Hello everyone

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Blankfoote

Hello everyone

Postby Blankfoote » 19 Dec 2016 11:10

Hello, my name is blankfoote and I've been on and off trying to accomplish the skill to lucid dream. I've always been fascinated with the dreaming world and would like to dive as deep as I can. After about a year and a half of on and off attempts, I've decided that if I want it, I need to commit. The reason why I've become more serious lately is due to things in my life I'd like to try to resolve and I figured through a subconscious state of mind I may be able to achieve such a solution. So I've joined because I have chosen to no longer attempt alone.

Summerlander

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Summerlander » 19 Dec 2016 20:28

Welcome. Lucid dreaming can potentially provide practice for waking life and make you more creative. What sort of things in waking life would you like to resolve, if you don't mind me asking? :)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Blankfoote

Postby Blankfoote » 19 Dec 2016 21:07

I have issues with believing myself and confidence. Thank you, for taking an interest. A lot of mind things that I'd rather diminish. My plan is to lucid dream, become familiar with the skill and practice as much as I can and then once I feel comfortable enough I want to converse with my subconscious and try to perhaps figure out a way we can resolve some of the issues I feel may help my everyday life. I strongly believe in offering solutions along with my complaints to allow respect to whom I'm talking to so I am hoping my subconscious will be understanding. To be honest though, I am slightly anxious about meeting my subcoscious and trying to lucid dream. Mainly because I know I'm my harshest critic and I'm quite hard on myself so I fear my subconscious will be as such, and I also have heard horror stories about sleep paralysis occurring while trying to do such a skill and I prefer to save that experience for when I'm ready. Any advise or conversation on the matter would be much appreciated.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2016 02:30

I have that, too. But I found that through lucid dreaming and subconscious interactions, my mind produced a 'mirror' and then nonobjectively inspired possibilities---'outside the box' conceptions, as it were---where the self-deprecating 'voice' we all hear to different degrees was exposed to be just another mental construct or a thought pattern that can be broken; and it should be broken (or not chased) because it's not practical. (If what you want is to survive and adapt to the real world.)

Lucid dreaming taught me that we are all just awareness wearing physical 'gloves' or imperfect avatars (our bodies and self-image). Please don't misconstrue this to mean that I subscribe to Spiritualism, mentalism or some New Age tosh. I don't. My convictions lie with the physicalist world view. To me, poorly understood cerebral configurations beget consciousness.

But because, intrinsically, we are awareness, or the knowing of this and that (mental content as a byproduct of physical matter), it is safe to metaphorically say that we 'wear the avatars' (even if these are the origins of awareness) and how we deal with the world through them is all that matters---and all we can do! Lucid dreaming inspired me to be a pragmatist.

It is true that the world's events elicit emotional responses from us, but we can actually manipulate mental content to alter how we'd normally feel about something. Take the fact that lucid dreams can be bright, colourful and visually intricate in such a mesmerising way that we can wake from them feeling euphoric. This already tells you something about the human mind ...

In the waking state, you can also alter how you remember something to the point where you feel different about a past occurrence. An unpleasant memory can be made pleasant by making its elements appear comical; by imagining cheerful music play as you relive the situation; and having everything appear bright and colourful.

You may also reduce unpleasant memories to meaningless black and white fuzzy films where you observe your younger 'victimised' self from a third party perspective. The picture can also be reduced to a tiny screen. See how this manipulation of mental imagery can already alter your mood. Already, in this scenario, you are the wiser older self who can subsequently fill his shoes, brighten the world, and do things differently.

You have the potential to imagine yourself as an improved individual, full of charisma and confidence, even if you don't have the best physique or physiognomy. You can be the winner by making the best of your situation---but primarily making you feel better about yourself. I'm not talking about oneirism here; I'm talking about mindful visualisation. I'm encouraging presence of mind, introspection ... meditation even!

Positive and productive interactions with the subconscious via lucid dreaming isn't always about a seemingly wise speech or piece of advice given to you by a dream character. It can come in the form the dream 'fabric' takes; how the illusion speaks to you; or evocative epiphanies.

What you may get from this lucid dream goal of yours may not be what you expect, otherwise you'd have the answers already. Lucid dreams may surprise you. They may even get you to face your fears---but these aren't likely to hurt or traumatise you as lucidity is an upper hand precisely because it means that you're aware of the illusory nature of what is perceived. And when you do the opposite of running or attacking out of anger, when you transition from being inimical to being understanding and friendly with these mental manifestations, that's when newfound insights and a glimpse of enlightenment are likely to occur.

This is a small step breaking the pattern of mental behaviour and moving away from the unproductive default setting of your working brain. Watch how the monsters turn into cherubs, so to speak, as you experience self-integration. Test it. At worst, you'll be in sleep paralysis experiencing irrational fears of hallucinations whilst simultaneously acknowledging that such things don't exist. But, even so, your mind will make you question why certain conceptions seem so troubling.

Here's a somewhat pertinent video where Stephen LaBerge explains about lucid nightmares:

https://youtu.be/Y43JSPivpKo
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Blankfoote

Postby Blankfoote » 20 Dec 2016 02:51

Wow, that was extremely generous of you to explain all that to me. Thank you very much for that. You've really helped me look at it all a bit differently. That video was very interesting. So, experiencing such a traumatic experience might be good for me, healthy even, in a sense, so I can learn to overcome it? Talking about it makes me excited to experience as much as I can.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2016 12:25

There is some truth found in the old adage: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. ;)

- Padmasambhava

Blankfoote

Postby Blankfoote » 20 Dec 2016 18:00

Summerlander wrote:There is some truth found in the old adage: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. ;)

Awesome, thanks again

Return to “Introduce Yourself”