Feeling dark presence after initiating lucid dream

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
soulsearcher

Feeling dark presence after initiating lucid dream

Postby soulsearcher » 24 Oct 2016 07:26

I was in and out of sleep on the couch after doing a bunch of assignments and watching the protest going on in DC and without purposefully doing so I slipped into a lucid dream. In the past, I was consciously trying to initiate one while I was very tired, and came close but I think fear stopped me. Anyhow, in the beginning, I didn't see anything, it was just darkness and a voice. I wish I could remember ver batim what was said, but it was something along the lines of if I trusted my elders before me. And I answered (without actually speaking) that yes, I wanted to leave and I was upset with the state of the planet. Without actually seeing my body, I felt that lightness sensation I've heard described before, the shedding of the body if you will. It was an indescribable sensation though, truly. Incredible. Then I found myself standing on the couch I fell asleep on, exactly as if I had stood up from where I was sleeping, and instinctively jumped (which is the reality check I have done in waking life, although strangely I haven't in weeks) and realized it was more of a float down than a hard thud down.
Unfortunately, things got dark very quickly.. Almost immediately I felt as if there was a dark presence of some sort in the room and heard a dark, evil-sounding voice. I tried to put myself at ease and banish the fear, but I was not successful and ended up panicking until I could force myself to wake up. I'm still a little shaken and trying to calm myself down. Now, although this is my first post (I found this article upon waking and searching for information on the subject) from the few threads I've gathered I know some people are more strictly science and some more spiritual, and I definitely fall on the spiritual side. Hermetic principles, metaphysical kind of spirituality although I find value in the bible and tipitaka and jain scriptures. So, any analysis offered from those perspectives would be greatly appreciated although I welcome anything that could potentially help me understand this. I don't know if it's an actual external energy or a fear. But I've gone through periods of time in teenage years where sleep paralysis was so bad I would cry in my room with lights on through the night because I was afraid to sleep. I've also had a very sad and scary dream come true that I'm probably about to post in the appropriate section.. When my grandmother vacationed in the mountains in TN, a psychic woman approached her, told her things she wouldn't just know, including that her first grandchild (me) is a girl (true) and that I'm a seer, and that my grandma should help me interpret my dreams.
I feel dreams are very powerful and are a tie to something bigger, and I am hoping to gain some insight or advice... How do I know if it's an external force or an internal fear being projected? What can I do if it IS an external dark energy?

jasmine2

Re: Feeling dark presence after initiating lucid dream

Postby jasmine2 » 25 Oct 2016 03:11

I think that most people who explore ordinary dreams, lucid dreams, or out of body experiences, will, from time to time, encounter spooky, menacing dream world characters.

These shadowy figures may manifest during the transition state between being awake and dreaming. Sensing some unknown imaginative presence often triggers a feeling of fear, which stimulates the strange character to act or sound threatening.

Some suggestions -

- If the scary character attacks you, imagine that you (or a dream double self) becomes huge, and strong, and fight the attacker.

- Or, even if you are feeling nervous, try to talk to the character. Take the attitude that this is really an interesting dream phenomenon.
Say, "Wow! You are pretty impressive, but I'm curious about you. What do you represent? Why are you appearing to me?"

Once when I "felt and saw" a dream demon next to my bed, I told him, "I love you!", and he instantly disappeared.

I recommend -

- Website - dreamstudies.org - hosted by Ryan Hurd
On Home page, scroll down and click - "Read The Blog" - Then click tab - "Sleep paralysis"
Includes about 20 informative articles.
See especially - "9 Ways To Wake Up From Sleep Paralysis"

- Website asdreams.org - Nightmare Help/International Association For the Study Of Dreams

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 25 Oct 2016 09:36

Thanks for sharing. The issues that you present tie to the issue of truth of reality and worldview.

I joined and began discussing my views at this link.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15030&start=280

I have typed more than most care to hear on religion. You can tell me if you find my perspective relevant and wish for me to discuss more. My argumentation has been with the atheist view. I suppose the atheist does not have internal fear of evil spiritual beings, since such are viewed not to exist. Since your experience of knowledge of the spiritual world probably puts atheism off the table for you, you can know that my perspective squashes fear too. I do not have dream illusions of creepies because my actual belief of external reality places God in control and most powerful over all. External and internal solved.

Best,
Pilgrim

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Oct 2016 15:50

It is important to make certain distinctions here regarding oneirophobia in both theists and atheists ...

I happen to be an atheist who does not fear evil spirits because I don't believe in such things. Having said this, I can still experience what I call an irrational fear during sleep paralysis (induced by an active amygdala and exacerbated by horrible hallucinations) and nightmares.

But this doesn't apply to all atheists; some disbelieve in God (as the definition requires) but can still suspect---or even believe in---the existence of an immaterial world populated by discarnate beings. (A godless afterlife can be imagined to exist.)

This can aggravate their oneirophobia if they believe dreams to be metaphysical in nature, especially if there is no god or gods to rescue them from nightmares. An atheist can still believe in the afterlife as the possibility of this one does not require the existence of God.

As a theist, Pilgrim is fearless at bedtime as the belief in a protective and all-powerful god comforts him. This works for him. This isn't to say that all theists are in this position. One can believe in God and still think that demons can claim one's soul in dreams---especially if their view entails a god who can abandon them on a whim or as punishment for recent infractions.

Nay, there are theists who, apart from believing in a god (as the definition implicates) disbelieve in a spirit realm---either because they view God as corporeal and verge on materialism, or, like Tertullian, subscribe to the traducian theory (matter in the process of forming their non-physical essence as a by-product) where death guarantees a communion with God's mind alone.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 27 Oct 2016 00:00

Summerlander is correct that people carry a variety of views. For example, one who identifies as Christian and regularly attends religious services, might not have such beliefs as part of core knowledge. Association to religions or groups can be for social connection and such.

Or, one might lean towards and identify with naturalism, but suspect (doubt with varying degrees) the spiritual world.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 10 Nov 2016 23:29

Soulsearcher vanished without a word, after three of us were trying to help. Strange :|

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Nov 2016 23:41

Maybe he found our input unhelpful because it might have conflicted with his beliefs.

Or a dark presence told him to stay away from us or else ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 11 Nov 2016 03:23

He could have just told us that we are nuts. It would be more respectful than silence, since we gave him time from our lives.

LMeltdown

Postby LMeltdown » 08 Dec 2016 15:16

Well I found both of you, Pilgrim and Summerlander helpful. I just started the whole thing of using a binaural beats app this week and have had some weird experiences so thought I'd try to get some perspective. I am a Christian Catholic and part of my whole belief thing is to be a good skeptic - not disbeliever and I'm probably considered a heretic. I, for one, always appreciate the input of atheists, and you brought up a different realm of atheism where there's no belief in a One Higher Power, but a spiritual collective void of heavenly and hellish rulers.

I'm curious if what I've experienced of good and bad entities I've seen are figments of my imagination. I just don't know what these experiences are for the lucid dreaming thing. Is it nothing more than watching a movie playing out but I'm a participant absorbing the images and entities and interacting with real or imaginary people?

I'm a total naive newbie so still trying to learn what it all is.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Dec 2016 17:57

When I first started, I strongly suspected I was visiting another plane of existence with my consciousness; and this plane appeared to be populated by other discarnate beings. But the more I explored and experimented, the more I saw that it was all me---either dream elements exuded a strangely familiar mystique or I was able to control what at first I thought was completely autonomous and apart from my will.

As far as I'm aware, lucid dreams are largely governed by the subconscious mind. As an experienced lucid dreamer, I have not had one iota of evidence to suggest that they are otherwise. But at the same time I can only speak for myself.

So far, those who claim that they know for sure such experiences are more than the subjective---individuals who say they 'astral-project' and communicate with spiritual entities---have failed to prove to me and the rest of the world their alleged authenticity.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Paranormal Activity”