The Secret in the Glass Pear: Finally Achieving My Lucid Goal

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
livingandlucid

The Secret in the Glass Pear: Finally Achieving My Lucid Goal

Postby livingandlucid » 12 Dec 2016 22:42

The Secret In the Glass Pear

Though I have had many lucid dreams that mean a great deal to me, the paint on my most recent dream is still wet and I’d like to share it with you. Before I start, I should mention that I have certain goals in my lucid dreams. For now, they are to carry out constant experiments on things such as the weight and durability of objects, character personalities and reading written words in the dreamscape. I’m not quite at the stage where philosophical epiphanies and subconscious understanding are in my reach, but I wont rule them out for the future. For now, I want to be observant, having fun and oh so lucid.

My greatest goal at the moment is not to fly as a lot strive to do, or meet any person in particular. I want to wake up in a dreamscape, sneak under the veil of its border, and dive into a pool of suspended stars and galaxies. This is always on my mind. I’m a big astronomy fan and nothing gets me off quite like it. But it’s not easy getting yourself suspended in the stars. You wouldn’t believe how solid the walls and grounds are in some of my dreams. Finding a gap, or a door that will take you to deep space is no mean feat. The doors and gaps do often lead to other unexpected and fascinating places, intriguing and surprising yes, but not quite where I desire most. Until the day I found the glass pear that is.
I was at the edge of a dried up sandstone river bed. In front of me was a rickety rope bridge made of shoddy wooden panels and dodgy looking ropes. To my right, a dark skinned and elderly Native American woman is standing patiently and looking at me. She urged me to cross the bridge with a slight hand gesture. I then got a sudden feeling of De ja vu (as I often get in real life). It caused me to question what I was doing and then, bam, I was lucid, vividly aware and wide eyed.

I remained calm but engaged as I have learned to do, and let the dreamscape feel comfortable around me. I wanted to cross the bridge, mainly because it looked like a challenge, and I had a feeling what ever was on the other side was worth the effort. I turned to the woman who stood by the wooden post at the entrance of the bridge. I had made up my mind to cross the bridge and find out what was on the other side. I knew I was moving on, but I felt a little sadness in leaving this character behind without finding out more about her. I gave her a light hug and kissed her on the right cheek, a gesture that I appreciated her presence in my dream, but I had to go.

I began walking across the bridge, it was very unstable, weaving from side to side. The ropes felt more like elastic bands. At the centre point of the bridge I felt as if It would flip upside down and I would fall off. I decided to try and jump over the hand-rope to the cliff edge at the other end of the gorge, it would take a huge leap. I focused my intent on being weightless and making the 20-foot gap effortlessly like an astronaut. As I glided towards it I felt as If I would make it, and I was rather chuffed with myself. At the last second I felt a jerk backwards and my fingers fell short of the rock.

My leg had become snared in the rope of the bridge and I swung back beneath it. My momentum carried me in an arc throwing me high in the air on the other side. To be honest I was enjoying this, I still felt lucid and comfortable, only not exactly in control. As a swung downwards again, I could see stones lying on the floor of the riverbed. Like a trapeze artist I stretched my arm out to snag a rock while passing. I figured at this point, I’m dangling from a bridge, I might as well inspect some dream objects up close while the going is good. I snagged a stone from the river bed while keeping my eyes on the direction I was swinging. I felt a solid, cold object in my palm.

Dangling, I brought my hand to my face to inspect the stone. It wasn’t a stone. It was a dazzling, crystal clear glass pear. Yes, a pear. Inside it there were flakes of gold flickering in the light. The intensity of its beauty reduced the spectrum of my focus to this one shimmering object, just inches from my eyes. I was overcome and suddenly deeply, deeply humbled. I contemplated how something so beautiful could existed here with no artist behind it’s craft. I marvelled at it’s sparkling surface and the flickering specks within it for several moments as my eyes began to well with tears. I then felt a familiar feeling. I had focused too hard on one thing and the dream was destabilizing. I was going to wake up. The pear in my hand began to shrink, first to the size of a strawberry, then an acorn. I so desperately wanted to stare at this pear some more, to be lucid with it. The pear was about to disappear in my hand.

Don’t ask me why…But I felt the only way to savour the moment a little more, was to pop the pear into my mouth. So I did. I closed my eyes and felt it on my tongue. It had no taste, kind of like glass I suppose, and it was strangely calming. It did however have the weirdest effect on me. I began to float skywards, like a helium balloon. With shut eyes I let myself relax and become more comfortable drifting higher, remaining aware and once more, quite entertained. No longer attached to the bridge, I felt as if I was about to hit some kind of “roof” in my dream. It was then I thought to myself…wait a second? I think I know where it’s taking me. The golden ticket!… or in this case, pear. I somehow knew, with a distinct confidence, I was going to the stars. I laughed to myself at the fact that I didn’t even have to find a crack, or a silly door to get there. An excitement crept into me. In moments I would be there.

I then felt as if I bumped into an actual roof, and for a moment I sat pressed against it like a balloon on the ceiling. Eyes still closed. My body then began to gently push through the layer as if it slowly dissolved. I was lifted, kind of like a baby through it. I felt some interesting sensations as my legs and waist rose first, then my chest. The weight of my head was last to break free from the pull of the surface below. My entire body felt weightless. Suspended and serene. I couldn’t tell which way was up or down, but I knew I had made it. All I had to do was open my eyes and I’d be immersed in the canvas of a billion stars.

My heartbeat quickened, I didn’t want to rush it it. I began to open my eyes as slow as possible. I saw through a dark haze, glimmering points of light. I wondered if maybe I should open my eyes sooner rather than later…. or would that ruin everything? The thought of loosing this moment caused my heart to race and an unwelcome feeling cropped up once more, the dream was destabilizing again. I then felt a heavy weight poring into my head, my neck, down my chest to my legs and feet. Like liquid gravity.

I kept my eyes closed and focused on the sensations in my body, partly because I hoped I might keep me in the dream, and partly because I had never felt the sensation of being gently lowered from the sky before. I didn’t really know what to make of it to be honest, but it felt good, and I felt safe. I dropped slowly until I felt a soft surface meet my body, part by part until I was rested flat. My consciousness then became starkly different from just moments ago as I became aware of my toes. Though I remained motionless and shut eyed, I knew next time I opened my eyes I’d see the orange paint on my bedroom wall. Surely enough, there it was.

Between my somewhat childish desire to experience something unforgettably cinematic and the scattered moments of humbling grace, I find myself utterly grateful. What I found most interesting was the psychological barrier I would reach every time I became too enthralled with something. The dream only seemed to cut me some slack when I was relaxed, and not concentrating too hard or trying to change things. That simple interaction alone, without delving too deep into heavy concepts like dualism and the subconscious unknown, is worth pondering on, at least for me it is. I mean how fascinating. I don’t think I broke new ground, I didn’t intend to, but I experienced something physically and emotionally new, drastically new and oddly meaningful.

Abstract as lucid dreaming is to the majority of people, for me in my subjective understanding, I think it’s possible that there is a space within dreams for a new type of learning and a form of growth that is hard to grasp in waking life. Discovering some of that potential seems worth investing just a little more of my intent and sleep in. I truly look foreword to hosting that lucid clarity once again. In a new adventure, a new place, and maybe someday, in waking life too.

One more thing, if you dream a glass pear…just eat it.

-By me.

Iv'e been lucid dreaming for 8 years and discovered some wonderful things. This is the first lucid dream I have shared with people beyond my close friends and family. I'll be posting weekly on my new bog. If you want to see more check out:

www.livingandlucid.wordpress.com

I like to get a little philosophical here and there and would love to hear your thoughts on the awesome phenomenon.
So I have quick brain tickling question for you guys.
Do you think the pear was something I saw at some point in waking life?
Do you think it was a combination of memories but assembled in a unique way by my subconscious?
Or do you think it was something totally new and separate to lived memory?

Summerlander

Re: The Secret in the Glass Pear: Finally Achieving My Lucid Goal

Postby Summerlander » 12 Dec 2016 23:38

livingandlucid wrote:I should mention that I have certain goals in my lucid dreams.

I think everybody should. It's important to have goals in your lucid dreaming practice. It promotes progress and acquaintance with an altered state of mind.

livingandlucid wrote:I’m not quite at the stage where philosophical epiphanies and subconscious understanding are in my reach,

To be honest, I've found that the former happened when I least expected, and the latter is merely about deriving meaning from an equivocal source. I believe dream content---which is largely governed by the subconscious mind---has more to do with mental schemas and 'discarded' associations from previously retained information than anything else.

livingandlucid wrote:My greatest goal at the moment is not to fly as a lot strive to do, or meet any person in particular. I want to wake up in a dreamscape, sneak under the veil of its border, and dive into a pool of suspended stars and galaxies. This is always on my mind. I’m a big astronomy fan and nothing gets me off quite like it. But it’s not easy getting yourself suspended in the stars. You wouldn’t believe how solid the walls and grounds are in some of my dreams.

You're giving me ideas! :mrgreen:

Indeed! Why fly to reach the stars in lucid dreams when the dream world is not like the real world? The same wit and logic that undergirds your stupendous idea can be applied to break the illusion of solidity of dream walls and grounds.

livingandlucid wrote:Finding a gap, or a door that will take you to deep space is no mean feat. The doors and gaps do often lead to other unexpected and fascinating places, intriguing and surprising yes, but not quite where I desire most.

The key is not desire or wishing. These are not the most effective tools. What you want is expectation and belief. Before you open the door, know that you are already standing a few feet away from the intended location.

livingandlucid wrote:Until the day I found the glass pear that is.
I was at the edge of a dried up sandstone river bed. In front of me was a rickety rope bridge made of shoddy wooden panels and dodgy looking ropes. To my right, a dark skinned and elderly Native American woman is standing patiently and looking at me. She urged me to cross the bridge with a slight hand gesture. I then got a sudden feeling of De ja vu (as I often get in real life). It caused me to question what I was doing and then, bam, I was lucid, vividly aware and wide eyed.

Love it. Fascinating. A déjà vu-induced lucid dream! And the dream elements here intrigue me.

I gave her a light hug and kissed her on the right cheek, a gesture that I appreciated her presence in my dream,

Anything else? :mrgreen:

Dangling, I brought my hand to my face to inspect the stone. It wasn’t a stone. It was a dazzling, crystal clear glass pear. Yes, a pear. Inside it there were flakes of gold flickering in the light. The intensity of its beauty reduced the spectrum of my focus to this one shimmering object, just inches from my eyes. I was overcome and suddenly deeply, deeply humbled. I contemplated how something so beautiful could existed here with no artist behind it’s craft. I marvelled at it’s sparkling surface and the flickering specks within it for several moments as my eyes began to well with tears. I then felt a familiar feeling.

Sublime dream objects. I've had them and the familiar feeling you experienced too. You were the artist behind it ... unwittingly.

Don’t ask me why…But I felt the only way to savour the moment a little more, was to pop the pear into my mouth. So I did. I closed my eyes and felt it on my tongue. It had no taste, kind of like glass I suppose, and it was strangely calming. It did however have the weirdest effect on me. I began to float skywards, like a helium balloon. With shut eyes I let myself relax and become more comfortable drifting higher, remaining aware and once more, quite entertained. No longer attached to the bridge, I felt as if I was about to hit some kind of “roof” in my dream. It was then I thought to myself…wait a second? I think I know where it’s taking me. The golden ticket!… or in this case, pear. I somehow knew, with a distinct confidence, I was going to the stars. I laughed to myself at the fact that I didn’t even have to find a crack, or a silly door to get there. An excitement crept into me. In moments I would be there.

Amazing! The pear symbolised the realisation of your lucid dream desire. Your mind showed you that there are other ways to reach the stars! Brilliant! :D

I then felt as if I bumped into an actual roof, and for a moment I sat pressed against it like a balloon on the ceiling. Eyes still closed. My body then began to gently push through the layer as if it slowly dissolved. I was lifted, kind of like a baby through it. I felt some interesting sensations as my legs and waist rose first, then my chest. The weight of my head was last to break free from the pull of the surface below. My entire body felt weightless. Suspended and serene. I couldn’t tell which way was up or down, but I knew I had made it. All I had to do was open my eyes and I’d be immersed in the canvas of a billion stars.

Cosmic and sublime.

My heartbeat quickened, I didn’t want to rush it it.

I wouldn't have rushed it with the lady by the bridge. :mrgreen:

The dream only seemed to cut me some slack when I was relaxed, and not concentrating too hard or trying to change things. That simple interaction alone, without delving too deep into heavy concepts like dualism and the subconscious unknown, is worth pondering on, at least for me it is.

I agree. I think Rebecca Turner would too. You've got the right idea.

I mean how fascinating. I don’t think I broke new ground, I didn’t intend to, but I experienced something physically and emotionally new, drastically new and oddly meaningful.

It's better than drugs, right?

Abstract as lucid dreaming is to the majority of people, for me in my subjective understanding, I think it’s possible that there is a space within dreams for a new type of learning and a form of growth that is hard to grasp in waking life.

You hit the nail on the head. You're more in touch with mental abstractionism. It can lead to creativity and ways to think 'outside the box' so to speak.

Discovering some of that potential seems worth investing just a little more of my intent and sleep in. I truly look foreword to hosting that lucid clarity once again. In a new adventure, a new place, and maybe someday, in waking life too.

One more thing, if you dream a glass pear…just eat it.

-By me.

Thanks for sharing and do post more! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Philoni

Re: The Secret in the Glass Pear: Finally Achieving My Lucid Goal

Postby Philoni » 13 Dec 2016 02:58

I found your dream very enjoyable and inspired me to lucid dream tonight. What method/s do you use to lucid dream?
Don't stop to watch the clock, do what it does; Keep moving

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”