Panicking when lucid!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
danielab318

Panicking when lucid!

Postby danielab318 » 21 Dec 2016 20:00

Hi everyone. I'm posting here because yesterday I had my first lucid dream! However it didn't last very long due to the fact that as soon as I realized I was in a dream, my heart started racing and I woke myself up in an attempt to make it stop because I felt so afraid. I fell asleep again shortly after and I became lucid again, only to be woken up immediately by a panic attack. I have had a history of a panic disorder but I've gotten much better and this is actually the first time I've had one in a long time. I'm kinda bummed because this morning I attempted to fall asleep after being awake for an hour (as I hear this is the best time to become lucid) but all I accomplished was a self-induced panic attack. I think this anxiety comes from the fact that I'm fearful of feeling out of control and as much fascination as I have towards lucid dreaming, I find the experience itself a little bit terrifying at first.

I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who has had a similar experience and how you dealt with it? I would appreciate any help or advice as lucid dreaming is something Im very exited to explore and experience. Thank you all. <3

Physicsman

Re: Panicking when lucid!

Postby Physicsman » 21 Dec 2016 20:06

Hello, I'm sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I wanted to ask you a question, when did you wake up and what method did you use, I have not lucid dreamed before. Sorry I don't have an answer but maybe if I do have a lucid dream I can help. Thanks for answering question

danielab318

Postby danielab318 » 21 Dec 2016 20:47

Well Physicsman, to be completely honest with you I didn't practice a specific strategy, it sort of just happened when I realized that what was happening in the dream just wasn't making sense. I just kept thinking "this has to be a dream" "this has to be a dream" and then it was like a light turned on and I thought "THIS IS A DREAM!" But it felt so real in every way, even the sensations in my body that I got panicky and woke up...

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 24 Dec 2016 02:55

People generally have short lucid dreams when they first start because they get excited and their heart pumps faster resulting in them waking up. It happened to me my first time and it seems that what you're describing is similar to this. All you need to do is stay calm, perform a reality check, and stabilize the dream. After that, you can do pretty much anything! :D
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

Physicsman

Postby Physicsman » 26 Dec 2016 20:21

Hey! I think I found an answer to your question. I had my first lucid dream a couple days ago and I got pretty excited, I rubbed my hands together spun, and it stabilized. But the thing that made it end was somebody kept telling me to stop saying to myself "I know I am dreaming because the alien from the alien movie doesn't exist (that is how i found out I was dreaming). I ended up forgetting that I was dreaming. This gave me a possible solution to your problem! Because it is a dream, you can do whatever you wan't, so try making everything be super quiet, make the people stop talking, enter an area like a meadow, somewhere peaceful and quiet. Hopefully this helps

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jan 2017 10:02

I think you should give lucid dreaming a miss as I dont think you are really ready for it. Work on your anxiety and panic attacks.

If you keep trying to LD and wake yourself up due to panicing due to it, you will end up subconsciously programming yourself to wake up as soon as you enter a LD state and then it may become impossible for you to have a LD. The more times you do this, the more it will hinder your future chances of having a LD hence I think you should stop working on LD at this point of time and wait for a better time in your life when you have your anxiety issues more in control.

Not only the high chance of the above happening.. but if you panic easily right now, it also means you have a high chance of having a nightmarish LD (which also could put you off of doing LD completely). One can easily end up stuck in a SP state when trying to wake oneself up from a LD from a paniced state or create nightmarish stuck in dream senarios.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”