Reality Checking

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Beethoven

Reality Checking

Postby Beethoven » 25 Nov 2016 22:01

I suspect that a lot of people, including myself, are walking around their house etc. doing reality checks when it feels so convenient. You might be sat on the couch looking at your hands, or looking around to see if everything looks normal etc. You could do hundreds of reality checks in the comfort of your home, BUT you'll probably find that most of your dreams are somewhere else. Probably places that are so full of goings ons, reality checking would seem impossible. My dreams are usually full of action, and miles away from sitting in front of my computer doing simple and convenient reality checks. I actually realized this years ago but struggled to find the answer. I'm full of great ideas, I'm just not so great at putting them into practice!

So I've been wondering whether there is a way to make yourself dream of the same scenario making reality checks much more likely???

There must be a way of making me dream of being sat on the couch, on my own. Or walking around the house, feeling relaxed and having all the time in the world to study my surroundings etc.

As an example, if I wanted to dream of being outside I could record the traffic noise and play it during the night. If only there was some kinda sound that would make me realize that I'm in the house alone???

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you think of all this???

Summerlander

Re: Reality Checking

Postby Summerlander » 25 Nov 2016 22:42

Beethoven wrote:I suspect that a lot of people, including myself, are walking around their house etc. doing reality checks when it feels so convenient.

Yeah! When I'm sat in the toilet taking a dump ... :mrgreen:

Beethoven wrote:You might be sat on the couch looking at your hands, or looking around to see if everything looks normal etc. You could do hundreds of reality checks in the comfort of your home, BUT you'll probably find that most of your dreams are somewhere else.

My dreams have toilets everywhere I go! You name it---be it in Las Vegas, the moon, Mars or another universe---they are omnipresent! :D

Beethoven wrote:Probably places that are so full of goings ons, reality checking would seem impossible. My dreams are usually full of action, and miles away from sitting in front of my computer doing simple and convenient reality checks.

You make a good point. But I counter my RC's with W.C.'s. :lol:

So I've been wondering whether there is a way to make yourself dream of the same scenario making reality checks much more likely???

Yeah. You can start thinking more about those reality checks and try some away from your abode in different environments. Question your reality throughout the day, in fact, frequently check whenever you are conscious. Sooner or later, this pattern of behaviour will be carried onto your dreams and voila---you'll become lucid and you can start exploring.

Beethoven wrote:As an example, if I wanted to dream of being outside I could record the traffic noise and play it during the night. If only there was some kinda sound that would make me realize that I'm in the house alone???

You have to forget the house if your dreams keep taking you elsewhere, dude! Any environment should make you question reality. The problem to surmount is the question of why you always forget to do reality checks whilst dreaming. What is the content of your dreams that's so distracting? Where does your mind keep taking you and why?

You catch my drift? 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 26 Nov 2016 10:18

Thanks for your reply Summerlander.

Toilets - now there's a dream sign if ever I saw one!

I've been into lucid dreaming for about 18 years so I've learnt a fair bit about it. I kinda feel disappointed that I haven't progressed very much. When I started having ld's quite frequently several months after I first got into it, I was SO excited about the future thinking that I'd be having them all the time etc. Having a lot of personal problems over the years probably has a lot to do with it.

I don't go to too many places in my waking life, but do try to make the effort to do reality checks. The thing I've always found difficult was doing them without anybody noticing. I don't really wanna start jumping around at the doctor's etc. I do all the usual mental checks. "Where am I???, what am I doing???, do I know this place???..." It's easier said than done that they're gonna work.

So I'm always thinking of new ideas???

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Nov 2016 13:01

Stare at your index finger for about 15 seconds. If it becomes warped then you are dreaming. If people around you ask what you are doing you can always say you are into dermatology and like to check your skin from time to time. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 26 Nov 2016 14:08

Haha! Dermotology - I like that!

I have sat there in places full of people, and tried to craftily look and mess with my hands etc. It just feels so uncomfortable.

BUT... And here's the WORST thing! I know that all that effort is not gonna work!

You're probably aching to give me a lecture now about how it doesn't work cos I think it's not gonna work!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Nov 2016 18:54

It will work. No lecture. But you gotta believe. Have you looked into mnemonics?

'No plan like yours to study history well.'

This sentence can help you to recall the British Royal dynasties throughout history in chronological order:

Norman; Plantagenet; Lancastrian; York; Tudor; Stuart; Hanoverian; Windsor.

;)

- Padmasambhava

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 26 Nov 2016 22:58

Haha I thought this was a lucid dreaming site, not one for remembering quiz info!

My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets.

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 29 Nov 2016 17:40

I reality check a lot by pinching my nose shut and trying to breathe. If people look at me funny I couldn't give a shit. I've dyed my hair blue so people stare at me a lot anyway. Maybe dye your hair blue? :lol:

I realised the other day that I fail to rc in dreams because I'm always in the thick of it and too busy to stop and check, so I have been using an affirmation like, "Even I the thick of action I pause to rc". It has worked during waking life. I stop when I am doing something busy and rc. I am mostly distracted by people in my dreams so I am also doing an rc everytime I see someone.

Warped fingers crossed :D

Jennakas

Postby Jennakas » 29 Nov 2016 21:54

There's two reality checks that works for me 100%.. and they're fairly unnoticeable. One is the nose pinch as Sunflowerbader already told. That never fails on me, so just a quick pinch and a blow through nose is enough. Can always breathe through nose in a dream.. and never awake ofc :D
The second one is even more unnoticeable. Check the clock couple times in a row! Time always changes at second or third time when I check the clock in dreams. It's good to add in your routine "what's the time" and check it couple times in a row just to be sure. Then maybe that transforms in your dreams too!
Nights when dreamt in total: 29
Lucid dream nights: 9
Started October 18th, 2016.

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 29 Nov 2016 22:06

I really need to get a watch.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”