First major step to lucid dreaming

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.

Was this a good sign? Did I handle it well?

Yes and yes
14%
yes and no
43%
no and no
14%
no and yes
14%
I have a longer answer (reply)
14%

Total votes: 7

ReallyGayPerson

First major step to lucid dreaming

Postby ReallyGayPerson » 02 Oct 2016 23:08

I've been trying to lucid dream for a while now, using techniques like meditation and stuff, but to no success for a while.
However! Last night I had a dream in which I achieved a brief level of lucidity.

I meditated for half an hour before I slowly went to sleep repeating confirmation that I will be lucid as I had read to do.

Next thing I know I'm just in a grey landscape. I look around: just grey everywhere. No detail, only a slight gradient from dark grey to light grey. The floor is nothing, I'm somehow held up by an unknown force, just everything is grey. It's like I was placed in the foreground of an i,mage of just the colour grey, it was strange. Now, with most dreams, I always feel like I have been in that reality forever, and go about my daily business, only realising the strangeness when I wake up, but with this dream I felt I had been plucked from reality and placed into this one, so very quickly I realised and said out loud "I'm dreaming. I am asleep, and this is my dream."

I felt around, but felt nothing other than the smooth invisible ground, as I remember reading to feel around your surroundings. I rubbed my hands together as I had started to feel faint. I tried to create something small, just baby steps first: a butterfly. Not even a moving one, just any sign of a butterfly. However, as soon as I tried, the grey suddenly darkened to black and next thing I knew I had woke up.

I was very happy with this, even if it ended quickly :D

TheLAWvirus

Re: First major step to lucid dreaming

Postby TheLAWvirus » 16 Oct 2016 21:21

Hey, for a first lucid dream that was a success next time try to take it a bit slower and use all 5 senses when trying to stabilise the dream, because now that you've managed to have one (I'm just assuming its your first) it will become slowly easier to continue to have more.

With the butterfly however it usually helpful to try and find it somewhere or to turn around and suddenly see the butterfly rather than just make it appear try to use some logic within the dream and this should make the experience easy.

For a first however that was successful and I think that you did handle it well, good luck!
Alive? Or just breathing?

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 27 Nov 2016 22:30

That sounds like an exciting step in the right direction. I have read about people being in unformed dream landscapes of grey before. They recommend sitting tight and doing some meditation while the dream populates itself with, err, everything.

edgzamora2

Postby edgzamora2 » 28 Nov 2016 02:08

Sunflowerbader wrote:That sounds like an exciting step in the right direction. I have read about people being in unformed dream landscapes of grey before. They recommend sitting tight and doing some meditation while the dream populates itself with, err, everything.

Yeah, I've done this and it's pretty cool seeing everything coming to life and seeing the colors fill the landscape.

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 28 Nov 2016 07:49

Cool. Were you able to influence what appeared?

edgzamora2

Postby edgzamora2 » 29 Nov 2016 06:47

Sunflowerbader wrote:Cool. Were you able to influence what appeared?

I haven't really tried to influence the environment, it just naturally comes to life without me demanding something specific, for example, asking for giant flowers etc.
It is better to see what your mind will create, sometimes it's a city or a town house or store / apartment. My favorite is when I am standing in the middle of an open field surrounded by trees and beautiful flowers. If you get your first lucid dream, I recommend trying to take in the scenery because your mind can create stunning landscapes or as I like to call them, "dreamscapes".

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 29 Nov 2016 07:47

I had my first LD a couple of weeks ago. I have been careful to make sure I don't attempt too much too soon, and I had a lovely walk through a festival to a riverside pub. Bonus :D

The next LD is yet to arrive but my outlook is positive and my practice is ever more focussed.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jan 2017 08:59

If you find yourself in this situation again. You can still have an interesting time by studying yourself in your dream. eg Did you have form? What did your hands look like? What were your clothes like etc. Just dont worry about the greyness, just focus on other things there and the dream should end up coming in
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”