I'm new: What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Dropkickbass

I'm new: What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Postby Dropkickbass » 14 Sep 2016 00:23

I attempted my first lucid dream last night using "Wake Back to Sleep". Went to bed for 5 hours, got out of bed for 10 minutes, got in bed, closed my eyes, and repeatedly thought "Everything you're about to experience is going to be a dream". I later realized my heart rate slowed down more than it normal so I thought that I may be transitioning into something other than wake. My eyes opened without command so I thought my body may be asleep but my mind awake. I slowly sat up and asked myself if I was dreaming. Nothing looked different so I tried to summon a candy cane on my bed just for clarification. When I couldn't summon it I looked at my clock and realized it had been 40 minutes since I got back into bed from waking up.

I'm going to try this again tonight, but is there anything I should change (maybe turn off the AC in my room or lie on my back instead of my side? Don't get out of bed? Stay awake for only five minutes? etc.) Maybe thinking the same sentence is keeping me awake? I'm very new to this so I don't expect to be lucid for a while.

TheLAWvirus

Re: I'm new: What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Postby TheLAWvirus » 14 Sep 2016 18:52

Hey, you can lay on your back personally I find it more comfortable and easier to lay on my back rather than on my side however it doesn't really matter it just depends on personal preference. The AC also won't make a difference. A major thing to do though is to perform reality checks particularly when you think you're a dream. One thing I do is to count my fingers twice to make sure I'm awake (normally in dreams you have dodgy fingers). When you awake after 5 hours you have two options, 1) you can wake up but not move much at all and immediately try to get back to sleep or 2) you can stay up for at least 30-60mins, make sure though not to watch tv or go on your phone as the back light will stimulate your brain to wake up, I would recommend reading as this will also activate your imagination.

Saying the sentence will help to keep you're mind awake but if you're afraid it might keep you awake from the start I usually count back from 100 slowly and eventually drift into a dream, but remember you do want you're mind to be awake just not you're body.

Any other info just ask.
Alive? Or just breathing?

Return to “For Beginners”