I figure you guys would be the ones to help

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jonsimmortal

I figure you guys would be the ones to help

Postby Jonsimmortal » 23 Dec 2016 08:21

Im going to try and make this quick but well rounded. Im a 20 year old male in college who lives in the US, for background.

I have not ever attempted to lucid dream on purpose. It just happens. And its always in nightmares.

In any case, I do not have the control that seems to be common in most of you. I cannot go third person. I don't know if it is lack of practice or the often panicked state I am in inside the nightmare when i become lucid. I wont rehash my old dreams too much, suffice it to say they are unpleasant.

Last night I had a new version. I cannot recall the beginning of the dream only the moments right before I became lucid. I was running and panicked. I imagine there was something really bad I was running from but I dont know. I snapped into lucidity and realized this was a dream. But as usual, I wanted out. Fast. I willed myself to wake up but could not. I felt a growing panic and I think my dream emotions were seeping back in and mixing with my lucidity because I was really freaking out. I ended up throwing my dream self at the ground repeatedly and violently, screaming at myself to wake up. I was imagining my room and my bed and the closet door i always see when I wake up but it took too long. I almost always snap out of it in one swoop and am back in bed but this time I was getting flashes of myself in bed but it would fade. I had to continue the unpleasant actions described above, with even more panicked urgency as I felt as if I was slipping away from myself every time my physical self came into view but faded.

I dont know what to do. I have been up for 24 hours now because i just dont know what to do if it happens again and it honestly makes me concerned to sleep...help?

-Jon

dizzyuluru

Re: I figure you guys would be the ones to help

Postby dizzyuluru » 24 Dec 2016 02:11

I personally have never had a nightmare but I have read that if you become lucid in your nightmare, you should stop and confront whatever is chasing you and ask it "Why are you chasing me? What do you represent?" (or something along those lines). If you do this, it should respond and the answer may help you discover what's causing the nightmares or how you can stop them. You should never let the fear get to you when you're lucid, as it can be worse than if you were not lucid.
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 25 Dec 2016 14:24

I don't know whether I can be much help, but I'll just share a few thoughts...

I could be totally wrong but it seems like your lucidity is of the low level kind??? It's like you're aware that you're dreaming but not too conscious??? I'm saying this cos I've had lots of lucid dreams where I've been able to think quite clearly and have thoughts like... "This is great. I hope I can keep this going without waking up???" I've heard the neighbours and thought stuff like... "Be quiet, I'll wake up if you make any more noise."

So basically staying lucid in this state is extremely hard. It's kinda like walking a tightrope.

I've had lucid dreams where I've had people get in my way of trying to do things. It's almost like they're attached to me and won't go away. I've found that taking off at ultra high speed often works. The problem is, I don't become lucid enough to find the answers very easily.

So I was thinking that if you're being chased, you could try and fly through the air when you're running. I find it difficult to gain speed whilst I'm actually flying, so running first seems to help a lot???

If things get really bad could you not just keep repeating a phrase such as "This isn't really happening".

I hope you manage to sort your problem out one way or another???

Good luck and happy Xmas!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 27 Dec 2016 18:35

If it were me here is what I would do: Every night when I am laying in bed I would picture the scenario you spoke of in your dream. But instead of running away, I would become Wolverine (from the X-Men comics/movies), pop my claws and take out what ever is after me. Just replay what you want to do next time you have the nightmare over and over again. When the dream comes and you realize it is a dream you should be ready.

Dreams are about your subconscious expectations. What you subconsciously "feel" is going to happen is what tends to happen. You will be training your subconscious mind to be ready to fight back.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Roussanne

Postby Roussanne » 27 Dec 2016 20:07

Hi Jon,
Dizzy is right, confronting your nightmare situation or character is the best way to end the nightmares forever. However, unlike Dizzy I have had nightmares so I know it is no easy task. Just keep in mind that when something keeps haunting your dreams, it wants something from you. It keeps following you for a reason. So think of it with love, kindness and forgiveness. Replay your nightmare over and over during your waking life, but practice reaching out to the situation or character with love. Then when you are dreaming, you will be able to turn and ask it what it wants, and how you can help. Put yourself into a mindset where you are not afraid to be of service, or even to sacrifice yourself if it will help. The situation or character will either tell you its problem or vanish.

Don't be discouraged if you continue to lose control to fear a few times. If you are motivated and practice, you will gain control and you will be amazed at how much easier it becomes after that. Be sure to rehearse frequently throughout the day, and not just at bedtime. You need to train your mind to react appropriately when least expected.

AleahAlate

Postby AleahAlate » 29 Dec 2016 03:01

I find that confrontation is the best way of discovering why you are having your nightmares. Our dreams are all creations of our subconscios, and understanding them helps us to understand ourselves. I know that not being able to wake up inside of a nightmare can be horrible. But perhaps looking at your lucidity as a gift would help. A lot of people have a very hard time becoming lucid, but lucidity gives you a chance to better understand the parts of you that you may not understand. All the enemies in your dream are a manifestation of yourself or your perception of someone else. Asking them why they are chasing you (or whatever they are doing) often elicits a very unexpected response. But whatever answer you get, should help you determine why the nightmare happened and what your subconscious is trying to tell you. Dreams can be very healing, even if they are frightening.
ALeahAlate

Jonsimmortal

Postby Jonsimmortal » 31 Dec 2016 20:52

[quote="Beethoven"]I don't know whether I can be much help, but I'll just share a few thoughts...

Thanks for your input!

I can kind of agree on the "low level" indictment. I read here and elsewhere that many people can direct their dreams or become a third party in them. I dont know if its that I don't or can't reach this level, Ive never tried. To my recollection Ive only become lucid in nightmares and my immediate desire and overriding thought when I do is that I want to wake up.

Ive also experienced the "neighbor" style of lucidity but I believe its a different level. In that I am usually on the cusp of waking up and like you describe, kind of on a tightrope but with the bottom if i fall being consciousness. In the dreams (nightmares) I described originally its not this tightrope but rather like if you were trying to claw out of cellophane. Imagine that your sleeping self is on one side but you cant quite reach it, the metaphorical cellophane acting as a barrier and the more you fight to get through it the more you feel as if you are suffocating while simultaneously being pulled away.

I have tried to tell myself that whats happening is a dream but due to the fact this is with nightmares the overriding thought when I feel the pain occurring or am being put through quite unpleasant scenarios is "i dont care if this is a dream i want out". Then when I am unable to wake myself immediately I become panicked that i am trapped in the nightmare against my volition and my feeling that I want out only becomes more frantic as the nightmare gets worse, which it always does after i become lucid.

Jonsimmortal

Postby Jonsimmortal » 31 Dec 2016 20:55

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions.

I appreciate it and wanted to thank you all for reading and replying. Ill take all your advice when I find myself in this again.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jan 2017 04:04

I have tried to tell myself that whats happening is a dream but due to the fact this is with nightmares the overriding thought when I feel the pain occurring or am being put through quite unpleasant scenarios is "i dont care if this is a dream i want out". Then when I am unable to wake myself immediately I become panicked that i am trapped in the nightmare against my volition and my feeling that I want out only becomes more frantic as the nightmare gets worse, which it always does after i become lucid.

As the others here said, the best way to deal with this is to actually face the thing you are fearing. Its the only way you will be able to emotionally overcome those scared feelings and once one faces something in a dream it tends to change the dream. The moment a person tries to flee from the thing they fear in a dream, it causes the fear emotions to intensify. Trying to awaken ones from a scary dream runs the risk of false awakenings where the situation may became even realer then what you are experiencing now to you.. but false awakenings with the scary stuff still there.

When you find yourself in this situation, remind yourself it is a dream and hence as its a dream, YOUR dream, this does give you some power over it. Yes one can feel pain in dreams and that in itself can be a concern (I broke my dream ribs while trying to fly in a LD and boy didnt that hurt!). Use your logic though that its a dream and remind yourself that to flee isnt the way to solve things here, to learn to gain control over the dream and your fears.

I've had two lucids in which I had to force myself to take control over the dream situation or it would of been very horrific. II'll share these and how I dealt with them.

I came too and found myself in a LD with yombies out to eat me and they had me cornered and nowhere to run (what a time to come lucid!!). As I know to try to wake oneself up to escape can make things worst as its feeding the fear (and Ive been stuck in false awakenings before), I decided to use this dream to face my fears of being hurt in a dream .. a fear Ive had since I really hurt myself during a LD when I broke my ribs.

So I decided I would allow the zombies to eat me though I was terrified. So I just layed down and allowed it (didnt fight) and kept telling myself that it possible not to feel pain during a LD. So these zombies then started to munch into me and to my surprise there wasnt any pain at all, they actually chewed my legs off eating them. It was such a strange feeling and this has certainly helped me deal with my fear of pain in LDs (though I still wont try flying again).

Another time during a LD, I had come to to find myself out in the middle of the ocean on a row boat. What was terrifying is there was a demon with glowing red eyes sitting on the seat right opposite me, next to me. He was sending waves of malice at me.. he wanted to kill me. On this occassion though I was terrified, I decided to try to turn him into something completely non fearful so shut my eyes (not easy when one is terrified) and thought of him becoming a small innocent child. When I opened them he was a tiny little child.

So face your fear so you can start to actually start enjoying your LDs.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”