Was I just Trying too Hard?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Ragnasedge

Was I just Trying too Hard?

Postby Ragnasedge » 03 Nov 2016 12:46

After spending some time looking around these forums, I've mostly come to the realization that the months I spent trying to LD were in vain only because I focused way too hard on it. I would try to force myself into lucid dreams, and get mad when I woke in the morning to a non-lucid dream that was barely even vivid. I wasn't really learning subconsciously at all. I just need tips on how I can stop focusing as hard on Lucid Dreaming, and learn to go with the flow of it instead, as I'm pretty sure that was my problem. If anyone can help me, it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

The major thing as well was the fact that I was having incredibly vivid dreams. Like, dreams that practically felt real, but the problem was just that when it came to it, because I kept trying too hard, my dream self would never subconsciously reality check. I did somewhere around 20 reality checks a day and tried nearly every method I could get my hands on as well as always trying to ground myself in the moment and survey my surroundings, but nothing at all would come of it. The only upside was my dreams were long and amazing, but I never felt a part of them like I so desperately wanted.

Right before I was going to quit trying to lucid dream, my subconscious decided to send me a message through a dream in the form of this sage guy I would see from time to time, telling me to take a break and gather more information, and well, that led me here.

Pilgrim

Re: Was I just Trying too Hard?

Postby Pilgrim » 04 Nov 2016 22:28

For me, it is easiest to enter lucid dream from the dreamscape of where sleeping. You might have already tried this as follows. When you wake for restroom, return to bed and teeter from eyes open to shut while visualizing the exact lines of the ceiling to wall and texture (a little light needed). Confuse your mind with the visual as to whether you are seeing it with your eyes or imagining it.

Stay relaxed and not try hard with this method, with the primary intent of going to sleep. In process, suspect that you might be dreaming of lying in bed with this process and try to float from bed. If you can begin to feel floating, you are in a dream. You can begin your dream from this location but fly or go elsewhere if your current location is too boring.

Ragnasedge

Postby Ragnasedge » 06 Nov 2016 16:39

Pilgrim wrote:For me, it is easiest to enter lucid dream from the dreamscape of where sleeping. You might have already tried this as follows. When you wake for restroom, return to bed and teeter from eyes open to shut while visualizing the exact lines of the ceiling to wall and texture (a little light needed). Confuse your mind with the visual as to whether you are seeing it with your eyes or imagining it.

Stay relaxed and not try hard with this method, with the primary intent of going to sleep. In process, suspect that you might be dreaming of lying in bed with this process and try to float from bed. If you can begin to feel floating, you are in a dream. You can begin your dream from this location but fly or go elsewhere if your current location is too boring.

That's a pretty good technique, but how would I mentally prepare myself for it? I'm pretty sure a lot of my problem stems from the fact that my subconscious is a nasty old bugger who doesn't want me to have the pleasure of being able to do lucid dreams at all.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Nov 2016 17:30

Here's a video which is mostly for advanced lucid dreamers but I believe the novice can learn a lot from it:

https://youtu.be/EmorFC3DEbw
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 12 Nov 2016 05:36

I do not have time to watch Summerlander's video. Maybe it will be helpful, though.

If something does not work, move on. Do not worry. You will likely eventually lucid dream, since that is your desire.

Return to “For Beginners”