Can lucid dreaming help with sleep paralysis?

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Buckles2010

Can lucid dreaming help with sleep paralysis?

Postby Buckles2010 » 08 Oct 2016 03:27

Hi fellow dreamers!

This is my first foray into this forum. I am 29 years old and have had a very active dream life from a very young age. My childhood was full of nightmares and sleep paralysis. As I got older, I started to have lucid dreams. My first lucid dream happened in the middle of a nightmare where I allowed a monster to eat me so the dream would end.

For some reason, in my later 20's, my sleep paralysis experiences have gotten more and more terrifying. I get ripped from my body and dragged through my house, usually towards some terrifying being. I want to get a handle on this as my body always feels drained the day after a paralysis episode, and it's anxiety inducing. Has anyone been able to use lucid dreaming techniques to ward off sleep paralysis? Thanks for listening!

StrongHeart

Re: Can lucid dreaming help with sleep paralysis?

Postby StrongHeart » 08 Oct 2016 04:01

Hello Buckles! I have not had any luck with breaking sleep paralysis or think lucid dreaming can have any effect on it as I have been completely aware of what was going on while I was experiencing the paralysis. It feels like there is a huge weight holding my body down while only my eyes can move and see my surroundings. If I try to lift and arm or leg it feels like it weighs a ton. I remember one time my sister was sleeping in the room next to the couch I was sleeping on and I was trying to yell to get her to wake up and wake me up so I could snap out of it with no luck. It was so weird that during my sleep paralysis, my brain was able to pick up the signal of a radio station located in California and I was in New York City. This was my last sleep paralysis episode I had that I can remember and was many years ago.

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 08 Oct 2016 10:37

Hi there

Lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis are not the same thing, although you may experience SP while entering a lucid dream. Being lucid can help you overcome nightmares but not necessarily sleep paralysis. I do experience sleep paralysis once in a while, but it has never been scary, and most of the people who have it don't mention it being so terrifying.

Can you describe more in detail for me what happens during your sleep paralysis?
I get ripped from my body and dragged through my house, usually towards some terrifying being.
I'm not too familiar with this kind of scenario, but it seems like your case is quite extreme.

I may sound crazy, but that sounds more like a demon attack sort of thing to me rather than sleep paralysis (and yes - I'm aware not everyone believes in such thing). If this sort of thing keeps occurring during your sleep, I strongly suggest you seek out a councilor or therapist. It's really your choice on solving this problem, but I don't really think lucid dreaming is going to stop that. You can still test it out and see :)
Image Meow

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 09 Oct 2016 05:21

SleepyKitty wrote:
I may sound crazy, but that sounds more like a demon attack sort of thing to me rather than sleep paralysis (and yes - I'm aware not everyone believes in such thing).

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 09 Oct 2016 05:24

Kitty cat, you do not sound crazy to me. I have heard/read many similarly describe demonic-like encounters in sleep paralysis. Discussion of whether it is only illusion or has basis in the spiritual world is reasonable. If it is illusion only, why is the demonic theme so common? Maybe the peaceful state is just not reported because it does not provoke people to say something?

I think that I have gotten close to sleep paralysis, but never really experienced it.

Do you mind telling your religious worldview?

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 12 Oct 2016 09:57

Pilgrim wrote:Kitty cat, you do not sound crazy to me. I have heard/read many similarly describe demonic-like encounters in sleep paralysis. Discussion of whether it is only illusion or has basis in the spiritual world is reasonable. If it is illusion only, why is the demonic theme so common? Maybe the peaceful state is just not reported because it does not provoke people to say something?

I think that I have gotten close to sleep paralysis, but never really experienced it.

Do you mind telling your religious worldview?

Hmm - not sure how deep I should go, but I am a Christian. I noticed some people here were pretty tight against religious topics so I don't really talk about it much. One thing to note about myself is that I don't lucid dream in hopes of finding a spiritual realm - I personally believe that it's best if left alone.

How about you? :)
Image Meow

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 12 Oct 2016 11:32

Kitty, sounds great to me because I am a Christian too. I actually joined this, my first, forum to respond on some matters from the atheists on a thread in Dream Science called Lucid Dreamers and God. (I began countering on that thread on page 29.). Other threads where we discuss Christianity were in Off Topic on Terrorism and Marriage of Language and Instinct. Summerlander, Enra, and Deschain (aka, octopus) are examples of well-read and intelligent atheists on this forum who interact on religion. (The pantheistic oriented worldviews tend not to debate as much. I think because truth is viewed a bit differently--not objective and discoverable.)

You can talk about anything you want. I have not been kicked off yet anyway. I try to be respectful to everybody. Sometimes, I probably joke around with a bit too much sarcasm to make points. :D

About spiritual significance of dreams, I definitely do not rule it out. But, I think that dreams and perceived OBEs are illusions. I am rigorous in the considering the significance of subjective experience, and certainly hold the Scriptures as the important objective standard.

Pilgrim

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 12 Oct 2016 15:08

Glad I found someone with similar views :)

Pilgrim wrote:About spiritual significance of dreams, I definitely do not rule it out. But, I think that dreams and perceived OBEs are illusions.

I did read an article some time ago about God forbidding occult practices (apparently OBEs and near-death-experience are considered as occult practices); I'm pretty confused whether or not this is true. I began practicing lucid dreaming out of pure curiosity, but after experiencing a few, I'm beginning to feel that dreams aren't merely happening within our brain. I read all these crazy dark stories people post on this forum and makes me wonder what all that's about.

I'd like to hear your thought on this. :D
Image Meow

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 13 Oct 2016 03:38

Kitty, dreams/visions happened constantly in the Scriptures. And, even though dreams had spiritual significance before Christ, the prophet Joel predicted future outpouring of God's spirit for more prominence of dreams and visions. We should probably begin a new thread on how Christians view lucid dreaming.

See Paul's account in 2 Cor. 12. He had an experience that could be perceived as out of body. However, he makes very clear that he did not know whether it was real or a dream vision. The spiritual significance was just as valid even if it were dream.

I regularly challenge people to consider the possibility of malignant spirits. It does not have to be a monster to be evil, as appearance as even an angel of light can be deception. Fellowship with God brings liberty, whether fearful imagination or actual evil.

Edited to add: Perceived "out of body experiences" for me are simply dreams that begin in my bedroom. The feel of floating up since gravity does not apply in dreams, is realistic enough to fool anyone. I never see my body left in bed because my mind understands that it is a dream. The bed vs other beginning environments have no significance to me, and I do not consider it occult in any way.

SleepyKitty

Postby SleepyKitty » 13 Oct 2016 14:17

Hmm I see, but I still think spiritual realms and such should be left alone as I believe that God does not want us to seek him through such ways.

I'll keep looking into this! And it'll be interesting to read some threads with other Christian's views :)

Thanks for your reply!
Image Meow

Return to “Introduce Yourself”