Why Aids Don't Sell

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
CosmickGold

Why Aids Don't Sell

Postby CosmickGold » 05 Jan 2017 20:02

I think the #1 reason why Lucid Dreaming Aids (and many other Kickstarter projects) fail to sell well any more, is because there have been far too many fake projects; too many times the project sponsors took the money, and then were never heard from again. You can find articles about this by searching Google. My first search was for 'kickstarter "take the money and run" ' . Seems people have lost their trust because of a few bad apples.

I too tried to sell a Lucid Dreaming Aid via Kickstarter, and it's failing badly. Mine was not fake at all. In fact, I worked diligently for two years, learning, building, testing, changing, and testing again; until I had what I think is a great product. Not "fake" at all. The advantage of mine is that it has far more features than any other I know of, all coordinated, working harmoniously together.

But people aren't buying. Over 500 have viewed my Kickstarter video about it, and out of those, only 5 have backed it. I would need 25 backers to make the project a success, which clearly isn't going to happen.

But perhaps there are other reasons people take a look and then head on their way. I don't know what these reasons are, but you might be able to tell me. My project is at luciddreamer.info. If you go there, watch the video, read the text, look at the pictures; please come back here and let me know what your reason would be for closing the window and moving on.

Venryx

Re: Why Aids Don't Sell

Postby Venryx » 09 Jan 2017 19:06

Watched the video, and pledged $15 myself.

As for why I didn't pledge more: mainly, the fact that no information was given on how *effective* the device actually is.

While I think lucid dreaming devices are the future, and that someday we'll crack it and make it a lot easier to have lucid dreams, doing so seems to be a non-trivial task: it requires careful design and a lot of iteration to make the device comfortable enough to wear every night, sensitive enough to reliably detect rem-sleep, and experience-based enough to know the best ways to then signal the person and trigger lucidity.

I'm glad there are people like you attempting to bring devices like this about, but I really think there needs to be more detailed information on what you've been discovering, and changing because of those discoveries, as you've been developing the products. I'd much rather have weak initial results that are laid out transparently and in-detail, then a "pulled curtain" behind which the creator may either by getting great results every night, or none at all--for most projects we have no way to tell, and no insight into the more general "creator thought-process" as they fiddle with the setup.

For example, for this project I'm very interested in how well the ir-based eye-movement detection system works. If it works well, that's really nice as it removes the need for precise contact between the device and the skin as for eeg sensors (i.e. reduces the need for pressure holding it to the forehead). But we're given no info on how accurate its detection abilities are.

One way to check would be to set up an infrared camera to record each night; then have your ir-sensor run a certain number of nights. Afterward, check all the times that it "detected" rem-sleep, and compare it with the recorded video. Then tally up the stats on what percentage of those "eye movements" were in fact legitimate eye-movements (as well as how many sessions it missed), and include that info somewhere on the project info page. That statistic alone, if reasonably high, would be enough to approximately quadruple the amount I'd be willing to pledge.

A similar story for how often the light and sound signals successfully trigger lucidity during rem-sleep sessions.

There are also some other issues, but the above is the main concern.

P.S. I'm also a developer (only software though, no hardware), and if you do get the hardware working well, I'd be willing to help you develop software for the project. EILD is the future, we just need to get each of the prerequisite steps solved (so far it seems each project is a hit and miss on rem-detection, lucidity signalling, comfort, general usability, and cost--we just need to get all five of these solved in the same product!).

Currently one of the things I'm experimenting with is having a text-to-speech engine speak various phrases with randomized pitch every 2 minutes, and have been getting interesting results. If you're interested, here is the forum thread on it, where I share my results as I get them, and will (after 30 lucids with it in lock-down) begin experimenting with modifications to the technique to maximize its potential: http://www.dreamviews.com/induction-techniques/162492-using-random-number-generation-catch-false-awakenings.html

I also had an earlier thread where I tried interfacing with the Muse EEG headband to detect rem-sleep, though eventually suspended that as I decided the main deficit atm is not rem-detection but rather what happens in way of signaling the user after that point. Perhaps at some point my experiments with signalling could be helpful for your device, for once it detects rem-sleep with its ir-sensors. I definitely think it will be benificial for the software side of things to be opened up more to crowd-sourced development; it just takes too much careful work for one person to solve all the challenges simultaneously. So I hope that if your project succeeds, you'll be open to receiving research and contributions to its development! (on the software side of things anyway)

Anyway, good luck with your kickstarter, and I hope my comments are helpful.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”