Advice needed - please read

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
mancitysam

Advice needed - please read

Postby mancitysam » 20 Sep 2016 05:02

Hello Everyone,

Recently I've been having a lot of lucid dreams.... I have never really them this often, however, I do briefly remember having the odd one here or there. For this reason I've never felt the need to look deeply into them, I've just sort of accepted the fact I've had a strange dream and left it at that.

Recently these lucid dreams are becoming very unwanted (I know to a lot of you that may sound daft but I can't take them anymore) and I'd like some advice on how to stop them happening completely.

The dream I had tonight sticks out and has led to me writing this...

I probably fell to sleep around 2.30am and woke up around 4.30am drenched with sweat. The dream itself I was moving to various scenery (notably an old worn down house and also a camping field with just a clubhouse on.

I can't remember too many specifics from the start of the dream but I know for sure it was bad. I remember a knife, blood and just general bad things happening. It then came to the open field and my and a friend had set up a tent on the field without paying. This led to something jumping on my back as I lay in the tent. I could feel his hands so intensely on my back and I had no idea whatsoever that I was dreaming. I could sharply feel 2 small hands poking in my back. So I reached round now thinking I was awake, and I could feel the hands through the gap under my armpit. This had me seriously worried and I just didn't know if I was awake. I then had a ghostly figure at the end of my bed. It was like a transparently jelly to look at but I knew it was the outline of a person. I could feel everything they were doing (moving the quilt on and off my foot). It then turned nasty and had a small rodent attack me. This was more visual and I could see it eyes and teeth as it was on my chest. I began shouting my mum loudly (or at least I thought I was). I was in my room, with a figure stood at the end of my bed and a creature on me and I can't stress enough how deeply I could feel absolutely everything. I thought I was awake so I continued shouting my mum to try and get her to come into my room and then I slowly woke up. I can still feel the hands on my back now and I'm worried how much of this pain I will actually be able to feel if I carry on dreaming this deeply.

Any advice or just a general chat about this would be great?

Thanks in advance :)

Keeboard

Re: Advice needed - please read

Postby Keeboard » 21 Sep 2016 22:44

I'd either confront the nightmare or escape it. Once you learn dream control, you can stop bad things from happening in your dreams and have awesome ones! For example, you could walk into a wall or something to make a portal and get away from the scene. It sounds as if you were unsure whether you were awake or not; next time, do a reality check to confirm you're dreaming. You could shout to the villan that it can't hurt you and face it. You could also ask the nightmare character what they represent, fix the problem in real life, and you'll stop having the nightmare. For example, I used to have nightmares where wolves and bears would eat me. I needed to confront something in waking life. I did, and I haven't had those nightmares ever since. Hope I helped!
LD's: 30+
Current dream goal: Grow wings and fly

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 06 Oct 2016 12:09

I have had way fewer falling dreams since I actually hit the ground once. In the dream I just got up again and went on to another dream sequence/event, feeling unphazed.

I also had a really scary dream where a T. rex ate me. I remember being crunched up and just went with it because I knew it was a dream. I never became lucid but it lost it's fear factor.

Charlie Morley has written some good stuff about healing nightmares by being accepting so as not to push the issue deeper.

It sounds like you've had a really horrible experience and I hope that you manage to find a resolution.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 09 Oct 2016 17:13

First of all you are not lucid dreaming, you are just dreaming with a good recall. Think why you are having those dreams and relax. Tell yourself that you will have pleasant dreams before sleeping. " I will dream having a party" Or what ever you want to dream about. Repeat until you are asleep. When you are lucid you are not only the actor but also the director and decide what you will do. Over the years I left horror dreams behind, but it did take awhile. I recall dreams every night not lucid but mostly really nice dreams. In lucid dreams ( Which I have seldom) I know what I want and ask for it. For me the last thing I do and see before going to sleep will most properly come up in a dream. Think Very positive When lucid start doing what you want to do and in time you will be the winner. :)

LucidLove

Postby LucidLove » 09 Oct 2016 21:38

I agree with erichsa; you don't sound as though you're lucid in this dream. It sounds vivid - and very terrifying. My heart goes out to you.

I have a friend who insists that lucid and vivid are the same thing, but the difference is that in a lucid dreaming you know you're dreaming, and it tends to make demons far less fearsome. Your recounting doesn't sound like a lucid dream:

I could feel his hands so intensely on my back and I had no idea whatsoever that I was dreaming. I could sharply feel 2 small hands poking in my back. So I reached round now thinking I was awake, and I could feel the hands through the gap under my armpit. This had me seriously worried and I just didn't know if I was awake. I then had a ghostly figure at the end of my bed. It was like a transparently jelly to look at but I knew it was the outline of a person. I could feel everything they were doing (moving the quilt on and off my foot). It then turned nasty and had a small rodent attack me. This was more visual and I could see it eyes and teeth as it was on my chest. I began shouting my mum loudly (or at least I thought I was). I was in my room, with a figure stood at the end of my bed and a creature on me and I can't stress enough how deeply I could feel absolutely everything. I thought I was awake ...

I added bold to the phrases that suggest to me that you're not having a lucid dream here. In a lucid dream you have no doubt you're asleep.

Lucidity could allow you to face those demons and integrate them into your personality. The use of lucid dreaming to help people suffering nightmares from PTSD is beginning to be documented and you might find relief through this practice. I'm sure there are psychotherapists who are helping folks using this treatment, though I imagine they are not easy to find yet. It's a new treatment modality. But if you live in a major city you might find you're in luck.

I also agree with erichsa, that you may get some relief by intending to have happy dreams, and to even to plan dream specifics.

I send you light.
MJ

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 09 Oct 2016 23:36

I recommend these articles by Ryan Hurd. -
- "9 Ways To Wake Up From Sleep Paralysis" - dreamstudies.org

- "Hypnagogia and Hypnopompia" - dreamstudies.org

Spooky or aggressive dream characters can provoke anxious feelings, but they can also be interesting critters.

You can try Ryan Hurd's suggestion - "Scrunch up your face, snarl, and growl" several times.

Or fight with your opponent. If you feel like you can't move, then imagine creating an additional dream body, which is huge and fierce, and which can roar like thunder.

Or, you can say to your opponent -
- "Why are you threatening me?"
- "What do you represent?"
- "I want to be your friend."
- "I love you."

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”