Sleep paralysis?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
nicapica

Sleep paralysis?

Postby nicapica » 28 Aug 2016 09:27

Hello!
Last night I had this strange experience and I'm not sure if it was sleep paralysis, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind. I woke up at night and I heard a noise that comes when you use a marker to doodle on a balloon. I felt like there was a man sitting on me and he was pushing a big balloon to my face and was drawing something on it. I could breathe normaly. I noticed I couldn't move so I wiggled my toes and I immediatly woke up.
It only lasted five seconds. The strangest thing is that it wasn't scary and I didn't panic (even tho it was my first time, if it was), that's why I'm not sure if it was sleep paralysis.
Could you please tell me if it was so that the next time I would know and I'll try to turn it in a lucid dream.
Thank you :D

Dane

Re: Sleep paralysis?

Postby Dane » 30 Aug 2016 13:21

mind that SP doesn't neccesarily have to fright you.
no doubt others in a similiar occurance would fry their brains out due to panic.
it all depends on your mentality. ;)
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

nicapica

Postby nicapica » 30 Aug 2016 13:45

Dane wrote:mind that SP doesn't neccesarily have to fright you.
no doubt others in a similiar occurance would fry their brains out due to panic.
it all depends on your mentality. ;)

Yes, I thought about that. You're probably right, but it was still weird, I didn't know if I was dreaming or was awake. Maybe it was my first LD, but I didn't recognize it, so I didn't know how to control it and I just woke up. It all happened so quickly, maybe if I waited for another second I'd know better.
Thanks for answering.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Sep 2016 07:49

Sleep Paralysis and False Awakenings and Lucid Dreaming is all in the same boat.
Perhaps we need a new word for what you had because calling it Sleep Paralysis scares a lot of people, but it doesn't have to be.

Anyway, I had many weird experiences like that, some of them written on this forum, but it was long ago. It's certainly on the brink of a lucid dream, and all you have to do is get up and start moving if you can. It's all just a dream body, a perception of your real body, and if you can wiggle your toes, you can move your legs and get up and start moving. That's what I do when that happens.

It's great that you kept your wits and knew you could still breath despite the illusion. I must say though, that person showing up to shove a balloon in your face and drawing on it with a squeaky marker sounds like such a bizarre movie idea that should be in Stephen King's, "It"! (Sorry, I said I didn't want to scare people, but it's such an awesome visual in my mind.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”