CAN I TURN LIGHTS ON FOR WBTB

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Physicsman

CAN I TURN LIGHTS ON FOR WBTB

Postby Physicsman » 17 Dec 2016 16:23

Hello, I am relatively new to lucid dreaming (around 2-3 weeks), and I have started a dream journal, meditate, and every once in a while do a WBTB. I have not been successful. Once in the past I got so bored during a WBTB, I had to keep looking at the clock to keep myself from just going to bed, waking up, and doing something. One thing I have heard to do is to read your dream journal, but it is way too dark to do that. Would turning the lights on to read my journal ruin my WBTB? I know you produce less melatonin when you look at screens right before bed, but what about a WBTB? I would really, really appreciate any answers, because lucid dreaming is a goal I will not give up on, and want to achieve. Any other tips would be appreciated, but mainly the main question.

Summerlander

Re: CAN I TURN LIGHTS ON FOR WBTB

Postby Summerlander » 17 Dec 2016 18:06

I've had the light on for WBTB before. It still worked. But that's me and my brain. Perhaps I have a vast melatonin reservoir. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Physicsman

Postby Physicsman » 17 Dec 2016 21:32

Are you an experienced lucid dreamer though? Because if you are already good at meditating and preforming Wild's, then maybe the lights don't have an affect on you.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Dec 2016 23:51

I've been lucid dreaming for nearly ten years now (discounting the ones I had in my childhood). I used to regard techniques seriously. But now they occur naturally went I want them to. If I wish to lucid dream, it happens on average after two days. It's like subconscious program. Lucid dreams on demand. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Lucid_Emo

Postby Lucid_Emo » 18 Dec 2016 19:40

I'm not sure why not. The goal for WBTB is to be awake and conscious while you're normally in REM sleep so I'd think lights would help. I did a WBTB with the lights on and it didn't work but I think that's because I wasn't in REM sleep because my sleeping schedule is different.
Lucid Dreams So Far: 5

Current Goal: Trying to get back on my old habits, start recording my dreams again, rekindle my self awareness, and have another productive lucid dream.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jan 2017 10:37

Turning light on shouldnt hurt. Its a good idea to read a book on LD or work on dream journal while in the wake stage of a WBTB as it helps program your intent. (though for some the kind of light computers gives off can hinder going back to sleep).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”