How to stay lucid for longer?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TheLAWvirus

How to stay lucid for longer?

Postby TheLAWvirus » 24 Sep 2016 13:58

So I have managed to have a few lucid dreams now but they are always really short, in the last one I had I said out loud that I am starting in the dream and I'm not waking up yet I then observed my surrounding a bit more. After I'd done somethings in the dream that I wanted then the dream sort of faded and instead turned black then I opened my eyes and I was awake.

How can I make lucid dreams last longer because it seems like in every lucid dream I have I do a few things then when I've done what I've wanted and I'm not sure of what to do next I wake up, any advice?
Alive? Or just breathing?

dreamstudent

Re: How to stay lucid for longer?

Postby dreamstudent » 01 Oct 2016 03:13

Basically once you realize your lucid in the dream, in the real world your heart rate, breathing, etc. can increase in the real world in theory, which I'm pretty certain of. So it is vital that you do not get excited in the dream. You need to stay calm. You need to not get super excited. simply accept that your lucid think of your to-do list that you have in your mind. Then go about doing those things, some have reported being lucid for days-weeks-months since time can appear somewhat distorted in dreams, also it depends on what stage of your REM cycle your in, how deep of sleep your in, and one of the biggest things for me is how much light is hitting my eyes. If my eyes are completly covered by darkness it gives me the ability to stay much more focused in LD

Dreamer X

Postby Dreamer X » 04 Oct 2016 22:29

Try to focus on your in-dream senses rather than your real-world senses. One thing that is often suggestion is rubbing your hands together. When you do this, try to imagine how it would be in real life; the touch of your hands, the feeling of friction, the sound they make. This should keep your mind occupied on your dream body, and should calm you down.

TheLAWvirus

Postby TheLAWvirus » 16 Oct 2016 21:02

Thank you I will try these
Alive? Or just breathing?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Oct 2016 03:47

Great advice all. Yes, focus on the dream senses and make it your total focus, so for the time being, that is your full reality. Make waking reality a distant memory and try not to think about it. Also, yea, adrenaline will wake you up, so don't get too excited. Sometimes we can't help it of course. And also, I totally agree that the stage of REM which we happen to be in, beyond our control at the time, will influence the longevity. I sometimes get only a 30 second lucid dream, but when I look at my clock after waking up I realize it was the time of day my body naturally wakes up at, so there isn't anything I could mentally do to prolong it. We're a slave to our own body's circadian rhythm.

However, if a lucid dream fades, stay perfectly still, don't move and just try and focus on what you were just doing a moment ago, and if you have a slight image, reach out and try and touch it, or just start walking. I've prolonged lucid dreams through "dream chaining" many times and can get a few in a row, getting back into a dream again with this mindset and approach. It doesn't happen that often and depends on how sleep deprived I was, and how relaxed I am in the moment, catching up on REM Rebound. That is my experience with that.

False awakenings may occur too, but that just comes with the territory and great fun as well.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”