Can I use WBTB to increase my Dream Recall?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidReaper

Can I use WBTB to increase my Dream Recall?

Postby LucidReaper » 03 Dec 2016 05:18

Note: I apologize for the long article and I apologize for disobeying forum rules as I have not read them yet because I was eager to get this question off my mind.

Hello everyone, my name is LucidReaper just a little nickname I decide to choose for the World Of Lucid Dreaming forum. I know I should introduce myself in the "Introduce Yourself" section. But I'll decide to introduce myself on the "General Lucid Discussion" section and ask a question I've thinking for a while I'm at it. I recently found out about Lucid Dreaming in early May 2015 when I came across a site talking about "Astral Projection" while I was reading up about Astral Projection I saw an ad mentioning the term Lucid Dreaming, not knowing what it was I clicked on it and I was taken to the World Of Lucid Dreaming site where I read an article "How to have your first Lucid Dream" I was very surprised to read that it was possible to become aware in the dream state. So once I got all the information I got I started doing Reality Checks and keeping a dream journal, I was able to have my first lucid dream within a week. My first Lucid Dream took place in my kitchen which was the place I'd always do my reality checks when I was awake. The room was dark but bright enough to see, I did the finger and palm reality check and I saw my finger go right through my palm. I was aware as if actually alive in my lucid dream, I was not excited but was very calm I took a few steps and jumped and it felt like as if their were little gravity where I was because it took me a while to land back on the ground. Once I landed on the ground I woke up, I was very proud of myself to actually have my first Lucid Dream. A couple weeks later I had my second Lucid Dream but I got excited and woke up instantly then I had another Lucid Dream couple weeks later but I had the same outcome as my previous Lucid Dream. Then I stopped trying to Lucid Dream as life was more important. But I recently got back into lucid dreaming just a few weeks ago, but I can no longer remember my dreams anymore since I've read that this is one of the steps to having Lucid Dreams. I have eaten a lot of bananas and eating Vegemite toasts experimenting with both sliced cheese and blocked cheese, I smoke cigarettes but I have them more frequently then when I first found out about Lucid Dreaming. I do not want to try the "90 minute Dream Recall Technique" if I'm mentioning the name right. I did have a view of the dream I had this morning, but I completely forgot about it I was able to remember a key element from the dream but I did not write which I know I should have. I've even thought to myself "I will remember my dreams" but It takes me even longer to fall asleep and I just forget about thinking it entirely. I will say more but I will now ask the question that I've been thinking about for a while.

Question: I'm just wandering if I can use the Wake Back To Bed Method(WBTB) to increase my dream recall? though many have use this method for increasing their chances of lucidity. But I've thinking about this for a while now. Instead of thinking about having a lucid dream what if I think about remembering my dreams will I increase my chances of having of remembering my dreams? As I think that Dream Recall is the most important part of Lucid Dreaming.

CaptainDrak

Re: Can I use WBTB to increase my Dream Recall?

Postby CaptainDrak » 07 Dec 2016 04:32

A general rule of thumb for me was that the more I was waking up (at the right time, the wrong time destroyed my dream recall) the more dreams I was logging in my dream journal. When I was starting out, I used WBTB timings simply to enhance my dream recall. It worked wonders.

As I think that Dream Recall is the most important part of Lucid Dreaming.

I agree with this, which is why I think too many beginners focus on initiating their first lucid as opposed to increasing their dream recall. Hell, my self-meditation mantra even emphasizes this point: "I will have a lucid dream and I will remember my dreams." It doesn't matter how many lucids you have if you don't remember them.

So to answer your question, I think yes. I think learning WBTB timings and getting your body used to the process, while at the same time using this to increase your latent dream recall (don't underestimate the power of a journal!), is the correct mentality with which to approach things when starting out, as opposed to just diving in with the goal of having tons of lucids.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Dec 2016 05:53

Last I checked, long posts were not against the rules, and introduce yourself wherever. As long as you don't advertise, it's all good.

That was a good back story, and I know where you are coming from now. Life sometimes gets in the way of lucid dreaming, I know. It's a way of life to lucid dream in the first place, and no easy pill to take. It's a constant mindset you must have to realize that every dream you have is worth remembering no matter what, and our brain is a muscle, so the more you flex it and remember the more you have dream recall. Just like any sport, or playing an instrument, I'm sure brain plasticity works the same way for us remembering dreams.

And yes, WBTB method makes dreams a lot more vivid and memorable. I don't always try to have a lucid dream, it's just icing on the cake. But I almost always wake up after about 5 hours, get a glass of water, take a piss, feed my cat or whatever, and go back to bed and sleep. It's the perfect time for me, and comes naturally, but for everyone it's different. The first 5 hours is a deeper sleep, and the next 3 hours is REM, or dream sleep. Having that respite to wake up your mind absolutely makes your dreams more vivid and memorable.

And don't worry if you are lucid or not, that just comes with the territory after enjoying and remembering so many vivid dreams. It just comes naturally after practice, and all the techniques are not needed to memorize anymore. You will notice dream signs and make up your own reality checks along the way.

In conclusion, yes, taking a break in confusion of your dreams at night to gather your senses and go back to sleep absolutely helps with recall, and just makes dreams all the more vivid, lucid or not.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Dec 2016 05:56

CaptainDrak wrote:I agree with this, which is why I think too many beginners focus on initiating their first lucid as opposed to increasing their dream recall.

I notice this too. Many young people today hear about it online and think there's an app for it and buy gadgets, or sleep apps to record their sleep on an Iphone, or even magic pills or sleep aids. It doesn't work that way, at least not long term to develop the skill. Lucid dreaming is like a martial art, not a crash course you can learn from a text book. You need to develop a foundation first, and get to know your dreams inside and out. It's not work; It's fun! But it does take time.

But who cares how long if you find it fun, right?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”