The elements of the dreamscape we all share

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Wocky

The elements of the dreamscape we all share

Postby Wocky » 11 Dec 2016 13:02

Hello!

I've been reading WOLD articles for a longer time, but this is my very first post on the forum. It's nice to be here :)
I am a student of Religion studies and the reason why I decided to write here is the topic of my end-of-term paper. In this work, I'm trying to gather similarities of shamanic visions and dreams all across the world - and then compare those visions to dreams and hallucinations of the members of a modern "western" culture. It might be lucid dreams, OBE, some visions caused by hallucinogenic drugs or sensory deprivation - everything used to broaden one's mind.

Now, I know that it's hard to talk about elements of the dreamscape that every oneironaut has in common - one will use their dreams to gain knowledge about their inner self and the other one will choose to date Johnny Depp ;) It's all understandable, but I still need to ask: when you just let yourself wander through the dreamworld without changing much, do you encounter certain elements that are the same or almost the same for everyone? Some recurring scheme, an element of the dreamscape, characters with similar functions? Actions you need to perform? Anything will be of use :)

I will be extremely grateful if you decide to share your thoughts and experiences :)

Philoni

Re: The elements of the dreamscape we all share

Postby Philoni » 14 Dec 2016 01:56

This is an interesting questions you made here and could possibly be a clue question to dreaming with other people or dreaming in another dream server (you get my point)
Don't stop to watch the clock, do what it does; Keep moving

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Dec 2016 05:00

What you are describing is the mental blue print upon which we are all based. Carl Jung explored this too.

I'm interested in mind altering drugs and the human mind as well. I just lucid dream, don't do them, but I don't think anyone can call themselves human if they are not curious what it's like to be human in the first place.

I have been interested in the effects as well and realize that deep down, built into our psychology is the idea of a mother. It makes sense since we were programmed that way from birth. That is the person we instinctively are driven to. But the idea of "motherhood" is cultural, but based on the same analogical idea that we all share. Just like the idea of "Hell". It's an idea deep ingrained in our psyche from birth. I have heard some say they see the Virgin Mary! But ask another culture and they see something different. The main link is a mother figure. And "God" is a father figure. Demons are all male for some reason. Why is that? I guess some are succubi, but I won't even entertain the idea. Great material for comedy though.

But it's very interesting for me to study and learn about other cultures and understand my fellow humans. I have noticed that those in small groups tend to use religion to explain the weather mostly, while larger groups use religion to control the masses like a law, and proclaim law and order, developing the concept of morals in us hairless apes.

I could go on, but long story short, we are all idiots, running around in this fruitless world, banking on hopes and dreams from within and without, and are all cut from the same, blue, cloth. The blue print of our psyche.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 17 Dec 2016 18:21

Yes HAGART:[b[color=#0000FF]]I could go on, but long story short, we are all idiots, running around in this fruitless world, banking on hopes and dreams from within and without, and are all cut from the same, blue, cloth. The blue print of our psyche.

I enjoy dreaming to the fullest and saying we are all idiots is a bit harsh. For me we have in us a part of the universe which after our bodies dead keeps going, but where to? that I am Hoping to understand better in asking questions also during dreaming. :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Dec 2016 04:04

I'll speak for myself. I think I'm just a smart ape at best. :)

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 18 Dec 2016 20:15

HAGART you are to smart. So don't downgrade yourself. 1956 I found a teaching (The Fourth Way) Part of the teaching ask you not to believe in any thing if you cant prove it. I have come to study and recalling my dreaming late in my life, and it is enriching my life. I do have over the last years enjoyed my dreaming. OBE and lucid dreaming only a few, but vivid and good recall plenty. I cant prove there is an afterlife, but I sway on the plus side. I don't mind to carry on. It up to you and who ever. :)

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 31 Dec 2016 16:47

Greetings and A great New Year for all of us.
I came across a saying I would like to share: "Things will happen outside my control. That is a natural part of life. How I react that is my choice." At this stage of my life I do my best not to be negative. Like starting each day Saying: "I greet this day, and every day with love and joy in my heart." It does reflect in my dreams, as most of my daily dreams are positive. Lots of chatting and singing eating, and drinking. Good walks and Flying. Caring for humans and animals. Metting friends which have passed away, also liking the attention I get from old and new flames. Just about all my dreams are not lucid. I don't mind as I said: My dreams are positive. My Lucid dreams are short and mainly in the morning, and I never really get going. I think it is my fault as I don't put enough effort in my attempts to get lucid.
Love and Joy :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Dec 2016 22:12

Thanks for the inspiring words.

Thinking positively or negatively influences our dreams and our well being, so why not choose positive?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jan 2017 09:12

when you just let yourself wander through the dreamworld without changing much, do you encounter certain elements that are the same or almost the same for everyone? Some recurring scheme, an element of the dreamscape, characters with similar functions? Actions you need to perform?

I believe things are different for everyone and what is appearing regularly in someones dreams now may not been necessarily appearing months ago for that same person. Some dream symbols thou are quite common but different peoples subconsciousness may use different things to represent the same thing.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 01 Jan 2017 17:12

Thinking positively or negatively influences our dreams and our well being, so why not choose positive?
Yes HAGART that is what I am wishing dreamers will understand, as we seem to have to many negative people, and if you observe you also my find to much negativity around you. For myself getting out of bed laughing, and I do that every morning, makes a good positive start. :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”