Long Time Trying

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
WilderWanderer

Long Time Trying

Postby WilderWanderer » 30 Sep 2016 21:14

Hi Everyone!

It's been a while since I've poked my head into forums for lucid dreaming/astral projection. But it has been a life-long passion of mine, even though I have yet to have any regular or controlled experiences with either. I'm 30 years old and have been experimenting with lucid dreaming and astral projection since I as a child.

It seems that I lack the discipline, I fall asleep too fast without success or just haven't found the right routine and techniques yet. I've been experimenting with lucid dreaming since I was a kid, and done it successfully a few brief times, but nothing spectacular. I'm hoping that joining this forum and getting some support and feedback will help!

I also recently found a new lucid-dreaming device being built under a Kickstarter campaign that looks pretty revolutionary, effective, and comfortable. It ACTUALLY reads your brainwaves with an EEG so it KNOWS when you are in rem sleep to send you signals. I have an old lucid dreaming eye-patch device, but it was always too bulky and uncomfortable and would turn on before I was in full rem sleep an wake me up. I can't wait for the campaign to end and get to try it out! It's called the "iBand+: EEG headband": http://vFga8znn.kckb.st and you can read more about it and help it get produced by being a revolutionary part in backing this neat device so you can get the first devices with me and maybe we can chat about their success rate here? Check it out here: http://vFga8znn.kckb.st

Has anyone else had any success with any other devices? Any tried and true methods that have come to the surface since I browsed forums a few years ago?

Thanks for having such a wonderful resource and community! Lots of positive vibes to the community!

SleepyKitty

Re: Long Time Trying

Postby SleepyKitty » 03 Oct 2016 02:49

I personally don't feel the need for dreaming aids. Many of these new devices are more distracting rather than helpful.

I feel that achieving lucid dreams with regular practice and consistent effort is far more effective than what these technologies offer us. :)

It seems that I lack the discipline, I fall asleep too fast without success or just haven't found the right routine and techniques yet. I've been experimenting with lucid dreaming since I was a kid, and done it successfully a few brief times, but nothing spectacular.

It took me a lot of determination to achieve "THE" lucid dream. Perhaps you struggled the same way I did. I'd be really interested, attempt a few techniques, then slowly give up along the way - and this cycle would repeat for few weeks. I think it's important that you really challenge yourself to keep it up without giving up while preventing yourself from straining too hard. Some people take a day to start lucid dreaming while others may take a month, three months, or even years.

Instead of relying on supplements and technologies, try relying on yourself :)
Image Meow

shevek

Postby shevek » 03 Oct 2016 03:15

WilderWanderer, seeing that you've been struggling for the lucid dreams you want for so long gives me perspective and reminds me to be patient. I've only been consciously working on it for about six months, but I just want it to happen already!!

SleepyKitty, I was using a theta-enhancing audio track for a while, but then gave it up for now, thinking that I really need to learn how to direct my attention into the ways that work without external aids. Maybe alternating with and without could be good too.

I wondered last week while trying to apply advice in yoga and meditation classes, am I trying too hard? How the heck to you set a passionate intention (advice from a LD book I'm reading) without trying too hard? Come on, just tell me, sensai!

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 03 Oct 2016 13:09

shevek wrote:SleepyKitty, I was using a theta-enhancing audio track for a while, but then gave it up for now, thinking that I really need to learn how to direct my attention into the ways that work without external aids. Maybe alternating with and without could be good too.

I wondered last week while trying to apply advice in yoga and meditation classes, am I trying too hard? How the heck to you set a passionate intention (advice from a LD book I'm reading) without trying too hard? Come on, just tell me, sensai!

Here's the short answer:
Do your regular practices - reality checks, dream journals, meditations, etc. but don't focus too much on achieving a lucid dream as in - don't attempt three different technique at once or even every day. Allow your mind to push lucid dreaming to the back without you thinking about it too much. Sometimes, not thinking about it at all triggers a sudden lucid dream during your sleep.

Here's the long answer:
The problem with me (and many other beginner lucid dreamers, too) was that I was way too excited and focused on lucid dreaming. I did almost twenty reality checks a day, read about lucid dreaming, listened to binaural beats, watched videos - anything about lucid dreaming, I was on about it. Now every night, I went to sleep with only the thought of lucid dreaming in my head - what I'd do if I became lucid, what reality check I'd use, etc. I was so sure I was going to become lucid, but I woke up next morning, barely able to recall my dreams. This happened very often which made me discouraged several times.

After getting tired of senseless effort, I stopped thinking about lucid dreams, still did one or two reality checks a day as a habit. Then the night when I didn't even think about wanting to lucid dream, I became lucid.

This also happened a lot of times during my quit-then-retry phase.

To me, it doesn't seem like you're trying too hard. Yoga, meditation, music, etc. is fine - it's just the part where people get too eager about lucid dreaming becomes an obstacle instead. It may be different for other people, but for me personally, I found it that not worrying or thinking too much about lucid dream increased my chance of becoming lucid and made it wayyyy easier.

I can wake up in the middle of the night and tell myself, "Huh - maybe I want to lucid dream tonight." and I enter a lucid dream without even getting out of bed.

This is what I mean by "not trying too hard". Don't overthink, don't get overly excited, don't worry about it. :) It'll come without you even having to try.

Hope that made sense :?

*Also, none of the brainwave/binaural beats seemed to work for me. Tell me if any audio-aids work for you ;) *
Image Meow

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 07 Oct 2016 17:09

SleepyKitty wrote:
shevek wrote:SleepyKitty, I was using a theta-enhancing audio track for a while, but then gave it up for now, thinking that I really need to learn how to direct my attention into the ways that work without external aids. Maybe alternating with and without could be good too.

Here's the short answer:
Do your regular practices - reality checks, dream journals, meditations, etc. but don't focus too much on achieving a lucid dream as in - don't attempt three different technique at once or even every day. Allow your mind to push lucid dreaming to the back without you thinking about it too much. Sometimes, not thinking about it at all triggers a sudden lucid dream during your sleep.

Here's the long answer:
The problem with me (and many other beginner lucid dreamers, too) was that I was way too excited and focused on lucid dreaming. I did almost twenty reality checks a day, read about lucid dreaming, listened to binaural beats, watched videos - anything about lucid dreaming, I was on about it. Now every night, I went to sleep with only the thought of lucid dreaming in my head - what I'd do if I became lucid, what reality check I'd use, etc. I was so sure I was going to become lucid, but I woke up next morning, barely able to recall my dreams. This happened very often which made me discouraged several times.

After getting tired of senseless effort, I stopped thinking about lucid dreams, still did one or two reality checks a day as a habit. Then the night when I didn't even think about wanting to lucid dream, I became lucid.

This also happened a lot of times during my quit-then-retry phase.

To me, it doesn't seem like you're trying too hard. Yoga, meditation, music, etc. is fine - it's just the part where people get too eager about lucid dreaming becomes an obstacle instead. It may be different for other people, but for me personally, I found it that not worrying or thinking too much about lucid dream increased my chance of becoming lucid and made it wayyyy easier.

I can wake up in the middle of the night and tell myself, "Huh - maybe I want to lucid dream tonight." and I enter a lucid dream without even getting out of bed.

This is what I mean by "not trying too hard". Don't overthink, don't get overly excited, don't worry about it. :) It'll come without you even having to try.

Hope that made sense :?

*Also, none of the brainwave/binaural beats seemed to work for me. Tell me if any audio-aids work for you ;) *

Just gonna jump in here, the binaural beats just keep me up and distract me, so I wouldn't use those but if it works for anyone else, go for it.
I've been trying for 19 days with 1 very short success 10 days in, but I've been trying since then, so don't give up!
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

Return to “Introduce Yourself”