Failed attempt + some questions.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dizzyuluru

Failed attempt + some questions.

Postby dizzyuluru » 28 Sep 2016 20:26

Ok, so I'm 14 years old and I've been intrigued with the concept of lucid dreaming so i figured I'd give it a go. I started slowly, with reality checks and writing in my dream journal around 10 days ago. I then started trying to convince myself I was going to lucid dream a week ago before I went to sleep with little success. The closest I got was I realized I was in a dream for what seemed like 5 seconds before waking up (very early). Just last night I tried my hardest, I used the WILD technique and woke up 4.5 hours after going to sleep, then tried counting up to 200 like "1, I am lucid dreaming. 2, I am lucid dreaming. 3, I am lucid dreaming. etc." in my head. After I got to 200 I did a reality check, and I was still awake. I then tried to relax my body and focus my consciousness on my "third eye" for about 30 minutes, did a reality check, and I was still awake. I then attempted one last time focusing on relaxing completely and trying to convince myself to go into sleep paralysis with no success again (after around 30 minutes, I also did another reality check). Is there anything I should focus on trying or should I continue trying to do the counting method until it works? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I figured I'd elaborate more on my current attempts. I generally sleep with a big light on (Idk why, if it's off I can't sleep). I don't know if this would affect my lucid dreaming attempts or not, but I hope not :P. I also have a smaller red light closer to my bed, and for some reason every time I try to focus my consciousness/relax I start sweating or panic. I don't understand why, is there anything I can do to try and improve my chances?
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

Haradaska

Re: Failed attempt + some questions.

Postby Haradaska » 29 Sep 2016 01:19

Just keep doing what your doing. Dont stop dream journaling or reality checking just because you cant get a lucid dream. the chances of someone getting a completely lucid dream in there first couple of weeks is slim. Trust me, when I started, i couldn't get one for over a month. Then, after the first one came, and i practiced some more they started coming quicker. Its just a brain exercise. Keep doing it and your brain will start to train itself up. I honestly enjoy semi lucid dreams more than full on lucid dreams. They come a lot faster
"my friend urinated on my pc"~Computer troubleshooting sub

irishphoenix

Postby irishphoenix » 29 Sep 2016 18:52

ive tried that technice befor i didnt work for me but i guess everyone is different for how they lucid dream so i guess keep trying and or try other tecniches
dont live life control life

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 29 Sep 2016 19:49

Haradaska wrote:Just keep doing what your doing. Dont stop dream journaling or reality checking just because you cant get a lucid dream. the chances of someone getting a completely lucid dream in there first couple of weeks is slim. Trust me, when I started, i couldn't get one for over a month. Then, after the first one came, and i practiced some more they started coming quicker. Its just a brain exercise. Keep doing it and your brain will start to train itself up. I honestly enjoy semi lucid dreams more than full on lucid dreams. They come a lot faster

Ok, thanks, I was thinking of trying FILD but I can't find any apps for iOS that would automatically turn off the alarm, would you happen to know any by chance?
Last updated 4/4/17

Haradaska

Postby Haradaska » 30 Sep 2016 02:17

Sorry I dont use any thing to lucid dream all but reality checks and dream journaling. What would you happen to mean by " one that turns off by itself". If you can explain what you mean, I could try to find one myself on my spare time.
"my friend urinated on my pc"~Computer troubleshooting sub

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 30 Sep 2016 04:05

Haradaska wrote:Sorry I dont use any thing to lucid dream all but reality checks and dream journaling. What would you happen to mean by " one that turns off by itself". If you can explain what you mean, I could try to find one myself on my spare time.

I was looking for a good alarm app that I can set to go off at 4 am but it automatically turns off after like 30 seconds so I don't have to click "snooze" or anything. For FILD I hear this is usually what people use but I can't seem to find any apps that do this.
Last updated 4/4/17

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 03 Oct 2016 01:55

Hey there

The 'problem' you are experiencing (failed FILD WILD attempts) is very common, and one of the mistakes that a lot of beginners make is trying too hard. I tell beginners this all the time, but it's important not to try too hard - and in this case, you may be trying a little too hard. Don't attempt every lucid dreaming techniques you know in one night.

What I found to work (at least for me) was to put down your extreme eagerness to lucid dream for a day. Keep the idea of lucid dreaming in the back of your mind, but don't think about it too much and go to bed like normal, and I recommend you try WBTB instead of WILD. Having bright lights on can disturb your sleep. Try to make your room dark as possible if you can.

The slight panic mode that you enter while you're trying to relax is also quite common. If you really want to attempt WILD, it's recommended you practice meditation so that you know how to relax (yes, this is another skill that people forget to master).

Because you're still quite young (14 years old, aye?), I would say you need to research more into the different types of lucid dreaming. I personally don't concern myself with OBE (Out of Body Experience) or anything with the third eye, and I hope you'll look more into this before attempting blindly. :)

Good luck!
Image Meow

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 03 Oct 2016 20:15

SleepyKitty wrote:Hey there

The 'problem' you are experiencing (failed FILD WILD attempts) is very common, and one of the mistakes that a lot of beginners make is trying too hard. I tell beginners this all the time, but it's important not to try too hard - and in this case, you may be trying a little too hard. Don't attempt every lucid dreaming techniques you know in one night.

What I found to work (at least for me) was to put down your extreme eagerness to lucid dream for a day. Keep the idea of lucid dreaming in the back of your mind, but don't think about it too much and go to bed like normal, and I recommend you try WBTB instead of WILD. Having bright lights on can disturb your sleep. Try to make your room dark as possible if you can.

The slight panic mode that you enter while you're trying to relax is also quite common. If you really want to attempt WILD, it's recommended you practice meditation so that you know how to relax (yes, this is another skill that people forget to master).

Because you're still quite young (14 years old, aye?), I would say you need to research more into the different types of lucid dreaming. I personally don't concern myself with OBE (Out of Body Experience) or anything with the third eye, and I hope you'll look more into this before attempting blindly. :)

Good luck!

I've been trying to meditate daily for at least 20 minutes each day, so hopefully that helps. I'll try to look into this WBTB thing, and thanks for the help!
Last updated 4/4/17

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 03 Oct 2016 22:02

Hi there,

Further to what sleepy kitty said, the darkness thing could be an issue. There is an article on the website that talks about the importance of melatonin in sleep regulation and dreams. The balance is struck by the light and dark periods of day and night, so as dark as possible at night is beneficial to dreaming. But I guess you have to balance that against the detrimental stress of sleeping, or not, without the light on.

Good luck :D

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 03 Oct 2016 22:50

Sunflowerbader wrote:Hi there,

Further to what sleepy kitty said, the darkness thing could be an issue. There is an article on the website that talks about the importance of melatonin in sleep regulation and dreams. The balance is struck by the light and dark periods of day and night, so as dark as possible at night is beneficial to dreaming. But I guess you have to balance that against the detrimental stress of sleeping, or not, without the light on.

Good luck :D

Ok, tonight I'm gonna sleep w/o the light on and see how that goes. I am going to try the WBTB tactic and I'll post what happens! (Hopefully I get lucky and it works)!
Last updated 4/4/17

Return to “For Beginners”