The Dreamer of the Dreams

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Price

The Dreamer of the Dreams

Postby Price » 16 Nov 2016 05:46

Hello,

I have been reading "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner and he suggested addressing not a dream figure but the dream itself. I want to tell you a dream. I am going to jump to the good part. I would love your insight.

Robert in his book says that one should try to address the dream itself and not focus on dream figures. I thought I would give it a try.

It is night and I am at a street party and I become lucid. I decide to fly up over the street. It is a cloudy night and the night sky is dynamic with big fluffy clouds highlighted by the moonlight. I address the darkness " I want to talk to the Dreamer of the Dreams" i say. A voice rings out, "I am the Dreamer of the Dream." I ask him what important thing do I need to know. The voice once again rings out "Contemplate Suchness".

I then ask the Dreamer of the Dreams "Why can I not experience God when I ask to in a dream?" The voice responds "Oh I don't like these petty gods that you speak of." I am caught of guard by this and miss a couple of words that is said and then I hear " The best way to kill a witch is with iron!" I decide to wake up and write what has happened down.

Here is some context, follow up, and questions for everyone.

Follow up: I Googled "Contemplate Suchness" and a lot came up about Zen Buddhism and "Suchness" as the 3 fold nature of reality. I was impressed with the dream insight.

Context: After trying to do what Robert said in the book, I realized that I don't like talking to a voice in the dream. Trying to remember what the voice says is really hard. It is easier to remember if there is a person and actions going along with it. Simply talking to a voice was hard to remember upon awakening.
Question: Do other people have experiences talking to a voice, or any tricks to try to remember what people say. Talking is hard for me to remember

Context: I consider myself a Witch. I was deeply taken back by the comment from my dream voice about not liking the petty gods and the best way to kill a witch. I am strangely affected by that comment and made me not want to interact with this Dreamer of the Dreams. I mean the voice came off as narrow minded and violent.
Question: Has anyone else had an experience where you were offended and hurt by how the dream played out. What does that mean? I strangely can't help but feel like I have a mean narrow minded subconscious. WTF!?!

Pederpan

Re: The Dreamer of the Dreams

Postby Pederpan » 25 Nov 2016 11:07

Price, are you still feeling put off by this Dreamer of the Dreams?
Surprising isn't it? To meet something which feels deep and then discover 'you' are not held in much regard.

How i see it is that whatever you met was (and still is) you, so no harm was intended.

Saying that gods are petty, and that the best way to kill a witch... in my ears refers to identities. Even a god, whatever tradition, has very much a character, values of good and bad and self interest.

So to identify with something is to limit oneself, to cut off the rest of you.

In that sense, to kill the witch could mean to drop that frame of vision in order to see what more you are.

Suchness could mean that. To look, not through the eyes of a witch, or any other character/identity, but just look.

I had i dream years ago that invited me to do just this.
I found myself in a bathtub immersed in the soft wooden floor of a room empty say for a completely silent friend who also lay in another bathtub behind and on my side. In front of me was a half circle of ceiling to floor windows giving on the ocean. (The same view i had from my house, but on the other side of the bay).
Then the door opposite the windows opened, showing a girl and dazzeling light beyond.
She was very friendly and i asked her if she would like to join me in my tub. She said, 'why don't you come play with me in the ocean'. I hesitated for a second, but not more, she was naked like me and beautiful. I stood up, walked over to her, lifted her up and stepped out of the door into the light.

How i interpret this is that the house represented my body and my situation, the silent friend how i saw myself, and i should leave this behind if i want to see what's more.

Two years later i met the beaitiful girl in real life and had the chance to enter the same light.
I turned back just as i was about to forget my name. I did not want to drop this particular 'me' character, i liked him, and did not want to risk loosing him forever.

alij8000

Postby alij8000 » 25 Nov 2016 17:50

wow...both the reply and the thread,...amazing,i have to try speaking to this dreamer of the dream.

Price

Postby Price » 29 Nov 2016 06:11

[quote="Pederpan"]Price, are you still feeling put off by this Dreamer of the Dreams?
Surprising isn't it? To meet something which feels deep and then discover 'you' are not held in much regard.

Yes. I spent the next couple of days seeing if I was treating myself well. Often I can be my harshest critic. I spent time "checking in" with myself and examining my "Angry White Man" as that is how the voice sounded to me.

I think that I met my Shadow Self, and darker aspects. I met the Dreamer of the Dreams again in other dreams (see in other posts), since then, and it was much more pleasant, so it is good to know that these experiences change.

Thanks for the thoughts, it was helpful

Pederpan

Postby Pederpan » 07 Dec 2016 11:36

Our own self might be the only critic that matters at all.

If someone tell you you suck, this is completely irrelevant unless it echos what you are already saying to yourself.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”