Nothing happened

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Blankfoote

Nothing happened

Postby Blankfoote » 19 Dec 2016 21:35

Maybe I attempted too early, whether with my training or in the night, but I was trying a technique that was supposed to help or almost guarentee a lucid dream. I understand that lucid dreaming isn't always a certain thing, even for experienced dreamers, but I was tired and knew I needed to go to sleep. So I lied down and stayed completely still while in my head I kept my self conscious. I repeated to myself that I was going to lucid dream tonight and allowed my body to do whatever it needed.
I noticed, after what felt like ten minutes in, my entire body was numb. I could no longer feel my limbs and the only senses was my hearing that I could remember. My AC was on and I could hear it but i wasn't focusing on it, I focused on repeating my phrase and a little bit of my breathing to try and relax and calm myself down, because for a beginner like me, it's quite exciting when you convince yourself that you're going to lucid dream. I did my best to contain that and stay conscious and I'm supposed to end, not knowing I had entered the dream world and to do a reality check. I can't say specifically how long I was like that but after what felt like a long time, perhaps twenty minutes in, I decided to do a reality check. My reality check told me that I was still awake, not dreaming. I grew frustrated to say the least.
Did I do something wrong? Am I just not ready? Is it possible that I'm not able to possess this skill? I know I'm still technically a beginner but I feel like others have progressed and excelled before I could even realize I'm ever in a dream.
Thank you, and I much appreciate any advice anyone may give me.
P.S. if I'm doing something wrong or just being impatient or something, there is absolutely no need to sugar coat anything, I can take the truth.

konchusnz

Re: Nothing happened

Postby konchusnz » 21 Dec 2016 09:28

I think your technique is fine with repeating a certain phrase but yeah you just need to be patient, you will get it but you have to wait. I think reality checks are unneccesary, once you become lucid in a dream youll know for sure. Other things i do to enduce lucid dreams is just try to think about it alot, sounds strange but if you have a lucid dreaming book, carry it with you and read a few pages every chance you get, write your phrase or even the word Lucid on your hand or somewhere you will see it alot, the more you think about it during the day will increase your chances massively!
Good luck and just be patient it will happen and it will be the greatest feeling ever!

Blankfoote

Postby Blankfoote » 21 Dec 2016 09:33

Awesome, thank you. I'll try that. You have any good lucid dreaming books that you can recommend?

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 21 Dec 2016 11:15

The definitive book on lucid dreaming is "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Exploring-World-Dreams-Stephen-LaBerge/034537410X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482315086&sr=1-1&keywords=exploring+the+world+of+lucid+dreaming

There are other good books, but this is one every lucid dreaming has to read.

Blankfoote

Postby Blankfoote » 21 Dec 2016 11:17

Great, Thank you

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 21 Dec 2016 12:56

You're welcome. You'll find that a lot of advice people give is from this book. It's quite annoying sometimes!
I've been into lucid dreaming for about 18 years and have had lots of experiences, but it seems like nothing compared to the amount of time I've spent trying. Laziness along with a very messed up mind have probably got a lot to do with it!

Good look on your travels!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jan 2017 05:36

You seem very impatient, did you learn to walk overnight or usually master a new skill just from trying a couple of times?

I give it an hour to get out. I also dont expect it to happen first night I try, when I decide I want to get back into LDing, sometimes it takes weeks.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ldreamer99

Postby ldreamer99 » 02 Jan 2017 19:26

I know many sources advice u to repeat a phrase or sth like that but it has never worked for me. It just keeps me awake for hours .
Try imagining a dream scene instead.
Whatever u do it should not take effort as it will keep u awake.
Just my opinion but everyone's different .

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”