Trouble Flying in Dreams HELP

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
dreamstudent

Trouble Flying in Dreams HELP

Postby dreamstudent » 17 Oct 2016 07:34

Alright some of you know me, some of you may not. Ive been skydiving in real life as a fun fact so I am not scared of heights etc, I just have a mental barrier within lucid dreams when it comes to flight, the mental barrier in a way says, "You cannot fly like the birds of the air", even though I know I have complete control of my Lucid Dreams, there just seems to be a struggle when it comes to flight, like i said I have flown before, but its limited and I want to be able to do it whenever I'm lucid.

I am an experienced lucid dreamer, yes i have flown in lucid dreams before, levitated jumped super high, but it is extremely limited. To when, how powerful the lucid dream is, and how much I am actually in control of the dream, how deep my sleep is, usual stuff like that.

I am very envious of flight itself, i wish i was a bird sometimes, because the creatures of the air have such grace and freedom. Its amazing I really wish humans could fly in real life. Your probably wondering why is this person telling me this. I think it will help you in your answer to help me learn to regularly fly within a general lucid dream, any lucid dream.

So when I mean I want to fly in a lucid dream, I mean that I want to fly up into the sky above the clouds with complete control, I want to go into space if that is my wish, when I want to fly forward fast I want to fly forward fast, If i want to go up really high into the sky I want exactly that, unfortunately, this has been one wall I have not been able to climb over in my many years of lucid dreaming, I can levitate, yes, fly in circles, yes, jump extremely high, yes, but I cannot fly above the clouds like the birds of the air. I cannot fly for extended periods of time, I cannot command my mind like i do many other things in lucid dreams, when it comes to flight there is some sort of mental barrier I can't seem to surpass.

Can I stop time in my dreams? Can I summon lucid dream characters, change my setting, go to different worlds? YES, but I can I fly on command in my lucid dreams? NO! and it is so F**KING annoying, no other way to say it guys and girls I had to say it that way, because it is beyond frustrating for a lucid dreamer, to have trouble with one of the absolute basics of lucid dreaming. For years I have tried to overcome this hump but I cannot, I need techniques, advice, commands, anything you got in regard to flight within a LUCID DREAM!!

Sunflowerbader

Re: Trouble Flying in Dreams HELP

Postby Sunflowerbader » 25 Oct 2016 12:59

Robert Waggoner has written a section on this in his book on LD. He says that the best way to learn to fly well is to start moving to places by intending yourself to be there and imagining it happening, then you fly there spontaneously. Once you have developed this skill it becomes easier and easier to use and becomes the real flying experience you want. Apparently this is a good way to learn the mental mechanics.

He also writes that some people look down and their expectation that they cannot sustain flight kicks in and they start falling, so maybe avoid lookong down until you are super confident of your ability.

zua

Postby zua » 26 Oct 2016 17:47

I would call this fenomenon not a barrier but a prohibition or more preciesly a dream 'censorship'. I know what you are talking about. Castaneda in one of his books wrote about this barrier, if I find a quote I'll type it for you

katarinaa

Postby katarinaa » 31 Oct 2016 20:15

Recently i have had the same problem. I have been able to fly quite easily in most of my LDs, but the previous 2 i had a moments doubt, and in one i fell from a great height, in the other i just couldn't get off the ground! I wondered if it had something to do with self doubt and frustration i am currently experiencing in my waking reality.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 04 Nov 2016 07:49

very interesting, thank you all I will try to imagine myself to be somewhere and then i guess you would fly there intersting you say that, because now that I think of it, I already have the ability to change my habitat or location at will, thus for technicly eliminating the need to fly, but i suppose its the feeling of free controlled flight I want.. Thank you though. Id much appreciate those quotes from that author zua!

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 04 Nov 2016 07:50

katarinaa wrote:Recently i have had the same problem. I have been able to fly quite easily in most of my LDs, but the previous 2 i had a moments doubt, and in one i fell from a great height, in the other i just couldn't get off the ground! I wondered if it had something to do with self doubt and frustration i am currently experiencing in my waking reality.

thats my thing I feel like it has to do with the real world impeding on the dream world, but as I mentioned in the comment above I have the ability to change my environment at will, so technically the need to fly places is unnecessary besides the feeling I want, thank you though for your input

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”