Looking for some guidance from an expert dreamer!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
gravityproblems

Looking for some guidance from an expert dreamer!

Postby gravityproblems » 26 Dec 2016 18:05

I have had a lucid dream around 10 years ago - it was natural and it felt brilliant. But I did not know what it was until one day I watched "Waking Life" by Richard Linklater. But by then I was a heavy weed smoker - which means I had zero dream recall. After almost 6 years of smoking that stuff I decided to go off it (around a month ago). I started having a lot of dreams and that is when I decided I will make full use of it by going lucid and connecting with my subconscious. My dream recall has gone up and I am writing down around 2 dreams every night. I have been setting up alarms to for RC every hour of the day. However, good things don't always come easy right. I have been having the following problems:
1. WILD - I have always been regularly meditating for almost 3 years - it is a habit i developed when I smoked weed and wanted to use my high to create a higher sense of awareness. Hence I naturally decided that WILD would be an apt method for me to try. However, no success yet!I realized that I have been doing it wrong at first - that I lie down still on my back and concentrate too hard to actually fall asleep. Hence I get insomnia for hours before I just roll over and fall asleep. Even during naps I could try and just remain still and not even enter SP. I figured I'll let go a little bit more and came very close to the vibrations expected from SP. But at that time I realize I'm losing consciousness and my mind comes back to reality and I'm fully awake again (I do an RC anyway but still no dreamland). I have tried a lot of hypnosis videos but no results! Either I'm too awake to fall asleep, or I slip through consciousness to fall asleep. I feel extreme numbness in my hands and legs to the point that they start getting very uncomfortable.
2. DILD - This is the other method I put my faith in for now. With the RC's everyday and reading my dream journal to find more clues (my dreams are usually located in my hometown in India, but I live in Denmark now). For the last few weeks I have woken up for very vivid dreams and said to myself "How on earth did I not realize I was dreaming?". I mean, I saw my dead dog in my garden in India run around me - yesterday I saw a plastic snake flying in the air trying to bite me. The list goes on and on and on. I am hoping my constant RC's in waking life will provoke me to do a natural RC in dream life - so I'm holding on to my patience.

Sometimes its frustrating to lie in bed and realize you have been trying to achieve WILD for two hours and I feel like an idiot who lost precious sleep time. I know I have to be patient and be committed - and I am game! But if there is someone who has gone through similar experiences that they are welcome to give me some hints, tricks, advice etc that will serve as a guide to an amateur like me!

Thanks for reading through this long post!

Lots of love to all the lucid dreamers out there!

21 Savage

Re: Looking for some guidance from an expert dreamer!

Postby 21 Savage » 26 Dec 2016 23:13

I'm no expert but I tried the MILD method and it works best for me also keep a dream journal and frequently do RC's like you Said.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jan 2017 09:40

You going about it wrong in several ways and actually going to end up making it harder for yourself.

Firstly SP is an outcome for "some" who try to LD, its just a side effect of trying and shouldnt be something you should be aiming for as its completely unnecessary to go into SP before a WILD. and if fact if you do, then you still got the issue of going from experiencing the SP into having a good LD, so it can actually just be a hinderance. Those who naturally commonly experience SP can aim for the state and then go from there but those who dont, its not something you probably should even think about. A very good WILD transition will just go straight into the LD.

Secondly Im glad you have realised you are going wrong by trying to hard. That's one of the most common causes of WILD failure. To enter a dream you need to get a balance of where your mind is starting to drift eg to dream you need to allow yourself to start to go to sleep. Not the meditation state where you are holding a very strong focus with no mind drift at all (Im a yogi so used to be able to meditate all night.. whole 9hrs without a LD in a complete total focused observer as I are an accomplished meditator. That can be not constuctive at all to LD. One thing a very good meditator does is never fall asleep during meditation).

Meditation is useful for those who need to learn to relax and calm the mind for LD in those who arent experienced in meditation.. complete mind stillness watcher state, dont allow dreaming (well in my case it dont).

if you are mentally relaxing enough..going into WILD should be no different to if you were going to sleep except you have set an intent to LD and are observing be it watching the breathing or whatever (so you can be aware when you have entered the LD). It shouldnt take much longer then a person does to normally fall asleep as long as that person is in the right mind/body state (both very relaxed).

Beware.. if you train yourself to lay there for a long time without a LD.. you are creating a habit for yourself in doing this in future so it can hinder your future attempts and make them harder. Set yourself a reasonable time limit in which to succede and if you dont succede in that time try again another day. (actually the act of rolling over and going to sleep after a failed WILD attempt, for many can be what they need to finally relax enough to have a LD).

For the last few weeks I have woken up for very vivid dreams and said to myself "How on earth did I not realize I was dreaming?". I mean, I saw my dead dog in my garden in India run around me - yesterday I saw a plastic snake flying in the air trying to bite me. The list goes on and on and on. I am hoping my constant RC's in waking life will provoke me to do a natural RC in dream life

Another place you are kind of going wrong in. How will be waking up to strange things in dreams happen when you are programming yourself to reality check with an alarm? From what you said, you are not reality checking to "odd" or "strange" things in your life to program yourself to become aware at such times. What have you done to help you become aware of odd things?

And also.. as far as reality checking to alarms go.. unless you naturally have alarms in your dreams you are just relying on something which may not even be a common dream symbol for you to trigger you to reality check at, if that is the only time you reality check if an alarm goes off. Find a common dream symbol you get which you also have in your real life and reality check EVERY TIME you come across that.

You didnt mention what way you are reality checking.. be aware that is another area where some go wrong. Ive heard of many doing forms of reality checks that are just setting themselves up for failure.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

gravityproblems

Postby gravityproblems » 05 Jan 2017 22:21

Thank you very much for the reply. It was very enlightening. I have not yet achieved an LD yet and I've been journaling and attempting for quite a while now.
I've improvised my RC methods now. Instead of putting up alarming or doing RCs mindfully I do random checks at very sudden moments without thinking. After the reality check I say to myself - this is not a dream. I'm hoping this will be a more independent step than depending on alarms which were not working. I am hoping one day I'm gonna catch my self dreaming and induce a DILD
However, the WILD attempts during WBTB and naps have ended up with me tossing and turning like an insomniac so instead I've started trying the DEILD method. This morning though, I tried the WILD method and I felt really strong vibrations consuming my brain with a strong shrieking sound, I decided to let go and just observe but for some reason my eyelids opened and a small stream of sunlight killed it big time. Was I close enough? These things are such intimate experience that it is hard to know if I'm going the right way at all.

One more thing, can meditating during the day time and before sleep help me in lucid dreaming? I've heard from many that they compliment each other.

Thanks!

Return to “For Beginners”