First In-Dream Reality Check

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
AndrewT

First In-Dream Reality Check

Postby AndrewT » 27 Dec 2016 21:21

I dreamt my first lucid dream in a while last night. I realized I was dreaming simply by remembering myself falling asleep in bed… then suddenly I was driving in a small car that clearly I didn’t own or remember renting. I got out of the car, thinking I was going to try flying. But then I remembered I should test to see what reality checks work.

In that dream anyway, I found that the two-fingers in hand method did not work–my hand was solid. However, I found I was still able to breathe when I plugged my nose, so that’s likely a more reliable test to use. I think I was just barely under, as the sound of my CPAP came through when I plugged my nose and (successfully) took a breath. I woke up shortly after.

But then I repeated the method as I fell back asleep, and found myself in a hall full of partyers. It was a large log structure, over two stories high. I willed myself to rise up to the ceiling. I began rising, but found it harder the higher I rose. I barely got to the level of the ceiling when I needed to head back down. I was able to control my descent, until I touched the floor like a feature. I lost lucidity for the rest of the dream, the details of which are rather fuzzy.

These dreams didn’t come about by accident. This is a direct result of my knowledge in how to induce lucid dreams. I woke up in the middle of the night. As I fell asleep, I concentrated on the scenes of my last (non-lucid) dream, all the while repeating in my mind that the next time I dream, I will know I was dreaming. Goes to show the method I learned worked, at least for me.

taniaaust1

Re: First In-Dream Reality Check

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jan 2017 06:46

Congratulations on your LD

In that dream anyway, I found that the two-fingers in hand method did not work–my hand was solid. However, I found I was still able to breathe when I plugged my nose, so that’s likely a more reliable test to use.

Yes, if a reality check of any kind fails to work, dont use that one again as its far more likely not to work again.

You'd best have in mind one or two other reality checks, seeing the plugging the nose one may draw attention to you of your CPAP noise in your room, it may be better for you not to have any focus at all on the breathing stuff. If that wakes you up several times you may sensitize yourself into hearing the sound in dreams which could be problematic so I suggest to try other reality checks unrelated to breathing till you find a couple which work well for you.

These dreams didn’t come about by accident. This is a direct result of my knowledge in how to induce lucid dreams. I woke up in the middle of the night. As I fell asleep, I concentrated on the scenes of my last (non-lucid) dream, all the while repeating in my mind that the next time I dream, I will know I was dreaming.

that is a very good method to use as the person is already close to a dream state and programming to go back into a dream. It does tend to work well. For some reason not many seem to use this though. This method of cause will also help one to get back into an LD one was enjoying if one drops out of one. (At times Ive gone back in 3-4 times straight, extending my LD dreaming time using this method when Im getting close to my normal get up time so this is a very good LD skill to develop)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”