Can someone explain this :(

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rkenyon

Can someone explain this :(

Postby Rkenyon » 15 Nov 2016 01:15

Hey all,

I'm new here, Stumbled across the forum when searching for some answers to something that happened a little while ago, Still struggling to find out why it happened/what it was etc, I'll keep this concise and to the point, Note;- This scared the crap out of me.

I went to bed as i normally would, and what must have been several hours later i woke up but i was unable to move, like seriously couldn't do shit. So i kept struggling and managed to pull myself off my bed and onto the floor, Here is where it gets weirder, when i hit the floor, i blinked and was back in my bed again unable to move. I repeated the same process as above and the same thing happened again, I was in my bed again :O. I then managed to stand up after struggling and i started walking around my flat....but it was pitch black and for some odd reason my light switches werent working, then i heard 6 loud bangs and some calling "is that you ricky?" I then panicked and woke up in my bed again. Though this time it was for real, I sat straight up almost crying, I lived alone and was scared out of my mind.

Now i know about dreams etc but this felt as real as waking life, my walls and my light switches were where they should be i even felt the coldness of my walls and i remember thinking at the time "what the hell is going on?" but it was also dark and murky :s like something wasnt right. To this day i still tell friends about this event, It had a huge effect on my sleep thereafter. Would have been ok if it didnt feel so real, its hard to explain how real it felt.

Keeboard

Re: Can someone explain this :(

Postby Keeboard » 15 Nov 2016 03:53

Huh, sounds like a cross between sleep paralysis (common if u sleep on your back) and a few false awakenings. Light switches are also notorious not to work in dreams. If something similar happens again, remember that it's a dream so you can control it and do anything u want.
LD's: 30+
Current dream goal: Grow wings and fly

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Nov 2016 14:17

Been there done that. I need to remember how traumatizing those experiences can be to relate and help. I've gotten use to them by now, but will never forget what it's like for others to experience it for the first time and have nowhere to talk about it. It can really mess up your mind, and wonder what 'reality' is anymore and even think there are other dimensions with beings out to get us.

What you experienced was a blend of false awakening and sleep paralysis. It's all blended together sometimes when you're in the right phase of mind, and if you had kept walking in the dark, you may have wound up in a vivid dream. I know it has worked for me. If you are there again, just keeping moving and see what happens and explore it on your own. I sometimes get false awakenings where I fall out of bed and stand up and realize I am lucid in a dream, and it's as easy as that sometimes. Fear is only there because it's unknown at first, but after you get use to it, it's no big deal and it's great to use a forum like this to talk and allay our fears.

It certainly is unnerving, but the more it happens the more you grow accustomed to it. As for the loud noise and voice in your hear (combination of HEAD and EAR ;) ), I know how that can be. Look up "exploding head syndrome" for more info on that.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Nov 2016 16:08

Hi, RKenyon!

Like Hagart, I've also been there. There is a hybrid phase state of the mind, characterised by specific brain signatures in the Gamma frequency, which is responsible for the amalgamation between waking and dreaming. This phase state begets the altered states of consciousness that we macaronically refer to as lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis hallucinations, out-of-body experiences etc.

When it happens again, and you find yourself in that dark replica of your house, just remember that you are dreaming, explore and take control. You may summon light and make your dream surroundings clearer. You may heighten all your percepts and make the experience ultra-realistic.

Have fun! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Rkenyon

Postby Rkenyon » 15 Nov 2016 19:39

Thanks for the replies, It sure scared the hell out of me, Couldnt sleep for 2 nights after, If it happens again ill be sure to welcome it.

I've explained it to friends but its hard to make out how real it felt and that i was virtually totally aware of what was happening and started questioning why.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Nov 2016 22:26

I had some sleep paralysis nightmares back in 2012 and slept with a nightlight. I know how you feel. Keep at it, and conquer your fear. No words can tell you to do it, you must explore it on your own and just get better at it. I am always learning too.

Summerlander wrote:macaronically

My new word of the day. Thanks. I love learning new vocabulary from Summerlander.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Rkenyon

Postby Rkenyon » 16 Nov 2016 00:03

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick around here and keep it posted if it happens again.

@hagart - the noises i heard were wjat sounded like 6 gunshots. :/ I'll look up what gou spoke about.

@summerlander - Those are some big words ;p thanks for the explanation though, It helps to know why it happens.

Note. Before my experience, I had never heard of lucid dreaming and the like. Only sleep paralysis.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Nov 2016 16:56

My subconscious must have been thinking about macaroni! :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”