor, and entertainment in everything, dark or light, physically, the problem is with fear itself and its effects on the mind. Fear is a choice, wake up from it and don't let it rule you. Let positivity enter your mind, fully, and not only will your mental dreams be healthy, but so will your physical dreams, and even life as well!

Why are you drawn to fear? Stop it before you hurt yourself and get captivated by that fear lol. Do the things you enjoy, not the things you don't enjoy, just go towards those things instead of towards things you don't enjoy.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I find that, personally, when my life is going very well I have a tendency to have more negative dreams in general, and when my life is going really poorly I have had the best dreams of my entire life. I've started to correct this flaw in myself and live a fully positive life, but I'm 25 and this is a process for me, but seems to have been getting better as time goes on.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 02 Sep 2016 03:52

My writing might be irrelvant to your challenges, unless your yoga experience is creating harmful views of reality. There is a thread on this forum (perhaps the one that Jasmine references) that discusses how all yoga is for purpose of Kundalini awakening. I disagree in so far as I can exercise as I please with respect to stretching and static body weight resistance without any such relation. The perceived spirituality arises by altering the normal body demand for amount of breathing. I suspect that the most likely outcome of altering breath in yoga is to blow off too much carbon dioxide in relation to the natural metabolic demand. This makes the pH of blood too basic and can promote hallucination and/or feelings of euphoria.

Here is an article of potential health benefit to breath alteration techniques that cycle from too much to too little carbon dioxide. (Oxygen is not usually associated with the drive to breathe.). Perhaps the related adrenaline surge is a natural way to achieve what modern medicine uses as an an important anti-inflammatory medication (synthetic adrenaline) for often amazing healing of severe illness.

http://highexistence.com/the-wim-hof-method-revealed-how-to-consciously-control-your-immune-system/

Bux

Postby Bux » 04 Sep 2016 12:12

All my advice is based solely on my experiences and knowledge.

Video games can help with fighting back in nightmares. They help with dealing with lucid dream situations and environments and give you more confidence to fight back. Though I don't always think fighting your dreams/nightmares are the best way to go. Nightmares can be like quicksand. The more you fight it, the more it sucks you under. The funny thing about nightmares is that when you can accept all the most horrible, worst things possible and stop running its like it gives up trying to scare you and can sometimes reverse into a good positive enlightening dream.

One way to look at your dreams is that it's all YOU. Whether you see Donald Trump, the devil, someone you know etc... remember it's YOUR BRAIN, YOUR MIND, YOUR DREAM, everything is there to represent something about YOU. Use it as a way to learn more about yourself. Dreams are by far the safest way to face and experience your worst fears and inner conflicts and by doing so can help with awoken life. Using your yoga skills in calming the mind with controlled breathing during the scary negative bits can help. When I fight such frightening situations within dreams I try to tell myself "let it go, let it flow" as a way for me to stop fighting myself and allow my energies to flow more healthy and not causing negative energy dams.
"Let it go, let it flow"

Slykly

Postby Slykly » 24 Sep 2016 02:55

Your experience is the same as mine and why I have sought people to share my experiences with. It is the reason I don't like going to bed sometimes. I stopped dreaming when I smoked weed, but I have chose to not smoke and deal with my dreams. I am getting better at controlling my dreams and can wake up or stop situations that are too uncomfortable. I can feel cuts to my skin as well and I wonder if I am dreaming while dreaming. It is traumatizing for sure. I wake up with new knowledge but don't know what it means. I dreamt of a river lined with bear skins earlier this week dozens and dozens of bear skins with water leading to a clear pool. I felt like a man had a tragic experience with a bear killing his son so he killed these bears. I don't know how true this is but it feels like I'm being teleported into strange events and I am left with these feelings permanently. You are not alone, being rapped probably is horrible if feelings are embedded in you. When I try and get away from bad things like large spiders when caught in their web my neck hurts terrible because in real life I am actually trying to pull away. I'm sure your body goes through same trauma, I feel your pain and hope you learn to control. I am aware I'm sleeping most nights while dreaming, just know you will get to this point and things will get better if you continue your dreaming.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”