How is Your Name Pronounced?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

How is Your Name Pronounced?

Postby Summerlander » 07 Nov 2016 19:11

I've been studying phonetic orthography and sometimes I play with it as a hobby. My name is Arlindo Batista. Here in the UK, my name is commonly pronounced as follows:

/ɑːˈlɪndəʊ bəˈtiːstə/

Can you communicate here how to pronounce your names? :D

And my soubriquet for lucid dreaming forums is uttered in the following way:

/ˈsʌməlandə/
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pilgrim

Re: How is Your Name Pronounced?

Postby Pilgrim » 08 Nov 2016 03:04

Summerlander, you do not like the "R" sound?

That is the way that the Northeastern area of the US speaks too. I was doing an audit in the Boston area long ago. The local mentioned something about "Walmart" and I had no clue what he was saying. It sounded like "wulmut"

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Nov 2016 21:48

Here in England the 'R's' are mostly rejected. If we say, 'Summerlander is here,' then the R is pronounced. If we say 'Summerlander doesn't do R's,' then the R is neglected. If the next word after 'Summerlander' begins with a vowel, the R is pronounced. If it starts with a consonant ... forget about it! :-D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 09 Nov 2016 19:19

sʌməlandə, where can i find the characters to write my name ?

seems like fun for a while :P
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Nov 2016 21:40

/deɪn/ ... :D

It's on Google. Type a word followed by 'definition'. It will give you the orthographic pronunciation too! ;)

- Padmasambhava

Dane

Postby Dane » 15 Nov 2016 20:49

Hmmm, it doesn't follow as i lead :P

Just to let you know, i'm working on it ;)
even thou i have less time then money :lol:
I returned from the abyss, as a married man. :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Nov 2016 02:02

ɑː juː ˈwɛlθi? bɪljəˈnɛː, pəˈhaps?

pəʊstˈmɒdəˌnɪz(ə)m ɪz ə rɪˈbɛljəs ˈmuːvm(ə)nt! ɪt ˈmʌɪt meɪk juː ˈdɛstɪtjuːt ...

:mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”