How long do your lucid dreams last on average?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
indigo_apple

How long do your lucid dreams last on average?

Postby indigo_apple » 18 Nov 2016 23:43

What's the length of your average lucid dream?

Also, what's the longest one you've EVER had?

Summerlander

Re: How long do your lucid dreams last on average?

Postby Summerlander » 19 Nov 2016 17:25

This should be hard to tell for everyone---or at least it is harder than what most people think. Discounting my intances of 'lucid-dream chaining' (a term popularised here by Hagart to refer to multiple lucid dreams via the method of re-entering the state as many times as one can in a single night), I would say that my average is 1-2 minutes.

If I get a lot done in 2 minutes whilst I'm lucid dreaming, I might think I've been in said state for an hour upon awakening. But once I assess roughly how long it took me to execute certain actions---which is usually a few seconds---I realise that what seemed like hours was only a few minutes. If you sit still and watch the clock for two minutes, you'll know what I mean; it can seem like an eternity and you can just imagine how many lucid dream acts you can fit in said time unit.

My longest lucid dreaming experience in a single night has probably been close to 10 minutes. It was an instance of lucid-dream chaining. I was over the moon, so to speak! :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

indigo_apple

Postby indigo_apple » 10 Dec 2016 10:19

Thank you Summerlander!!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Dec 2016 12:34

You're welcome! :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Dec 2016 05:22

I just picked a thread at random and my name was mentioned by coincidence.
I must say, I never knew the term, "Dream Chaining" until I read an article by Rebecca on the Home Page. I use to just call them "back to back lucid dreams" in my journal before I knew there was even a term for it.

I've heard others talk about 'time dilation' and it slows down in dreams, but I don't think so. You can get a heck of a lot done in a 5 minute lucid dream when you don't have to walk or wait in line for the next mental ride. My attention span is so hyper in lucid dreams, I can be in my house one second, and within a few seconds be off fighting zombies, and then talk to someone about the meaning of life, and try to have sex with someone. It happens so quickly that time is different. We are never bored in a lucid dream, so time flies, and yet if you try to record everything you did in a dream, it can take over an hour!

I do check my clock before I go back to sleep, and after I wake up, calculating that it takes about 15 minutes to sleep, and another 10-15 of hypnagogic nonsense that I never remember, and my longest was about 20 minutes. It's my best guess. In the middle of the night, I get some short lucid dreams, or even 'semi-lucid dreams' in which I kind of know it's not real, but don't take full control. But the full-blown lucid ones that usually happen after waking up and going back to sleep in the morning, usually last about 10-20 minutes, so I would say, 15 minutes average.

I don't get those all the time (about once a month), but when I do, that's my brain's attention span it seems. Like Summerlander said though, I can dream chain longer (remain still after a dream and just await for a new one to start and have a WILD from there), or get a multitude of false awakenings. For some reason, lucid dreams just fade to black in the end, and yet I can still keep it going and not ready to wake up yet. Not sure why.

But of course we all get those 5 second lucid dreams sometimes too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

ColdPenguin

Postby ColdPenguin » 12 Dec 2016 14:41

indigo_apple wrote:What's the length of your average lucid dream?

Also, what's the longest one you've EVER had?

I've only had two so far. My first one seemed to last around 10 minutes, though im not really sure. It wasn't completely lucid the whole time. But, I practiced walking through walls and then flew around and threw DBZ style ki blasts into a crowd of monsters. I was aware I was dreaming, but it slowly slipped away as i got entranced in blowing the critters up with energy blasts. Man that was fun.

My second one was two days ago. And it lasted approximately .03429 seconds....I was like, "wait. An i dreaming? Oh shit, I'm dreami--" BOOM! Wide awake... so disappointing. No idea what happened. I didn't even have time to react to the idea that i was dreaming, in any way. It was just immediate.

Price

Postby Price » 12 Dec 2016 21:24

Often when I do have a Wake and Back to Sleep Experience I realize that about only 20-30 minutes of time has passed.

Here is the one experience that I had that was amazing. I admit I got the idea from the movie Inception.

I woke up in the night and saw the clock. 12:12. I fell asleep and became lucid. I had been practicing stopping time in my lucid dream. I would say Time is an illusion and then I would look at a clock in the dream and would slow down the second hand to practically "Stop Time" I couldn't do it perfectly, but definitely slowed time down a lot.

I then walked around the dream for a long time, feeling like 10 minutes. Ok that got boring because no one was moving very fast. Ok so then I looked at the clock again and instead speed the whole dream up. Now everyone was moving super fast and only the clock was moving super slow. Because we were all speeding up equally, the dream continued to move forward normal speed, but time was moving super slowly. (does that make sense?)

The dream felt like it continued for a whole day. I remember walking around and talking to people, we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I remember sitting there and thinking Wow I can just stay in this dream forever. Anytime I felt like I was walking up, I would look at the clock and say "Time is an illusion" and slow down time (speed up my time) and the dream would continue on.

Eventually I did everything I could think of and then woke myself up.

I looked at the clock and only ten minutes passed 12:22, but the experience felt much longer.

Try it out!

One thing that i did experience was that the longer I am in a lucid dream, the harder it is to recall all details of the lucid dream, for example if I have a conversation with someone at the beginning of the lucid dream and have a couple of conversations with other people before I wake up, then my memory of my first conversation is vague. So after having spent what felt like a whole day in the dream, my memory recollection of the entire dream was more vague. I remember everything that i did, but my recollection in complete detail was more vague. Kind of like in the waking world, it is really hard to remember every second and activity of the day, but you can remember a lot of detail of certain parts of the day (the most important parts)

So now when I have lucid dream and I want to remember conversations or certain things I will intentionally wake myself up so I can write down the details. I can get about two activities out of a lucid dream before I need to wake up so I can write things down in details. I would say the felt experience of a lucid dream is now about 5-10 minutes.

Best

ColdPenguin

Postby ColdPenguin » 13 Dec 2016 02:25

Price. Holy shit. That is genius. Definitely going to try that out once my lucid dreams are more stable. That sounds so amazing. Being able to stay in a dream for a whole day, effectively. If you mastered that ability, you could, like, effectively double or triple your lifespan. Imagine the degree of wisdom you might obtain doing so. Fuck. Your own little private hyperbolic time chamber. That is fuckin priceless. :D I wonder if you could conjure a sort of library to access the subconscious mind..

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”