How do you escape a false awakening loop?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Firebrand

How do you escape a false awakening loop?

Postby Firebrand » 10 Oct 2016 23:30

okay, so I occasionally lucid dream unintentionally, which I think often happens due to my constant use of the internet while awake, and since applications like google search don't work in dreams. I can search but the results are always wrong, usually seemingly purposefully omitting results related to the subject of my search, which tends to frustrate me into lucidity. I'm aware that this probably happens due to the sleeping mind's inability to accurately imitate things like the internet. (I've also read that language centers tend to shut down while sleeping).

Another thing that happens frequently, when I do lucid dream, is false awakening. this tends to happen in loops, leaving me trapped while dreaming for a while, sometimes causing me to panic (earlier today I was reduced to screaming for someone to come wake me up, which was completely futile, as I was only screaming in my head and no one could hear me). This is a relatively recent development, as it used to be fairly easy to wake up, and I would usually immediately wake after becoming lucid.

One of the thing's I've realized though, is that when I have a false awakening, I'm often not in the same house that I live in while I'm awake. It must be because lucidity while dreaming isn't as complete as full consciousness, but when dreaming, I usually don't immediately recognize that my surroundings aren't the same as those I live in when awake. Even when somewhat aware of it this fact seems to go ignored, taking a backseat to either events while dreaming or emotional states and actions while lucid dreaming.

It seems that I'm only partially conscious even when lucid and fully aware that I'm in a dream, and this seems to be what allows false awakenings to take place. I also seem to have no control over the environment (which is usually very small, limited to one room or a small bubble of outdoors), and much less control over myself than I used to have in less lucid dreams. I was once able to alter the outcomes of much more complex and adventurous dreams, and could basically use superpowers when I wanted to, including invincibility, levitation, pyrokinesis and awesome dragon armor. My environments also used to seem larger and more complex, along with my experiences. There also seem to be far fewer interactions with other people in my current dreams, restricted to close family members for short periods of time (while I used to meet multiple people in dreams, both inspired by people I'd met, as well as complete strangers who often also had inexplicable abilities and interesting and mysterious personalities).

I guess it's because I've gotten older and less naive, and that it's affecting my dreamscape. but it's a bit frustrating to go from having satisfying sleep adventures to being trapped in frightening false awakening loops with very little interesting content.

Anyone have any tips to help me become more aware of my surroundings so I don't fall for false awakenings, or know any easy ways to wake myself up when I get trapped?

LucidLove

Re: How do you escape a false awakening loop?

Postby LucidLove » 10 Oct 2016 23:42

Well, a practice of mindfulness meditation would certainly help you with becoming more aware of your surroundings - both when asleep and awake. There are lots of ways to learn this and many teachers of the practice - the most famous I know is Thich Naht Hanh (easy to google if you're awake when you read this ;) ). And a meditation practice also has enormous benefits to your physical and mental health.

Many lucid dreamers (and wannabes) make a practice of doing a Reality Check every time they awaken in order to counter false awakenings. The goal is a little different than yours, but false awakenings often flip the dreamer into a non-lucid dream and a reality check gets you lucid again.

If you are lucid and you want to wake up, try deep breathing - that seems to be an effective way to come to an actual awakening as it tends to help break sleep paralysis, too.

Well, I am sure there are a lot of folks with more and better ideas for you.

Let us know how it goes, please.

yosa2

Postby yosa2 » 11 Oct 2016 07:01

I have found forcibly making your eyelids open to work; you need to first feel that it may be a dream, then try to open your eyes,this may not help but it has been what I have learned to do.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Oct 2016 08:30

I sometimes get false awakening loops or a chain of them in a row as well.
They can seem scary sometimes because I think I might be dead and just can't wake up!

But I got use to them, and are now some of my fondest and most vivid dreams. If you find yourself in one again, take control and forget about waking life. Take a breath and realize you are still OK, and it's your world to play in.

If you want to wake up, try to have sex in the dream. That always works because my damn subconscious is a cockblocker. :D

Bottom line is, yea, it can be scary to get a bunch in a row and they are so real, but we gotta joke about it. I am half serious about my solution though. Might as well make the best of it because you have nothing to lose, but waking up. If not. then as Quagmire would say, "Alright"
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Oct 2016 08:37

Firebrand wrote:One of the thing's I've realized though, is that when I have a false awakening, I'm often not in the same house that I live in while I'm awake. It must be because lucidity while dreaming isn't as complete as full consciousness, but when dreaming, I usually don't immediately recognize that my surroundings aren't the same as those I live in when awake. Even when somewhat aware of it this fact seems to go ignored, taking a backseat to either events while dreaming or emotional states and actions while lucid dreaming.

Yea, I know what you mean. I had so many false awakenings, I think they outnumber my lucid dreams now. I even get 'false sleepenings'. That's what I call it when I am in a bed and trying to sleep only to realize later that it was all a dream.

It's amazing how we can forget our current life, and just assume an old house and a former self is the norm. Kinda of scary too, when you realize how fragile our minds are.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Oct 2016 14:46

I had false awakening loops, I had that happen to me one time for what felt like many hours over and over and ended up thinking I wasnt going to be able to escape it (it made me feel like I was going to go crazy). I dont know what advise to give to stop it, I know when I get stuck into this I just cant tell if Im awake or asleep and then when I finally do wake up, Im usually unaware im feeling awake and mistake it for another false awakening. (unlike your case when this happens to me Im in my normal house with everything as it normally is in real life and hence there is nothing that appears odd).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”