Been Going at this for 8 months and hopeful

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Ragnasedge

Been Going at this for 8 months and hopeful

Postby Ragnasedge » 27 Oct 2016 06:12

So roughly Mid-December of last year i decided to buy the World of Lucid Dreaming guide, and for the last 8 of 10 months I've been trying desperately to lucid dream to no avail. While I have made huge strides in improving my waking life through dreams, and I record roughly 2-3 dreams a night, going lucid has completely evaded me.

I mostly signed up for this forum in the hopes that I could find a way to spark lucidity, and once I get there; I can hopefully be able to use both this and the guide to ensure I do the most I can in lucid dreams instead of squandering them.

I have taken a two month break recently from focusing my efforts on Lucid Dreaming in the hopes that perhaps it's been my constant dogged persistence of a lucid dream that's been keeping me from having one, and I plan on refocusing on it again some time in either December as a one year anniversary, or late November. For now though, all I do that's dream related is recording them in the mornings, and analyzing them once i'm done with work. I've had to force myself to refrain from performing reality checks, and thinking about lucid dreaming in general.

If I can clearly find something very wrong with my methods soon though, I'll very quickly stop my break and start attempting to Lucid Dream again.

zua

Re: Been Going at this for 8 months and hopeful

Postby zua » 27 Oct 2016 13:58

Ragnasedge wrote:If I can clearly find something very wrong with my methods soon though, I'll very quickly stop my break and start attempting to Lucid Dream again.

You haven't ever seen LD in your life? Not once, right?
Have you ever used the technique of looking at your hands at a daytime?

Ragnasedge

Postby Ragnasedge » 27 Oct 2016 14:08

Yeah unfortunately. I think the closest i ever came as a kid was fighting off vampires in a nightmare, but even then it didn't feel like I made the conscious choice to do it.

Is the looking at your hands thing a reality check? Or is that something else? I always tried the whole 'phase your arm through things' check but I have no idea if that really produced any results.

Thanks for helping me by the way, I appreciate it. When I get back into it I'll try the hands thing.

zua

Postby zua » 27 Oct 2016 16:00

Ragnasedge wrote:Yeah unfortunately. I think the closest i ever came as a kid was fighting off vampires in a nightmare, but even then it didn't feel like I made the conscious choice to do it.

Is the looking at your hands thing a reality check? Or is that something else? I always tried the whole 'phase your arm through things' check but I have no idea if that really produced any results.

Thanks for helping me by the way, I appreciate it. When I get back into it I'll try the hands thing.

Wait - what is 'reality check'? I'm not an English native speaker. I learned a simple method of conjuring LD from one good man. He asked me not to publish it though :(
but even that method doesn't work with everybody

Ragnasedge

Postby Ragnasedge » 27 Oct 2016 18:55

Sorry for the confusion. I realized not everyone here has likely read the World of Lucid Dreaming guide.

Yeah I think for me the method of focusing on things or performing actions and asking if I'm dreaming doesn't work all to well, at least I think so. I'm really not sure what works and what doesn't honestly, and that's a large part of the reason why I took my two month break from trying so hard to lucid dream.

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 27 Oct 2016 20:27

zua wrote:Wait - what is 'reality check'? I'm not an English native speaker. I learned a simple method of conjuring LD from one good man. He asked me not to publish it though :(
but even that method doesn't work with everybody

A reality check is when you do something usually multiple times a day to check if you are *probably* in reality or in a dream. An example would be covering your mouth and trying to breath, or putting your finger through your hand. Both are impossible in real life, but work in a dream.

Ragnasedge wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I realized not everyone here has likely read the World of Lucid Dreaming guide.

Yeah I think for me the method of focusing on things or performing actions and asking if I'm dreaming doesn't work all to well, at least I think so. I'm really not sure what works and what doesn't honestly, and that's a large part of the reason why I took my two month break from trying so hard to lucid dream.

A reality check that works best for me is either covering my hand or nose and trying to breath. If I do this in a dream, it has worked every time but people are different so you should experiment with different reality checks if the one you're currently using doesn't work. Another tip is to meditate at least 5-20 minutes a day if you aren't already, and I assume you already write your dreams down in a dream journal but if you don't I'd recommend that.
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

zua

Postby zua » 28 Oct 2016 10:38

Ragnasedge wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I realized not everyone here has likely read the World of Lucid Dreaming guide.

To achieve the proper mood for lucid dreaming, it's necessary to do a certain thing during the daytime as if you were in a dream. It is some kind of 'reallity check' conducted not in a dream but in reallity. When you decide to resume your LD practices l'll teach you what to do

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 31 Oct 2016 07:37

Ragnasedge wrote:So roughly Mid-December of last year i decided to buy the World of Lucid Dreaming guide, and for the last 8 of 10 months I've been trying desperately to lucid dream to no avail. While I have made huge strides in improving my waking life through dreams, and I record roughly 2-3 dreams a night, going lucid has completely evaded me.

I mostly signed up for this forum in the hopes that I could find a way to spark lucidity, and once I get there; I can hopefully be able to use both this and the guide to ensure I do the most I can in lucid dreams instead of squandering them.

Hey Ragnasedge,

I am in a similar situation. I have been trying to lucid dream for just over two months with only a few partially lucid experiences. Like you I have found the whole process to be very life enriching apart from the frustrating lack of lucid dreams. I admire your persistence and I believe we can both get there.

I had a great dream last night where I was talking to a guy who said that LD was a mental health problem, then a miniture cyclone comes tearing up the road and it's carrying a giant overripe banana, and I never think it's weird enough to do a reality check! Gah! :oops:

I hope that you enjoy your break and come back refreshed.

Ragnasedge

Postby Ragnasedge » 03 Nov 2016 13:52

I'm very likely going to come back from my break soon in all honesty. I've felt my dream recall die a little, and I've got more free time than I know what to do with (mostly just spent reading things on this forum).

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 03 Nov 2016 14:16

I think I definitely need to meditate more. I can do it for tai chi but basic mindfulness is hard. Luckily I am working by a river this week and get to practice at lunch time. The river sounds help, so I might play some on my stereo at home.

Good luck filling your time and getting lucid.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”